SOLVED: Behringer UMC202HD Not Recognized

Tom Ham

Setting up a new computer with CbB. The PC has Realtek built-in sound, and that worked fine for a couple of days when I was just playing stuff back. But When I plugged in the audio interface to record, Cakewalk stopped playing sound. In Preferences| Driver Settings, my only choice is "Realtek ASIO HD Audio. The Behringer does not show up at all, and no other ASIO, WDM or WASAPI drivers show up either. In Device Manager I have disabled the Nvidiia audio drivers. In the Windows sound control panel, the Behringer is listed as the default input and output. I have uninstalled the driver, rebooted and reinstalled the latest one. I have uninstalled Cakewalk and reinstalled. 

At various times I have seen these error messages:

• The default sample rate and bit depth is not supported by one or more sound cards. All audio ports have been disabled.
  • Unable to open audio playback device. Device may not support the current project's audio format or may be in use.

I have switched the default bit rate and resolution in the Windows sound control panel back and forth from 24/48k to 16'14.4k, but still Cakewalk won't make any sound.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Thanks!

Edited by Tom Ham
It's working. Thanks Everyone!

5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Did you install the ASIO driver from the Behringer's support page under downloads? 

https://www.behringer.com/downloads.html

And make sure you install the right one for your system.

I have the UMC 404HD model and  works perfectly well  with the 4.59 version.

The 5.0 version didn't work at all, and the manufacturer recommends installing this one only if the other doesn't work.

See screenshot.

Screenshot.png

37 minutes ago, Andres Medina said:

I have the UMC 404HD model and  works perfectly well  with the 4.59 version.

The 5.0 version didn't work at all, and the manufacturer recommends installing this one only if the other doesn't work.

The only documentation I found on the Behringer website is a PDF "Quick Start" guide, and in there I can't find where the manufacturer makes this recommendation. May I ask where you found it?

Yes that's pretty important. Why on earth would they update to a broken driver? And how would any body know that as like @Larry Jones I can't find that info. And is this for your device only or for all in the series? But it might explain the OP's issue if they are using a bad version of the driver. Behringers drivers have always been a bit of a quandary. Like they even are recommending ASIo4all which is totally not needed any more because Windows uses WASAPI. Are they that out of touch with Windows? 

It would be a shame if they can't supply a good ASIO driver because the Hardware seems to offer the best bang for the buck in features. 

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

It would be a shame if they can't supply a good ASIO driver because the Hardware seems to offer the best bang for the buck in features. 

I don't own any Behringer stuff, and I'm not a coder, but I suspect good drivers are harder to make than good hardware.

11 hours ago, Hatstand said:

I also have a 404 and didn't know about a v5.0 driver. I am using 4.59 with no issues though on the latest win10 build.

Same here. Would note that after one of the recent recent minor Win10 upgrades, when I opened Cakewalk it had ASIO4ALL drivers showing in Options. I switched it back to the UMC404 ASIO drivers and all continues to work fine. Just pointing out that there may have been some "glitch" in recent minor upgrades from Microsoft that impacted Cakewalk, but for me not worth the time to figure it out and easy to remedy.

15 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

The only documentation I found on the Behringer website is a PDF "Quick Start" guide, and in there I can't find where the manufacturer makes this recommendation. May I ask where you found it?

Sure: it's in the ReadMe file when you download the 5.0 driver. 

Enclosed a copy if it helps.

UMC-Series_DriverV5-ReadMe_2021-02-25.pdf

32 minutes ago, Andres Medina said:

...it's in the ReadMe file when you download the 5.0 driver.

Thank you. Yes, I saw that readme. It just says "If you're using already one of the named interfaces without any trouble, there is no need to install this driver." Since the OP was setting up a new computer, I assume he did not have any driver installed, so the logical one to use would be the newest one, right?

Note to @Tom Ham: Did the 4.59 driver work for you?

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

Why on earth would they update to a broken driver? And how would any body know that as like @Larry Jones I can't find that info. And is this for your device only or for all in the series? But it might explain the OP's issue if they are using a bad version of the driver. Behringers drivers have always been a bit of a quandary...

Up to some point Behringer had an excellent high quality ASIO driver developed by Ploytec for most of their interfaces. Later on they replaced it quietly with something undefined, maybe their own driver, idk. So perhaps the license for the previous came to end at some point or maybe they parted ways for whatever reason. Anyway that's all I know, hope it can help understanding some of their decisions.

Edited by chris.r

I'm running 5.0 on my UMC204HD and it's works fine.  I don't remember any pain upgrading to it even.  But I deal with stuff like that so much it kind of all blurs.

Behringer's used ASIO4ALL only for the entry model in this line, all the rest had real audio drivers.  And yes that was a bad call.

Uninstall and/or disable every audio device on your computer (including the old Behringer drivers).  So for me that means I turn off the Realtek in the BIOS and I disable the nVidia HDMI audio device (and always use the custom option when upgrading so I can deselect the audio driver).  After uninstalling all of this (and especially any ASIO4ALL instalations) be sure to clean reboot (without the audio interface connected).  Then install the Behringer driver.  Reconnect the device.

You may also want to remove any ASIO drivers you aren't planning to use.  Instructions are here:
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206633450-How-to-delete-old-ASIO-device-entries

It's working now. Thanks everyone!

I tried all the available drivers from the Behringer website and none of them worked. When I was uninstalling I noticed that in the list of programs in Windows Control Panel, the Behringer driver was taking up no drive space at all - the size was listed as zero. I downloaded the latest driver one last time and as a last resort I excluded the setup file from my antivirus (McAfee). I've never had to do this before and I can't say if that's what did the trick but this time the driver installed and worked. One note: I have to use WASAPI. When I try to switch to ASIO CbB freezes and I have to close it to get back into Preferences.

1 hour ago, Tom Ham said:

One note: I have to use WASAPI. When I try to switch to ASIO CbB freezes and I have to close it to get back into Preferences.

That's not working, and yes your anti-virus most likely broke the driver install.  Might want to try disabling it completely before doing the install.

On 5/12/2021 at 2:07 PM, Larry Jones said:

Thank you. Yes, I saw that readme. It just says "If you're using already one of the named interfaces without any trouble, there is no need to install this driver." Since the OP was setting up a new computer, I assume he did not have any driver installed, so the logical one to use would be the newest one, right?

Note to @Tom Ham: Did the 4.59 driver work for you?

Yes, you are right - it's not suggesting to use 4.59 instead of 5.0 - my mistake.

Anyway, I did a few tests, and here are the results: 

Driver 5.0 working just fine.

I did uninstall completely both drivers: 4.59 driver and ASIO4ALL - Restart PC - Install 5.0 driver - Restart PC

So far, everything is working just fine.

Sad update: Not working again. When I went back to this today and plugged my bass into the Behringer interface, Cakewalk crashed. This is with the latest driver from Behringer's website. The previous driver didn't work for me, and the newest driver only allowed WASAPI, which I was happy to use (as long as it worked). Now I'm back to ground zero. Only thing I can think is that the old bad drivers are not getting completely removed in the "uninstall" process, but I don't knwo what I can do to fix that -- or even if that's the real problem. Thanks to all who tried to help me with this. (By the way, Behringer's online support is next to useless.) It's a great box, as long as you don't need any assistance from the manufacturer 🤔)