Cakewalk Stays In Memory After Exit / Cannot Re-Launch

11 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Is your interface still switched on?

If so it might well be preventing the Cakewalk app to close properly

yes it is, but this has happened with numerous different setups over the years with different interfaces.

It will also (initially) fail to open after the splash screen if ANY other program is using ANY other sound device. This and the OP's issue have been a constant feature set shared by NO other DAW or program. 🥴

"Exclusive control" is deactivated.

This and the OP are my most requested fixes before any other feature or bug fix.

(Edited)

Edited by sjoens

For me, in these 2 cases, the Task Manager trick never works. Usually requires shutting  it all down with a system reboot.

Sometimes the (initial) Fail to Open scenario can be fixed by closing the offending program which releases the audio. 

(Edited)

Edited by sjoens

22 minutes ago, sjoens said:

For me, in these 2 cases, the Task Manager trick never works. Usually requires shutting  it all down with a system reboot.

Sometimes the Fail to Open scenario can be fixed by closing the offending program which releases the audio. 

That actually looks like interface driver conflict as opposed to what seems happening in my case or the topic starter.

In my case Cakewalk Application stays in Background Processes occupying around 685MB of memory. @ADUS do you use any particular plugins/soft synths when this is happening?

Sometimes my cakewalk freezes etc. and after I close it down the midi activity icon in the bottom right corner of the task bar (the one with usb discount icon) is still live.  Open and shut down cakewalk fixes that problem.  Work around that works.

I've been having frequent hangs on exit also for last month or so.  Don't run anything 32bit that I'm aware of.  Often Taskmgr won't close it.  Sometimes command line taskkill will stop it but it's stubborn, often taking a while or multiple repeats of taskkill.  Sometimes requires reboot.  I just submitted problem report and link to dump of recent hang according to the FAQ dump procedure using procdump64.

• 2 months later...

I've reported my issue along with the dump files already months ago but they (support staff) are always kindly asking me to update Cakewalk to the latest version, as if it makes any difference. The problem is, on my production machine I'm not updating Cakewalk every time new release is published, I just can't afford breaking compatibility with ongoing projects, so I'm constantly lagging a version or two behind the most recent release. So I'm stuck in a kind of loophole with it, bumming.

Edited by chris.r

I sometimes get critical hangs on my Cakewalk which results in me binning the program, but it stays resident in Task Manager preventing a restart of the App.

This is only remedies with a reboot. 

It used to happen with Sonar 8 as well

HARDDRIVE

On 7/16/2021 at 10:36 AM, chris.r said:

I've reported my issue along with the dump files already months ago but they (support staff) are always kindly asking me to update Cakewalk to the latest version, as if it makes any difference. The problem is, on my production machine I'm not updating Cakewalk every time new release is published, I just can't afford breaking compatibility with ongoing projects, so I'm constantly lagging a version or two behind the most recent release. So I'm stuck in a kind of loophole with it, bumming.

How is updating going to break compatibility with ongoing projects?

While in Task Manager, locate Windows Explorer and select it as if you were going to end task, except it gives you a “restart” button that will correct most issues that pertain to hung programs or misbehaving drivers and a great way to regain control over a fussy GPU.  

Your icons and windows will disappear for a second and you will only see your desktop background but once Explorer re-executes, it all comes back.  Its a great option if you do not want to sign out of your account or restart the OS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1