Pasting in sync without a click track

Heb Gnawd

Hi

This is a simple rudimentary question, I'm surprised I couldn't find the answer in the manual.  I thought there was a  keystroke to drag a selection from one track to another without any movement on the timeline but I cant find it.   Am I confusing this with another program? , if so any suggestions?   I am trying to splice together pieces from different takes all synced to human tempo. 

Appreciate any help  or suggestions

Thanks

Yes, just slip edit the audio clip start to any nearby snap point (don't stretch it, of course!). I'd always use a beat or measure boundary, but it can be anything that you've got included in snap enable. It's just that measure or beat lines are easily visible so you can  get visual re-assurance that everything is lined up.

Great thanks!

NB

Measures and beats don't line up without a click track.  I am afraid I was never able to  get the Melodyne Studio "drag to click-track"  function to work with any of the offered algorithms ( default, automatic, universal, percussive, polyphonic etc.)   not only does it not interpret the meter and tempo correctly but it also modifies the audio ??? which is perplexing since that is exactly the opposite of how I would expect it to work.  and I'm too lazy to manually adjust all the transients.

• Like 1

I have a lot of older live band recordings I'll mess around with when I have time. And always dreamed of a tempo match up so I can edit and add midi parts. 

It's funny how the Melodyne trick either works or it creates a mess. I did find it seems to work if you have a hi hat track. It must like that frequency and the patterns. But this is only with a standard boring rock and roll pattern. It certainly makes a mess of anything different like 6/8 time or blues shuffles. 

I even tried to create a midi click track playing along with the song as close to time as I could and use that... nope always screws the audio up. 

The audio snap method might be the only solid solution but the time involved is not worth it for this sort of material. So I just add the midi parts like any real musician would and try to actually play in the pocket. And the the shift key was a new one for me so thanks @Kevin Perry for that. I used to just zoom way in.

1 minute ago, John Vere said:

It's funny how the Melodyne trick either works or it creates a mess. I did find it seems to work if you have a hi hat track. It must like that frequency and the patterns. But this is only with a standard boring rock and roll pattern. It certainly makes a mess of anything different like 6/8 time or blues shuffles. 

Try experimenting with different Melodyne algorithms.

It may help to apply an extreme EQ to filter the track before processing with Melodyne.

That's a good idea. One trick that I also tried and it worked was use drum replacer. That will filter out all the mike bleed because now you can use a midi VST  instrument for the source. Freeze the synth and then use that. Problem is all of this is time consuming so you really need to want that song to make that sort of time commitment. 

I think I 've run through the whole list of algorithms with various polyphonic and monophonic audio tracks. I've also done what John Vere tried, making an audio clap track that follows the beat and dragging it up,  and midi track ( I  used the percussive tapping of the Ample upright) converted to audio and dragged up.  Also as John Vere states, I abandoned any hope , both in Cakewalk and in Melodyn of AI understanding of 6 /8 ( unless you speed the tempo and lengthen the bars to include 4 triplets) I got it to play 6/8 @ 60bpm as 12/ 4  @ 120bpm , but the real beat is an off beat of the metronome.  At any rate I cant get this to work in 4/4 either.

Turn on the metronome and hand draw the tempos to make Cakewalk’s metronome stay right with your track. It’s the most reliable and accurate way to do it.  With practice, you’ll get really good at it!

I’ve done it this way for years and haven't met a track I couldn’t sync.