Korg Nano Kontrol 2 Control Surface

13 minutes ago, PulseStar said:

Hi Everyone........I am a very long time user of Cakewalk/Sonar but have only just started trying to use the NanoKontrol2 to control various VST's.  I have no trouble with using it with CbB but as soon as I go into CC mode I start to pull what's left of my hair out.  I have been using the Act controller and can assign all Rotary's and faders (8 of each)  in Learn mode but the trouble starts when I try to use Act Learn to assign Vst functions to Nano Sliders and Rotaries.  Sometimes it works and other times it dosen't.  I've even had one fader controlling 5 parameters even though they have different CC numbers. Anyone got any infomation that might help?

http://msmcleod.co.uk/cakewalk/C4Mapper.zip        Is this the answer?          Thanks for any help.

Cakewalk doesn't easily support swapping between Mackie and ACT mode on the same device. Not only do you need to change the nanoKONTROL 2 into CC mode, you also have to remove the Mackie Control surface in Preferences->Control Surfaces, then replace it with an ACT one.

C4Mapper will partially help, as it will allow you to order the VST parameters. However, by default the Mackie uses the rotary pots for VST parameters, while leaving the faders controlling the track volume. The Mackie does have a "flip" mode that allows you to use the faders instead, but there's no button on the nanoKONTROL 2 to enter this mode.

I've recently got a Presonus Faderport 16, which has similar issues as there's only one VPot which acts on the currently selected channel.

I'll have a think about how best to address this. If you're using the synth edit shortcuts below, it already forces it into "edit" mode. An option to force flip mode might be the answer for those who want to use the faders rather than the rotaries. Although you won't be able to use both rotaries and faders, you can easily switch to each bank of 8 parameters.

image.thumb.png.ab97033826c8a41358688126ce88742e.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I will chime here after doing a search for my problem, as I see the author of the MMcl controller protocol is around. Hope I can get some directions to make a Samson Graphite 49 work on CbB , either using the Mackie Control ( Graphite supports it) , CbB native ACT , Mackie Control-MMcL or AZ Controller. 

I have been struggling with this for a couple of days with no luck, I thought it was second nature, because this worked on Logic, Ableton Demo, Studio One and Digital Performer very easy in the studio where we use DP as the main DAW. I went CbB for my home use, and it worked well with an Alesis Q49 but I bought Graphite to replace it, it has mapping presets for nearly every DAW , but cant make Cakewalk   work with it, have tried all other presets, same result. Worth noting the controller uses channel 1 for MIDI activity and channel 5 for remote functions, this  remote is not seen by CbB, I have tried different configs with no luck.

Thank you very much for any advice. 

• 4 months later...

Hi there, i have also Nano Kontrol 2 in CC-Mode.

Is there any step-by-step guide or video tutorial. I can't follow where is to setup what. I have "MMcLMackieControlSetup.zip" installed.

On VST Plugins MIDI-Learn CC with faders, etc, works with NK2, but how to assign transport Button, Play, Record,  Stop, Marker Left, Right, etc. to my Nano Kontrol 2 CC ?

2020-06-22_nano35j7g.gif

2020-06-22_12h24_36.png

I have found a Guide that is very good - thanks for this:
https://www.mslinn.com/sites/mike/studio/instruments/Korg/nano/nanoKontrol/instructions.html

Now i have only Problems in "KONTAKT"  -  on an Instrument Library perhaps there are default mappings to CC 21, CC 22 and CC 23, it doesn't work with my CC 21 etc.

In the Spitfire Engine for example every default CC mapping works promptly with Nano Kontrol 2.

Do you have to "Learn" every "KONTAKT"-Library or is there a general Setting for this? 

On 6/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, Roland-Music said:

Hi there, i have also Nano Kontrol 2 in CC-Mode.

Is there any step-by-step guide or video tutorial. I can't follow where is to setup what. I have "MMcLMackieControlSetup.zip" installed.

On VST Plugins MIDI-Learn CC with faders, etc, works with NK2, but how to assign transport Button, Play, Record,  Stop, Marker Left, Right, etc. to my Nano Kontrol 2 CC ?

2020-06-22_nano35j7g.gif

Mackie produced 3 control surface products as part of the MCU range:
- The Mackie Control Universal [MCU] ( MackieControl )
- The Mackie Extender ( Mackie Control XT )
- The Mackie C4 ( Mackie Control C4 )

image.png.31ae45373314b497edcddf2dc6125c02.png

The nanoKONTROL is designed to emulate the MCU - it won't work as a C4 as the C4 is a completely different device.

Also, you shouldn't need to use the MMcL version of the Mackie Control any more (unless you want to run several independent Mackie Controllers*) - all my changes are now in the official Cakewalk version.

*By independent I mean controllers that are not running as an integrated group - the ones in the picture above are NOT running independently, but as a group.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I recently purchased a nanoKontrol2 for use with Cakewalk. When set up as described for SONAR it does work out-of-the-box to control transport and mixer console faders. Note: Every time you reboot your PC you must reconnect the nano as if it were for the first time (holding buttons when connecting USB). However, I did not purchase the unit to control the mixer console. I wanted to program it to send selected MIDI CC's with the faders. That has not been possible. Although the unit is clearly connected and controlling transport and console faders the supplied Editor software indicates that the unit is not connected when the app is launched and therefore cannot be used to program the unit. I requested tech support from Korg a week ago and haven't heard back since. I'm returning the unit to the retailer. That is unfortunate since I spent several hours fabricating a nice bracket to mount the nano over my main MIDI keyboard controller (a Native Instruments Kontrol S49, which doesn't have any faders).

I haven't gotten past the transport 'n' faders stage with my nanoKONTROL2, but I can tell you that mine doesn't require any sort of button dance when rebooting my computer or starting the unit. They probably have a battery inside that keeps the settings saved, so maybe the battery is bad.

Pity they never called.

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I haven't gotten past the transport 'n' faders stage with my nanoKONTROL2, but I can tell you that mine doesn't require any sort of button dance when rebooting my computer or starting the unit. They probably have a battery inside that keeps the settings saved, so maybe the battery is bad.

Pity they never called.

The settings are sored in flash memory in the nanoKONTROL 2, and no, they don't need any button dance when starting up.

Once you've configured it, it should just work from then on.

@Dav Mar - up until recently, the Korg USB MIDI driver was not compatible with Window 10 2004 / 20H2, which meant the editor wouldn't work properly (you'd make edits, but they wouldn't be saved to the device). I believe they've now got updated drivers on the Korg website.

Personally, I've removed the drivers from my Windows 10 boot and just use the nanoKONTROL 2 as a class compliant MIDI device. This works fine, but you can't use the editor.  I've got a Windows 7 boot that has the old drivers & editor on it if I ever need it though.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Hi, sorry to revive old thread but I just got the nanokontrol2 and got everything to work except...

1. The track move left and right buttons...they don't move tracks but they move the range of 1-8 tracks that nanokontrol controls..so moving right moves it to tracks 9-16..

2. Still can't get the cycle and setting marker combination working...

I've tried with downloading the mmcl and using latest cakewalk's mackie but still can't get it to work...any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I had the problem, too - even with the most current KORG USB MIDI driver. It got to a point where I had to go back to a Windows recovery point to get

any MIDI devices working again. I only wanted to get my nanoKONTROL2 installed and this couldn't be so crazy complicated, I thought.

KORG extended their uninstall utility to show more than 10 MIDI devices but Cakewalk doesn't find the nanoKONTROL2 on device #14.

I'm not daring to install the KORG driver again and I will follow Mark's advice and use the Windwos driver , but for those of you who fell in the trap

here is another expanation video which could help:

Best regards and good luck

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, michheld said:

I had the problem, too - even with the most current KORG USB MIDI driver. It got to a point where I had to go back to a Windows recovery point to get

any MIDI devices working again. I only wanted to get my nanoKONTROL2 installed and this couldn't be so crazy complicated, I thought.

KORG extended their uninstall utility to show more than 10 MIDI devices but Cakewalk doesn't find the nanoKONTROL2 on device #14.

I'm not daring to install the KORG driver again and I will follow Mark's advice and use the Windwos driver , but for those of you who fell in the trap

here is another expanation video which could help:

Best regards and good luck

Great video! It all makes sense now! :)