A Little Rain - New Mix

Kevin Walsh

Here's a new one, it's getting close, but it's still a work in progress. I think the ending will be reworked pretty heavily. Still, it's at a point where some critical feedback will help me put this on to bed. Thanks for listening and critiquing!

Update: Added a new mix and a bit of a re-worked ending. Thanks!

Update 2: Posted a  new mix that addresses vocal clarity, thank you, Kurt!

Update 3: A new mix was added today

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 3

Very cool song, it sounds like you put a lot of work in it. Lot's of sounds going on. Listening on my headphones the only small suggestion is the vocal could uses a little air, l mean clarity.  Might sound different on other systems.  Good work on this one.

Thank you Kurt! I'd love to hear your suggestions on how to achieve clarity. I've been pulling my hair out trying to do that without making things sound like frying bacon. 😬

Nevermind, I found an errant EQ on a bus somewhere just crushing everything from 4k on up. I posted a new version that I think sounds at least much more clear if not better. :)

Edited by Kevin Walsh

Coolness of the song's vibe? 10/10

The vocal ideas and treatment are so interesting to listen to. Kind of washes over you, really great.

The drums have a great live sound as well.

There are spots, just a couple,  where the lyric intelligibility gets a tad mushy but then it's a tone poem that still works great.

For a mix idea, bass guitar up? and the acoustic guitar might be a little pokey (or under-reverbed?) in the upper end of the eq spectrum.

If it were mine, the ending would be a fade out of that last section you have with the "power chord" guitar, as opposed to the fading sustain of that keyboard stab. If that makes any sense.

very enjoyable listen!

cheers,

-Tom

12 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I thought it was a cool song and I liked the mix - well done there.  I liked your vocals as well. The guitar work was quite good in this one.

Thank you for  your kind comments, especially on the guitar work which I do struggle with. 

10 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Coolness of the song's vibe? 10/10

The vocal ideas and treatment are so interesting to listen to. Kind of washes over you, really great.

The drums have a great live sound as well.

There are spots, just a couple,  where the lyric intelligibility gets a tad mushy but then it's a tone poem that still works great.

For a mix idea, bass guitar up? and the acoustic guitar might be a little pokey (or under-reverbed?) in the upper end of the eq spectrum.

If it were mine, the ending would be a fade out of that last section you have with the "power chord" guitar, as opposed to the fading sustain of that keyboard stab. If that makes any sense.

very enjoyable listen!

cheers,

-Tom

Tom, as always your feedback is most welcome! As for the end, yeah, I don't think I'm quite done with this one yet, but I think it's  finally getting to be in the ballpark of where I wanted it to go.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Kevin!  I just listened to this twice, and I'm ready to jump back in.  To me, the arrangement is the star on this tune, which makes it sound very fresh.  Your vocal work has what I look for- texture and feel.  Take a bow!

Wow, thanks for the confidence boost, Lynn! I am grateful for your time and  your ear!

9 hours ago, noynekker said:

Such a great listen !  It's very well produced and recorded . . . got that unpredictability factor. That vocal effect panned right is especially interesting, lot of solid instrument accompaniments throughout.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for listening and posting your thoughts.

the opening drum beat and I'm thinking 50's girl band

then it goes into this euro dance thing

then into a whole different direction

I don't really do "sounds like", but you know who you sounds

nice mix, great guitar

like the arp on the key

good job kevin