Mixing in sound output for another Windows sound device

Raj G

Question

I am a digital piano hobbyist who is just starting to learn Cakewalk by Bandlab for personal purpose.

I use Piano VST hosted inside Cakewalk on Windows 10 PC. I use PianoMarvel.com website for learning Piano. This website plays sounds (accompaniment etc.). I need to be able to hear both the sounds from the VST and the sound from the website together. 

I have two sound devices in the PC:

1. Realtek sound chip on the motherboard. Cakewalk uses this using ASIO4ALL ASIO driver.
  2. HDMI output -> that can carry sound to the HDMI display and the HDMI display has a headphone output. This is the default Windows 10 sound device. So, the website sounds play on this sound device.

Since I need to hear both of these sounds, I have connected a cable from the HDMI display headphone output to the Line In for the Realtek on-board sound. I added a track in the Bandlab to mix in the Line In. Now, I can hear both the sounds.

While this works, the Line In adds a lot of hiss and noise. The sound is going through DAC -> ADC conversion which I would like to avoid.

So, is there a way to directly capture the digital sound going to another sound device and add it as a track in Cakewalk?

Hope I explained it well enough. If not, please let me know.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question