Using a Casio WK-1200 For MIDI

Dean

I hope this is the right place.  Can a Casio keyboard WK-1200 be used with Cakewalk?  I did the DIN plugs for the keyboard into the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4.  Turned on MIDI on the keyboard.  Turned off Local Control.  Selected  a basic project.  In the MIDI track I made sure I had Focusrite for the input and output.  tried recording and the sound meters went up and down.  The track shows something recorded but no sound when playing the track back.  Need more info let me know.

Thanks

On 5/12/2021 at 6:34 PM, Dean said:

I hope this is the right place.  Can a Casio keyboard WK-1200 be used with Cakewalk?  I did the DIN plugs for the keyboard into the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4.  Turned on MIDI on the keyboard.  Turned off Local Control.  Selected  a basic project.  In the MIDI track I made sure I had Focusrite for the input and output.  tried recording and the sound meters went up and down.  The track shows something recorded but no sound when playing the track back.  Need more info let me know.

Thanks

I am a newbie so I can only say this: I had the same problem, since I have no external interface, and it was maddening. You MUST use some sort of interface, just hitting the notes with a mouse won't record. Use VIEWS and pick the keyboard controller. Once you are using that, then it will record. It is really just a temporary solution until you have an external, I suppose. I don't know much beyond that, but maybe this will help.

PS- I also enabled the default GS Microsoft Wavetable Synth in MIDI preferences, I think you gotta do that as well.

Edited by Steve Hildner
added thought

Your Casio keyboard will definitely work for recording, but maybe not the way you think. It sends MIDI information to the computer, those are the lines/bars you see on the track view after recording. Those notes by themselves don't have an sound; you need to select a virtual instrument to actually play the notes and produce some audio.

You have a few basic instruments included with CbB: try using the SI Electric Piano. From the menu, click Insert -> New Soft Synth and select Cakewalk -> SI Electric Piano; from the dialog box check  Simple Instrument Track.

After the new track is created, drag the MIDI notes from the first track onto the new track. That should give you some sound.

Yes John.  That is the tutorial I used to get my Korg EX to produce the sounds from the actual Korg EX and it works just fine.  Thank you very much for the tutorial!  So using the same procedure for the Casio.  So with the Casio I set the Casio up for using MIDI.  Then following your wonderful tutorial, thanks again.  I get what I assume is a recording but no sound.  

Mike, thanks for the reply.  I have a Focusrite 4i4 that I use for my Korg EX and following John's tutorial it works just fine.

Steve, thanks for the reply.  I didn't try   "default GS Microsoft Wavetable Synth in MIDI preferences".

bdickens

These are the settings on the three tracks

1.Audio track-Input-left focusrite USB ASIO input 3-output-focusrite USB ASIO output 3

2.MIDI track-Input focusrite USB MIDI omni-output 1 focusrite USB MIDI

3.Si-String Section-input left focurite USB ASIO input 3-output-focusrite USB ASIO output 3

On the Casio the settings are GM Mode-on, keyboard ch 01, chord-off, Local-off, AcompOut-off.  I don't know if these make a difference.

The second track says there is a recording and the sound will play but only on the Casio with the correct Casio sounds, not in Cakewalk.  I can save the file but it will not play sounds in Cakewalk.

MikeZ do I drag the notes from the second track where they are to the third track? (After the new track is created, drag the MIDI notes from the first track onto the new track. That should give you some sound.)

Thanks

On 5/18/2021 at 9:21 AM, Dean said:

bdickens

These are the settings on the three tracks

1.Audio track-Input-left focusrite USB ASIO input 3-output-focusrite USB ASIO output 3   This should be to your Master buss the Master should go to Focusrite 1 unless your using the 3/4 outputs to run your studio monitors. Most people use 1/2. 

2.MIDI track-Input Focusrite USB MIDI omni-   output 1 Focusrite USB MIDI  This is correct if you are using outboard synths. For testing it is much simpler to start with a VST instrument. Using outboard gear is more advanced and you can sort that out later. Besides the VST instruments available are unlimited and much better sound than GM sounds of most home keyboards. So set this output to the SI strings to test all is working. 

3.Si-String Section-input left focurite USB ASIO input 3-   This is not needed as the Midi track ( 2?) will be the input source. 

output-focusrite USB ASIO output 3  This should also go to your master bus. 

On the Casio the settings are GM Mode-on, keyboard ch 01, chord-off, Local-off, AcompOut-off.  I don't know if these make a difference.

The second track says there is a recording and the sound will play but only on the Casio with the correct Casio sounds, not in Cakewalk.  I can save the file but it will not play sounds in Cakewalk.   This is because you are using the midi output instead of pointing the track at the VST instrument  -- at least that is working correctly if you need it.  

MikeZ do I drag the notes from the second track where they are to the third track? (After the new track is created, drag the MIDI notes from the first track onto the new track. That should give you some sound.)

You record to the midi track and set the output of the midi track to the VST instrument you want to trigger. If you use a Simple instrument track then the midi data can be recorded directly to that track. 

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you John!

I spent the last couple of days (not all day) with the Casio WK-1200 and am now able to hear the sounds and record them from the keyboard through Cakewalk.  

What a treat!  Have a great day.

Dean

I believe I have one of those Casio’s WK’s in the closet.. The last time I used it in Cakewalk, it worked just fine for recording midi. Eventually, I bought a Roland Juno-Gi years ago, so I haven’t had the Casio out in a least 6 or 7 years. I've even used the smaller Casio’s with midi, and they worked just fine (they just have tiny keys) lol . But they worked just fine !! 👍🏼👍🏼

Edited by Smokey Toobs Sr
Improper spelling..

I wanted to be able to record certain sounds from that keyboard.  So that is why I am happy to be able to hear and record them.  This Cakewalk program is a steep learning curve and progress is slow.   Have a great day!