(Yet another) Update to Mackie Control surface

msmcleod

Apologies for another update so soon, but I managed to fix some issues that were bugging me for some time:

• All faders now reset to zero on closing a project, or closing Cakewalk
  • It now shows "No Cakewalk Project Loaded" rather than "No SONAR Project Loaded"
  • For the Korg Nano KONTROL 2 (which I use in my vocal booth): Cycle + Rewind = Go to Start;  Cycle + Record = Undo

You can get the installer here: http://msmcleod.co.uk/cakewalk/MMcLMackieControlSetup.zip

Full list of changes here: http://msmcleod.co.uk/cakewalk/MackieControl-MMcL.pdf

NOTE: No need to uninstall if you've installed it already - just run the new installer, and it'll replace the old one.

• Thanks 2

Question,

Should we save the Mackie ini file in case somethimg happens and we need to revert back.

Last time, I modified my MackieControl.ini  with the one from Azlow it worked great at allowing me to see the default plugins in the Pro Channel, however, every time I touched a button on my MCU it made a beeping sound.  I removed the MackieControl.ini and replaced it with the original one and it put me back to where I started from.

39 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Question,

Should we save the Mackie ini file in case somethimg happens and we need to revert back.

Last time, I modified my MackieControl.ini  with the one from Azlow it worked great at allowing me to see the default plugins in the Pro Channel, however, every time I touched a button on my MCU it made a beeping sound.  I removed the MackieControl.ini and replaced it with the original one and it put me back to where I started from.

It's always prudent to make backups. I'm not sure what would cause a beeping sound though. There were some bugs that were later fixed when dealing with the track compressor - maybe that was the issue?

I always make a backup of my MackieControl.ini, simply because it took so long to arrange all my EQ & Dynamics plugins into some consistent layout.

It's worth mentioning though, that neither Cakewalk's, Azslow's or my version of the MackieControl surface dll alters MackieControl.ini in any way - it just reads from it.

22 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It's always prudent to make backups. I'm not sure what would cause a beeping sound though. There were some bugs that were later fixed when dealing with the track compressor - maybe that was the issue?

I always make a backup of my MackieControl.ini, simply because it took so long to arrange all my EQ & Dynamics plugins into some consistent layout.

It's worth mentioning though, that neither Cakewalk's, Azslow's or my version of the MackieControl surface dll alters MackieControl.ini in any way - it just reads from it.

Thanks a lot Mark

Performing the install now,  I'll let you know the outcome.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:51 PM, msmcleod said:
  • All faders now reset to zero on closing a project, or closing Cakewalk 

Mark,

So far everything worked well except for this one little hiccup. 

When I opened a project that I have been working on for sometime and moved all of the faders down several db's and then closed the project without saving, the faders didn't zero out.  All of my faders stayed where I last moved them to on my MCU.  I didn't want to save the project at this point.

I then created a new project and moved the faders to different db levels and saved the project. I then closed the project and then CbB.  The faders still didn't return to  zero.   

Am I doing something wrong?

41 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Mark,

So far everything worked well except for this one little hiccup. 

When I opened a project that I have been working on for sometime and moved all of the faders down several db's and then closed the project without saving, the faders didn't zero out.  All of my faders stayed where I last moved them to on my MCU.  I didn't want to save the project at this point.

I then created a new project and moved the faders to different db levels and saved the project. I then closed the project and then CbB.  The faders still didn't return to  zero.   

Am I doing something wrong?

Did the "No Cakewalk Project Loaded" message come up when you first closed the project?

There's only two circumstances that the faders go back to zero:

1. When Cakewalk goes back to no project loaded; and
2. When the Control Surface DLL itself is closed down.

From what I can see in the code, the only reason it would not return to zero is if Cakewalk though the MCU had actually disconnected (in which case it wouldn't receive the messages anyhow).

There is maybe another reason however... if the project itself didn't actually close, or Cakewalk itself didn't close, due to a plugin not closing down properly.

I experienced this myself the other day with this:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/2947-solved-cakewalk-not-shutting-down-when-using-overloud-th-u/

If you check in Task Manager, is Cakewalk still running as a background task?

[Edit] - One more question: What MIDI mode are you using (i.e. UWP or MME) ?

Edited by msmcleod

17 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Did the "No Cakewalk Project Loaded" message come up when you first closed the project?

There's only two circumstances that the faders go back to zero:

1. When Cakewalk goes back to no project loaded; and
2. When the Control Surface DLL itself is closed down.

From what I can see in the code, the only reason it would not return to zero is if Cakewalk though the MCU had actually disconnected (in which case it wouldn't receive the messages anyhow).

There is maybe another reason however... if the project itself didn't actually close, or Cakewalk itself didn't close, due to a plugin not closing down properly.

I experienced this myself the other day with this:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/2947-solved-cakewalk-not-shutting-down-when-using-overloud-th-u/

If you check in Task Manager, is Cakewalk still running as a background task?

[Edit] - One more question: What MIDI mode are you using (i.e. UWP or MME) ?

Mark,

Aaahhh  it says, "No Sonar Project Loaded"   and there are no plugins loaded on the tracks. 

In Task Manager, Cakewalk is not running in the background.

Driver Mode is the default one of MME

8 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Mark,

Aaahhh  it says, "No Sonar Project Loaded"   and there are no plugins loaded on the tracks. 

In Task Manager, Cakewalk is not running in the background.

Driver Mode is the default one of MME

The "SONAR" in the message would suggest you're using the Cakewalk version of the Mackie Control DLL, or an older version of the MMcL Mackie Control surface.

I changed it the message to say "No Cakewalk Project Loaded" at the same time I did the fader change.

In control surfaces, it should look like "MMcL Mackie Control #1" :

image.png.24b4ef1480b38e308d9a0418454e71f5.png

Edited by msmcleod

8 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The "SONAR" in the message would suggest you're using the Cakewalk version of the Mackie Control DLL, or an older version of the MMcL Mackie Control surface.

I changed it the message to say "No Cakewalk Project Loaded" at the same time I did the fader change.

In control surfaces, it should look like "MMcL Mackie Control #1" :

image.png.24b4ef1480b38e308d9a0418454e71f5.png

Mark you are the MAN!!!!!!

Maybe I should have read the instruction further, but I was sooo excited to get this working.   LOL 😁😁 😁