Theme: EVA 01 (with color preset) major updates

Starship Krupa

Note: these versions of EVA 01 have been moved to the Archive folder in the Dropbox folder. They will not be updated.

Purple, orange, green and black. Those are the distinctive colors of EVA 01, the bio-mecha piloted by Shinji Ikari, the protagonist of classic anime series Neon Genesis: Evangelion. After deciding I liked the look of the mecha, I found the exact color numbers used and set about changing as many Cakewalk UI elements to them as I could (minus certain buttons that I consider standardized). I've tried to work in a few things that I don't usually see customized, and tried out some new techniques involving use of transparency.

There is a "flat" version for people who prefer that, it's the same theme with most of the gradients removed.

Apologies for odd or incomplete images. This time around I tried to figure out which images and button states are never displayed and left those out of my theming. This may have had some unintended consequences I didn't uncover. It also uses a version of the color presets I came up with for Racing Green that allow for greater visibility of grid lines.

Fans of the franchise, enjoy. People who want an out-of-the-ordinary high contrast color scheme, also enjoy. If you like it or have any critiques, post here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ax7xeox3a5t003v/AABtPXXXSOxwJAkOH-fbyHRfa?dl=0

1655184616_EVA01Flat.thumb.jpg.8b5e1e416df668d8340ba097d84ed2a2.jpg

Update: the Console View in the original was just too "loud" with the purple separators, so I changed that color to a muted green.

(Note: Track icons for Instrument and Synth tracks use the YLIP convention, where the icon for a Synth track is a picture of a synthesizer keyboard, and the icon for an Instrument track (which combines MIDI and Synth tracks) is a combination of both the MIDI and Synth icons. If anyone would like it the other way 'round, just ask.)

Update: 5/18/2021 Added images for Meter/Key (and related) dialogs, minor image changes and recoloring

Update 5/24/2021 Updated many images

Edited by Starship Krupa
Deprecated
  • Like 2

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Purple aside, I do like the crisp clear Control Bar and I'm getting twitchy about making a theme with a similar feel. And I am NOT a fan of dark UIs.

... I assume it is not quite ready for download, yet?

Edited by Colin Nicholls

5 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

I hear ya. But a big part of the exercise was to see what I could do while restricting myself to 4 colors. I think the first thing I'm going to adjust is the Console View separators. That's just too eye-popping.

1 hour ago, Colin Nicholls said:

My first thought was "The Joker" from Batman.

Yes!! The cover of Batman: The Killing Joke. It hadn't occurred to me that it might not be a coincidence that EVA 01's color scheme is not dissimilar.

Okay, well, thanks to your input, I toned down the Console View by making Background #1 a darker (via transparency) green. No more loud purple in the Console View.

There is an intended positive psychological effect here, BTW. The Track View has all the purple/orange, which increases alertness for recording, editing and comping, while the Console View is now more subdued for long haul mixing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I do like the crisp clear Control Bar

I used the trick from YLIP of setting the background color via the medium Custom Module background. Then I changed some of the module backgrounds to full transparent. It was an experiment in getting away from the Control Bar being made up of modules that are like tiles and more toward the idea of it being a monolithic surface that can be customized, if that makes sense. I don't think the modules need to look separate from each other.

I had some fun with the Ripple Edit button, making an oblong transparent cutout for the "off" state. With my purple menu bar, the orange text stands out and helps draw the eye to it

One element that frustrated me was the Track view Now Time display background. I guess it's not themeable, and it's a lighter grey. I don't really use it, so not a big deal for me, but when it's enabled, it stands out where I'd like the numbers to appear over the same color as the surrounding element.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, Colin Nicholls said:

I do like the crisp clear Control Bar and I'm getting twitchy about making a theme with a similar feel.

Specifically, what aspects of my Control Bar theming contribute to the crispness 'n' clarity? I'd like to know what I'm doing right.

One thing I do as I go through the button and tab images is rather than just altering the hue, I pixel edit them to eliminate the native edge blur. I was concerned that this might have a negative effect, such as introducing jaggies, but it has the effect of giving the images greater legibility, to my eyes.

Major update to  EVA 01 (and Racing Green).

It introduces new images for Inspector and Browser, larger more easily visible single arrows instead of the small double arrows and +/- signs used most places in Cakewalk to expand track headers and show and hide panels. There are also new sharper images for the EQ graticules in Console/ProChannel. I also updated many images with sharper, more legible graphics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ax7xeox3a5t003v/AABtPXXXSOxwJAkOH-fbyHRfa?dl=0

1790622675_EVA01crop.thumb.jpg.f571a2395d7066029205b5901acec323.jpg