"Meter Options" Changes Never Stick

My dear Bakers, whom I have loved dearly for so many years, and whom I continue to love,

One of my pet peeves over the years is that the meter options I set for a project are rarely if ever retained for very long.  It seem like every few days or weeks I have to go in and reset them all to my preferred settings.  What makes it particularly bothersome is that there are so many different things I have to repeatedly change and for each change you have to do multiple clicks  because the menu doesn't stay open after each change.  

For instance - I ALWAYS want the bus, track and record meters to "Show", "Hold" and "Lock" peaks and to show "Peak and RMS" levels.  So that is 4 options I have to check for each of the 3 types of meters and each of those choices requires me to first go through the 3-click "Options>Meter Option> (types of meter)" menu and then reopen it each time for each selection.   That is a total of 36 different clicks.  And that doesn't even count having to also go through  the 2-click ""Options>Meter Option" sequence to also set "Show Numeric peak", "Show Bus Peak" and "Show Track Peak."  That is 9 more clicks.  So just to get things back to the way I want them, I have to make 45 different clicks.   And sometimes I also have to change back to horizontal meters from vertical - but that only requires 3 more clicks.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but having to do this repeatedly on the same project is crazy making.  And it happens on every project!

Is there possibly a software fix for this?  Or some kind of solution or workaround?  Is there a trick in Windows 10 to keep the menus open so I can make all my changes without having to repeatedly go through the same sequences of clicks to reopen for every option change?   (My carpal tunnel is bad enough with all my obsessive cutting, pasting and dragging of clips.)

Thanks,  Bill

Edited by BRainbow
  • Like 1

I would first ask myself why,

What triggers the meters to change, is it a new project, is it an existing project which the change occurs ?

Now as far as I know there are no bugs in the meters resetting themselves (though ive been wrong before). The only thing that could possibly be changing your meters is using a Lens (or maybe a locked Screenset < im not sure on the Screenset). You might also be able to quick group meter changes. This would save you potential clicks until you figure out why your meter settings are changing.

Hmm.  Thanks, guys.  I don't use lenses or screensets.  This happens on existing projects that I've been working on and off for months (sometimes years) so I am not starting with a new template, although that's a great idea for new projects. 

How would I "quick group" the changes?  These are global settings within each project, not per track or per bus.  Nothing needs to be selected to change them or apply them.

Thank you,

Bill

Going thru Options > Meter Options has always worked for me. Rightclick changes won't stick beyond your current session.

Even so , the current meter settings process is quite clunky. As for the # of repeated clicks on the menu tab to get everything in order, I requested - in The Bakery which is no longer in existence - a consolidated meter menu in Preferences so you could make all your clicks in one comprehensive window.

meters-idea3.jpg

As it is, you don't even know if the box you clicked was even selected as the window poofs off screen before visual confirmation can be made. :S

Edited by sjoens

On 4/9/2019 at 6:45 PM, sjoens said:

Going thru Options > Meter Options has always worked for me. Rightclick changes won't stick beyond your current session.

Even so , the current meter settings process is quite clunky. As for the # of repeated clicks on the menu tab to get everything in order, I requested - in The Bakery which is no longer in existence - a consolidated meter menu in Preferences so you could make all your clicks in one comprehensive window.

meters-idea3.jpg

As it is, you don't even know if the box you clicked was even selected as the window poofs off screen before visual confirmation can be made. :S

This is a great idea!