MIDI velocities get strange when using Import MIDI

reevant

After a day of extreme frustration reading and discovery, creating  test midi files in Cakewalk and Reaper I found that both Reaper and Cakewalk do in fact treat velocities in the same way.  I arrived at that by checking the velocity layers in a Kontakt patch I created.

However if I “Import MIDI” the velocities are not at all what I would expect.  If I “Open” (not import) the MIDI file all seems fine (in early testing).

This strongly suggests to me the “Import MIDI” function has issues.  (But at least I know not to use it).

I know something like this was raised in another post but I was still not clear on that as the posts got very long winded.

I would suggest that a bug is put in to fix the import function.

my thoughts

Tony

If there's an issue, it would have to be very new. What exactly are you seeing/hearing? Basically you're saying that if you open a MIDI file as a new project, and then import that same file into a new track(s) in the same project that corresponding events won't have the same velocities. Is that right? Can you share an example file?

Edited by David Baay

Actually I cannot repeat how I got it to work.   And, I don’t think it’s new I read something else about it somewhere.

basically if I import a MIDI File most likely originally generated in Reaper.  Run it into Kontakt the velocity levels are totally different.

I’m still to do more testing.  I thought I had it but maybe not.

thanks Tony

Actually, after much investigation it turns out that my Kontakt had a velocity curve set at the multi level which was changing the velocities from Cakewalk on the way into Kontakt.  (I don’t know the velocity curve was put there, I didn’t even know such a thing existed).

sorry all

Tony