Cajon and Cello

mark skinner

I got bored and built a cajon box drum. I've been intrigued  by their sound , but have only heard cheezy performances with them. With the exception of piano rolled kettle drum and cymbals all percussive drums were done on the cajon . (with and without the snares engaged). I figured it would be a strange mix with a cello , so this was done as an experiment.  I'm getting tired of programming drums and using loops ..  I think this drum will be useful in the future somewhere..  All comments and suggestions will be great. 

mark     

• Like 4

This works for me big time. In your description you forgot to mention how awesome the guitar work is, how well the guitar noodles are mixed, the spectacularly well thought-out headphone-friendly ear candy, and the intelligence of the arrangement.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:34 PM, mark skinner said:

I'm getting tired of programming drums and using loops

ya don't have to program ever again.live play 1 track snare 2 track kick etc.i always do this and never a second wasted on sequencing.outstanding song.jack c.

• Like 1

Hey Mark, wow, might have to make up some new words to describe this piece like brillianceness and interestivity, not to mention the sublimality of all the parts, flowing together so nicely ! Always like your cello playing, and how you've layered it here. Had to look up "cajon box drum", not heard of it . . . but, what you've recorded of it here is very musical, natural feel friendly, and seems to allow a very intricate drum feel that might be harder to capture with standard kit loops and samples, most interesting concept. Great stuff and inspiratorial, as always.

• Like 1

Thank You to "everyone" I'm having a hard time absorbing the great comments on this one Without hearing the suggestions on how to fix it.  @Johnbee58 I didn't know anything about a cajon in the Santana era. The first time I saw one was watching a guy play one in a Caribbean band in Cancun. He actually had big metal tines on the side of it and played bass at the same time ! and it sounded Fantastic. 

On 5/12/2021 at 9:50 AM, emeraldsoul said:

spectacularly well thought-out

@emeraldsoul I can honestly say "Nothing" is thought out. I record as I write , and Never know where it's going . I couldn't play it again if I had to . @noynekker All I can say is "Thank You" for your appreciated comment. This has to be the greatest and most helpful recording forum on this planet .     mark

On 5/10/2021 at 3:34 PM, mark skinner said:

I got bored and built a cajon box drum

Judging by the results, you should get "bored" more often 😉

Love the groove, great piece!

t

how long have you been playing the cello?
I think I know the answer, hardly long enough to play this well.
as always a fan
"all groupies must bow down" and I do so quite humbly...

Thanks Tom. I never feel like I'm done with one until You've weighed in on it. I enjoyed playing the drum and learned some things about recording it that I'll change next time. As far as the cello , I've had it probably 3 or 4 years. The only time I play it is when I'm recording a song. I still can't hold it like a real cello player and have to look at the markers I've painted on the side of the neck , but it is an instrument I can truly "feel" while playing it. I tried my best on a violin for about a year before giving up. Maybe a viola someday ..   mark

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

a bit of an ethno jazz vibe to it.

Thank You Douglas. I'm a big jazz fan and it's about All I listen to in my car. I've always liked the way jazz drummers do circles around the main beat , so this comment really hit home for me .      Thanks  ..     mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark

I really loved this - just playing it for the third time!

the Cajon is an interesting instrument - i had a jam a few years ago with some guys and they used a Cajon (remember the days when we could all play music together!!)  - ever since then i have been meaning to get one to play around with but never quite got around to it.

And I loved your comments re the Violin - I tried my best on a violin for about a year before giving up

I did the same, and wow was it frustrating - then i resolved the issue of not being able to play it properly - one day as i was rewiring one of my old, heavy Synthes and i accidentally knocked it from its stand - fell right on top of the violin and smashed it to smithereens! Problem solved!!

Great stuff

Nigel

• Like 1

@bjornpdx I Appreciate the comment about the extras in the background. I did a remix to bring them forward some   but lost something in the process ,  so I deleted and didn't use it. I also love a mournful sound of a low cello. Maybe I'll find a better one some day. @Bajan Blue Great violin story. I traded mine for something ..  Also gave up on bagpipes but they look cool on the wall. I've been wondering if I could extract midi from a cello audio track , pitch it up and send it to a violin virtual instrument ??  Thanks  ..   mark

• 3 weeks later...