How do I make this live band mix?

This is guitar, piano, bass, drums, and a vocal.  I think it's a live recording?  The drums are SM Drums, sampled drums.  How do I make a mix using plugin instruments to sound like it's in a live room like this?  The bass is very wide and not just in the center of the mix.  Also, just panning the guitar to the left and adding reverb to the instruments will not create this room sound.   Is it possible?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8sahgYlFzKreDd1cXgtU1kta00/view

• 2 weeks later...

It is tricky to get that sound when doing everything in the box.

@Will_Kaydo is correct in having to understand "depth"... basically what is happening with a live recording is you're getting the room reverb, but also a slightly different signal going to each mic. In other words, each instrument (and the reverb) is being delayed slightly differently for the left & right mics. The delay is very small though.  And of course all the instruments are all interacting with each other.

A good reverb plugin should get you most of the way there (assuming everything is going to the same reverb), but you could also experiment with delaying left & right signals of each instrument... just watch out for phase cancellation issues.

Failing that you could cheat.... decades ago, I used get a "live" drum sound from a drum machine by  playing it through a PA in a hall, and sticking mic's at the back of the hall!

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Failing that you could cheat.... decades ago, I used get a "live" drum sound from a drum machine by  playing it through a PA in a hall, and sticking mic's at the back of the hall!

speaking of "drum machines" - they once stuck John Bonham out in the hall, he was banging on his kit while waiting to get pulled back into the main room, and the sound was so good, they left him there and then recorded "When The Levee Breaks"... 'nuff said about hallway reverb...

• 2 weeks later...