Audio Pops and Crackling During Playback while Mixing

On 4/15/2019 at 6:53 PM, Gswitz said:

I exempt all wav files from scanning in addition to exes etc. I found that when I would stop a long recording the scanner would suddenly scan the waves. This would press processor for a few minutes and potentially cause IO driven dropouts.

Exactly - so the drives where my sample libraries reside hold nothing else, so I exclude those drives in their entirety, and then I also exempt the VST64 folder in Program Files, as well as the VST3 folder, as well as the Cakewalk Projects folder and the Cakewalk Content, and the AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk folder.  I think that about does it - oh yeah, also Program Files\Cakewalk.

5 hours ago, Twisted Fingers said:

Thanks Craig. I was only using the Izotope Production Suite and they're all up to date.

Hey, I might have missed it, but if you are on a laptop or a desktop and with either, are using WiFi, or have a WiFi transmitter turned, those are NOTORIOUS for causing audio problems.  When I am on my laptop, I always turn the actual transmitter off - or, you can disable the WiFi device until after finishing the Cakewalk/Sonar session.

The other thing I would mention is that I have a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port on it, which I sought deliberately, and I bought a UAD Arrow for it, mostly not used for recording, but to act as my D/A converter for live performance with VST Hosting software for my soft synths.  I am not sure what your needs are, as far as features and ports, but for what I use the UAD Arrow for, it works AMAZINGLY fast, with data transfers across the Thunderbolt 3 cable screaming fast.  Only has 2 combo ins and a Hi-Z though.  I got mine for $499 from Sweetwater, which seems to be the standard price I have seen them for.

Building myself a monster desktop with an AMD-based CPU and motherboard, well that is one thing  I rather regret - because I did not know at the time that that computer would not be able to add Thunderbolt 3 support, as the motherboard would need a header on it, and I understand that, at least when I bought the parts, that Thunderbolt 3 was only licensed to Intel-based motherboards.  Bit of a bummer, because I would have shot the wad on getting Thunderbolt 3 support for that desktop, were it available, as there are also now several Thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces with lots of inputs and outputs and features.

Anyways, I hope any of the above stuff is of any help,

Bob Bone

On 4/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, Robert Bone said:

Hey, I might have missed it, but if you are on a laptop or a desktop and with either, are using WiFi, or have a WiFi transmitter turned, those are NOTORIOUS for causing audio problems.  When I am on my laptop, I always turn the actual transmitter off - or, you can disable the WiFi device until after finishing the Cakewalk/Sonar session.

The other thing I would mention is that I have a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port on it, which I sought deliberately, and I bought a UAD Arrow for it, mostly not used for recording, but to act as my D/A converter for live performance with VST Hosting software for my soft synths.  I am not sure what your needs are, as far as features and ports, but for what I use the UAD Arrow for, it works AMAZINGLY fast, with data transfers across the Thunderbolt 3 cable screaming fast.  Only has 2 combo ins and a Hi-Z though.  I got mine for $499 from Sweetwater, which seems to be the standard price I have seen them for.

Building myself a monster desktop with an AMD-based CPU and motherboard, well that is one thing  I rather regret - because I did not know at the time that that computer would not be able to add Thunderbolt 3 support, as the motherboard would need a header on it, and I understand that, at least when I bought the parts, that Thunderbolt 3 was only licensed to Intel-based motherboards.  Bit of a bummer, because I would have shot the wad on getting Thunderbolt 3 support for that desktop, were it available, as there are also now several Thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces with lots of inputs and outputs and features.

Anyways, I hope any of the above stuff is of any help,

Bob Bone

Bob, thanks. My ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard has WiFi capability but I didn't install the software or the antenna and don't see WiFi interface in Device Manager.

I did install the Thunderbolt 3 card but have never used it. I want to improve my recording and mixing capabilities before I spend any more on stuff.

• Great Idea 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, Twisted Fingers said:

Thanks razor7music.  That's existing post is pretty old, but a lot of the discussion seems relevant.  My Record and Playback I/O buffer size is 512 kB by default. I don't recall ever adjusting them. The 64-bit Double Precision Engine on but I don't believe that's a problem. My CPU is idling along at under 10% of capacity.

Just a thought...have you tried freezing your midi tracks one at a time to see at least if its a particular track is doing this.  i had a similar problem and freezing sorted it.  My laptop isnt a great spec so I have to freeze midi tracks if Im adding in a lot of them such as synths etc. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I had a crackling problem with my new Clarett 2pre when I set it up today with CbB.  I found this thread, so perhaps this will help someone else.

The solution was to increase the Latency slider to 8ms. After I did that, there were no pops or scratchy sounds, just music on playback. This was with multiple instances of Kontakt, Omnisphere, and other plugins.

This automatically increased the buffer size in the Clarett driver.

-- Martin

Edited by Martin Schiff

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Brian Jones said:

Thank you.  Changing from  ASIO from 128 to 256 on mixing removed the clicking and popping..   My ears thank you.

When mixing, what I have heard changing buffers even higher, like to 1024, can make a big difference. Low buffers are only really needed when tracking. and recording, especially with live effects or instruments.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem (I have the CbB 2020.08 )

When I use Ozone 9 to master, Mix etc... when I playback.. there are a lot of Pops and Crackling. I'm in 1024 buffer size, smaple rate 48000khz. I have a Good computer (Intel 7 4790k, 32 GB RAM, SSD State Solid etc...) The same happens with other plugins. I'm disapointed of Cakewalk by BandLab (I know is Free but) I've made test in others DAW (as FL Studio) and everything's o.k (no Pops, no Noise.. and no Cracking)

I'm thinking go away to other DAW.. I can't do nothing Big in CbB... and it hurts me because I love Cakewalk more than any other DAW... I don't know if the problem is Drivers from my Tascam US-2x2.. but as I said.. in Fl Studio there are no problems about it...

¡HELP! I just have 2 Tracks, 3 single Plugins and a lot of Pops and Crackling...

I don't want to go away from CbB

2020-08-15 (1).png

16 minutes ago, Jose Guadalupe Garcia Garcia said:

I'm in 1024 buffer size, smaple rate 48000khz.

Everything in the image shows the project and interface are running at 96kHz

Since there is no audio in the project change the sample rate in preference screen shown in the image to 48kHz and the project will change to 48kHz automatically. Make sure the interface is running at the same sample rate. Then see what happens.,

A big breakthrough for me in combatting crackling (I can't recall the thread that enlightened me, sorry) was when I understood that when I have SampleTank3 or 4 running, and say twelve instruments loaded across twelve MIDI tracks and channels, the load on my PC is far less if I load a lot more instances of SampleTank, in this case I would load three, each instance loaded with four instruments, or even four with three instruments each.  It still seems daft to me and kind of counter-intuitive, but I guess it's a 'feature' 😡 of ST.  Other samplers may exhibit the same behaviour, I don't know.

Oh, yes, and like Bob Bone said earlier, I have to keep toggling between 64 or 128 samples for tracking, and 1024 or even 2048 for mixing down, etc.  Another 'feature' that we non-technical folk understand but find clunky in this day and age.  Knowing the technical origins, ins and outs of these things doesn't make them acceptable, sorry!  I did once suggest CW had a quick toggle button, e.g. that could be put in the custom command module of the control bar) that users could set the sample parameters for, e.g. 128/1024, but it got short shrift, so I continue to open Prefs, Driver Settings, etc., etc. every time I want to make the change. 😒

Edited by Skyline_UK

2 minutes ago, Skyline_UK said:

I did once suggest CW had a quick toggle button that users could set the sample parameters for, e.g. 128/1024, but it got short shrift, so I continue to open Prefs, etc., etc. every time I want to make the change. 

In the past this was not possible because a DAW could not change the ASIO buffer size. To change buffer size required using a ASIO client supplied by the driver manufacturer. Recently this has changed and starting with 2019.11 CbB supports sending buffer size requests to the driver. Unfortunately not all ASIO driver manufacturers support this feature.

9 hours ago, scook said:

Everything in the image shows the project and interface are running at 96kHz

Since there is no audio in the project change the sample rate in preference screen shown in the image to 48kHz and the project will change to 48kHz automatically. Make sure the interface is running at the same sample rate. Then see what happens.,

I know... in the Picture apears that way (96kHz) but believe me, I tried all sample rates (from 44hz to 96hz) and it is the same problem...

On 8/15/2020 at 9:22 PM, Skyline_UK said:

I did once suggest CW had a quick toggle button, e.g. that could be put in the custom command module of the control bar) that users could set the sample parameters for, e.g. 128/1024, but it got short shrift, so I continue to open Prefs, Driver Settings, etc., etc. every time I want to make the change. 😒

Or (better?) implement some mode like other DAWs do where non-realtime tracks (ie. no input monitoring) playback at a higher/multiple of the ASIO buffer.  Even if you have to click a button when you want it to activate (on all tracks for mixdown), it's clearly doable - hopefully on the Bakers' radar (and close up at that too).

• Great Idea 4

8 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Or (better?) implement some mode like other DAWs do where non-realtime tracks (ie. no input monitoring) playback at a higher/multiple of the ASIO buffer.  Even if you have to click a button when you want it to activate (on all tracks for mixdown), it's clearly doable - hopefully on the Bakers' radar (and close up at that too).

I like that, it's a brilliant model and could easily make our standard small/large buffer switching obsolete. Should be a standard.

• Like 1

I beg your pardon Cakewalk by Band Lab... CbB was o.k 

(a) First: 

One the problem was the bad-Performance and Settings of Windows 10 for Audio-Production. Let's be honest,  everybody wants to Record, Mixing & Master music using a DAW and at the same time enjoy Social Networks & Mutimedia (Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Web Cam.. etc...) You can choose both, but you have to turn off some of caracteristics of Windows to be able performance much better the DAW's integration.. and that's what I did...

I want to thank to this video for the help:

(b) Second:

As you know I was having a lot of problems with Audio & Pugins through Cakewalk (Pops, Noise, and Crackling during Recording, Playback & Mixing) despite of have a powerful PC.. and the solution was too: I had to delete these two files (AUD & AUD.INI) C:\Users\"pc-name"\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core) and That's it... cakewalk regenerate automatically these files once reopen the Program. 

Thanks! now I'M HAPPY.. no NOISE, no Pops, no Cracking.. all Good... (y) I also got back 7GB of RAM memory...

Edited by Jose Guadalupe Garcia Garcia