Connecting midi keyboard using Asio4All?

Sermarq

Question

I have a WK-3000 Casio keyboard with midi in/midi out and I bought a midi to usb cable. I connected it to my computer and it shows up as “Usb A”. I don’t have an audio interface so I use Asio4All but I’ve never gotten it to produce sound. I use a different audio driver to make stuff. How do I get Asio4All to produce sound, connect my keyboard to cakewalk, connect my keyboard to Asio4All. 

6 answers to this question

ASIO4All has nothing to do with MIDI. ASIO has nothing to do with MIDI.

ASIO4All was developed as a way for a user to connect Windows Audio to software that required an ASIO driver.

ASIO4All is not a driver, it is a wrapper for Windows WDM drivers.

The reason ASIO is preferred is a well written ASIO driver provides the audio interface optimized communication with the DAW. This is not the same as using ASIO4All because ASIO4All is just a middleman making WDM drivers look like an ASIO driver to the DAW.

In addition to ASIO, CbB natively supports all the Windows audio driver modes. WASAPI modes are the best choice for Win10 systems when using the PC audio chip. Older OSes should use WDM. MME is the most compatible but the poorest performing, hence, it is the last choice.

WRT using a MIDI keyboard controller with CbB, maybe this thread will give you a few ideas

There are several beginners videos about how to use MIDI, see the tutorials section of this forum for links to them.

• Like 3

+1 to all Scook has said. If your keyboard only has midi ports and doesn’t have USB you have these options: 

That cable is useless because it probably doesn’t have a midi driver 

1. best choice purchase an audio interface with midi ports. This will also solve other problems that you will have with audio going forward 

2. purchase a keyboard with USB midi connection. It will have a midi driver. 
3. purchase a midi interface that comes with a driver. This will be money you could have put towards an audio interface. 

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

That cable is useless because it probably doesn’t have a midi driver

The mystery cable might be suboptimal, it might even be useless, and it likely does not have an up to date device specific MIDI driver available. But without knowing a bit more, it is probably just an expression of gear prejudice to imply that no device using class compliant drivers or drivers loaded from device firmware cannot work. The problem with buying your way out of a problem that is so poorly described (and hence poorly understood) is that the same problem may persist with more expensive hardware as well. Understanding why the device is not doing what you expect, can go a long way to avoiding wasted money if not wasted effort.

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Ya actually re reading the OP I think they were expecting the audio to be transmitted via the $10 USB to midi cable. Should I tell them that they need the $20 cable to make that work or is that mean :) 

No, don't do that.  It would be mean for sure.

• Like 1