Comprehensive Keyboard Shortcuts List

Bill Phillips

I would really appreciate a complete, comprehensive keyboard shortcuts list. I spend lots of time searching for them mostly after I accidentally use one and realized something changed but I'm not sure what. Examples from today apply mostly to the Track View and Console View which is where I spend most of my time. The Track View Keyboard Shortcut list in the PDF Documentation seems woefully lacking and inadequate.

Examples from today: [Not found in PDF documentation and searching for keyboard shortcuts in online documentation seldom produces useful results. Most are listed in the Customization Keyboard Shortcuts list but there's no view reference which is confusing to me]

CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT ARROW - Move between tabs in MultiDock if there are multiple tabs.

SHIFT+RIGHT/LEFT ARROW - Moves between Track Pane display options.

CTRL+TAB - Disappears the Now Time Marker and not much else. [Unassigned in Customization Keyboard Shortcuts]

Edited by Bill Phillips
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just go to key bindings and you can see all of what is baked in & all of the ones you assigned together. You can also make your own list from that take a snip and put it on your desktop background.

Pretty handy if you use two monitors.

11 hours ago, rfssongs said:

Just go to key bindings and you can see all of what is baked in & all of the ones you assigned together. You can also make your own list from that take a snip and put it on your desktop background.

This doesn't give an efficient, quickly usable overview like "Keyboard shortcuts" in the manual. It needs a lot of clicking and scrolling , so at least for me it is completely useless. I've got all key bindings from the manual printed out (after changing the format in Excel, so I can have more info on a single printed page) and that works well, I can quickly check anything and highlight the bindings most important to me. I write new bindings on it as well, but it starts becoming a huge mess, Too much new information with new updates over time. I'd love to see a regularly updated version.

Also, I would like to see next to an updated list with full overview per item that I can print out (or use on the PC) an additional column showing tips next to the shortcut name/description column that shows the most used action(s) (just like the help module when you hover over something, but permanently visible in the shortcut list) 

Maybe a button could be added to the main interface, e.g. left of the double full screen arrow that opens a condensed full shortcut list, including tips.

IMHO, shortcuts are essential for a DAW's workflow, so anything that can provide clearer and faster information would be more than welcome.

Edited by Teegarden

4 hours ago, Teegarden said:

IMHO, shortcuts are essential for a DAW's workflow, so anything that can provide clearer and faster information would be more than welcome.

We all have different preferences, so I am not trying to say lists are better or worse than any other method for all people. Personally I have an easier time using the tool in [P]references for finding specific key bindings than I do looking through huge lists for something specific.

That being said, it seems to me that it might be handy if there were a way to export a list (or spreadsheet) of all bindings (alphabetically by key with key modifiers listed under the key, topically by function, topically by view, etc.) in the currently selected Workspace as well as an option to export factory defined defaults.   

4 hours ago, Teegarden said:
16 hours ago, rfssongs said:

This doesn't give an efficient, quickly usable overview like "Keyboard shortcuts" in the manual.

We each have our own personal efficiencies.  I accept that some people find lists efficient. (I make lists all the time!) For me (and possibly others), the  keyboard shortcuts tool takes less time than looking for the pdf, opening up the manual, searching either by using Ctrl+F or by reading, etc.

Edited by User 905133
to underline a section of my first sentence in an effort to forestall possible misunderstanding

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, Bill Phillips said:

CTRL+TAB - Disappears the Now Time Marker and not much else. [Unassigned in Customization Keyboard Shortcuts]

In, Windows, CTRL + TAB usually switches focus between an applications internal window panes (as opposed to ALT+TAB, that switches between applications).

And in Cakewalk it does so too: open up a few plugins and, say a floating Browser pane, and try it out. It's an essential shortcut for multi monitor work. 😃

That said, I believe there's a glitch if you have an open floating Browser: you can switch focus to it with CTRL+TAB, but you can never switch focus back to the main Cakewalk window again. I think this is a bug/a usability oversight.

Edited by GreenLight
Clarified last paragraph
  • Thanks 1