[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.04 Update 1 Release Candidate [Updated to build 170]

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

1) After closing the project and getting ready to make the page of other projects available to open the application, it is like "Not responding". I need to end the Cakewalk task via the Task Manager...

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Is happening to me as well since Cakewalk versions dating months back so it's nothing new with this release at least for my case.

I'm not on 170 but I'm seeing this with 2021.04 official release (and before I think).  Submitted support request 526162, link to hang dump, and other info on 5/11/21.  Got email from Freed and replied to his email, but have heard nothing more.  

Edited by craigr68

I set ExceptionHandlingSeverity=7 and did a complete VST rescan.
Might not be related but I had this error popping up a couple of times.

image.png.bb0ae3f2ab2301922710d95c80da2815.png

Each time it pops up the scanning stops until I click OK, then the scanning resumes.

Got the TTSLogger popup at least 3 times (might have been a 4th time that I missed capturing the info for) for the following:

• Steinberg\VST Classics 1\Model-E.dll
  • Versilian Studios Bass Recorder (inst)  BassRec_32B.dll
  • Wavesfactory's Spectre.vst3

All of these appear to have scanned successfully.  They are listed in the VstScan.log and load in Cakewalk.

Don't know if it's a factor but I've got a crap load of plugins

Edited by TheSteven

RE: Build 170 and Exception Handling issues:  Recently (one of the previous 2 or 3 builds) I had an error message that I am pretty sure was caused by my trying to insert a piece of "gear" that's part of an IK Multimedia plug-in (T-Racks) that I didn't "own" (one of the Tape FX).  T-Racks "gear" that is owned/licensed on my PC works fine.  I know that in the past (maybe around November/December), software I hadn't yet purchased/licensed and which uses the PC-based iLok manager did not cause an issue in Cakewalk.  Cakewalk gave me iLok's activation dialog and didn't crash.

(1) Is this the kind of think the exception handling severity setting can help with?  (2) Do you want to know which option-to activate/purchase/license dialogs work and which ones don't work?  If so, what setting should I use?

UPDATE: So, I replicated the  crash with a non-owned TR5 module (Tape Machine 24) eight or nine times and sent the last dump following the instructions in the Crash Detected! dialog.  I thought it was interesting that Severity Levels 1 and 5 produced no dialogs while Levels 3 and 7 did.

I hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133
Update added

7 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

2) There is still a slow loading of projects that contain vst Ozone 9 Elements. I have Ozone included in 6 Stereo BUS with 6 Presets in each one. Sometimes, opening a project takes 1 to almost 2 minutes.

It was suggested on another thread that this might be due to Ozone's copy-protection.  Are you using machine authentication rather than iLok, and don't have any iLok authenticated products on youe system?  If so, then I think this *might* be the issue - I get the same with Melodyne.  See below for details and way to check it.

31 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

It was suggested on another thread that this might be due to Ozone's copy-protection.  Are you using machine authentication rather than iLok, and don't have any iLok authenticated products on youe system?  If so, then I think this *might* be the issue - I get the same with Melodyne.  See below for details and way to check it.

Something to look into..
Check if you're using OneDrive and if so if your documents folder is backed up by OneDrive.
If this is the case make sure that you right click on the Celemony folder and set to 'Always keep on this device' otherwise Melodyne's cache has to get redownloaded everytime you load a project using it.
1486337334_OneDrivevsCelemony.thumb.jpg.70ed45800766c7827f3d2ff799f8215c.jpg

Since I use OneDrive on across several different system I don't set the whole Documents folder to 'Always keep on this device' (otherwise I would) but I try to make sure that any audio related folders are set in this manner as a lot of plugin keep their presets & other data in the Documents folder.

Edited by TheSteven

19 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I set ExceptionHandlingSeverity=7 and did a complete VST rescan.
Might not be related but I had this error popping up a couple of times.

image.png.bb0ae3f2ab2301922710d95c80da2815.png

Each time it pops up the scanning stops until I click OK, then the scanning resumes.

Got the TTSLogger popup at least 3 times (might have been a 4th time that I missed capturing the info for) for the following:

• Steinberg\VST Classics 1\Model-E.dll
  • Versilian Studios Bass Recorder (inst)  BassRec_32B.dll
  • Wavesfactory's Spectre.vst3

All of these appear to have scanned successfully.  They are listed in the VstScan.log and load in Cakewalk.

Don't know if it's a factor but I've got a crap load of plugins

Have you got the log file open in a text editor? This will prevent the log being written and is one possible cause of that error.

Scanning doesn't use these settings currently. We could but it may flag many more plugins than it does today.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If you reference the case number here I can look it up.

Hi Noel!

I found my acknowledgement of receipt reply with a reference number of

Is this what you refer to?

Thanks for being patient with me.

16 hours ago, User 905133 said:

RE: Build 170 and Exception Handling issues:  Recently (one of the previous 2 or 3 builds) I had an error message that I am pretty sure was caused by my trying to insert a piece of "gear" that's part of an IK Multimedia plug-in (T-Racks) that I didn't "own" (one of the Tape FX).  T-Racks "gear" that is owned/licensed on my PC works fine.  I know that in the past (maybe around November/December), software I hadn't yet purchased/licensed and which uses the PC-based iLok manager did not cause an issue in Cakewalk.  Cakewalk gave me iLok's activation dialog and didn't crash.

(1) Is this the kind of think the exception handling severity setting can help with?  (2) Do you want to know which option-to activate/purchase/license dialogs work and which ones don't work?  If so, what setting should I use?

UPDATE: So, I replicated the  crash with a non-owned TR5 module (Tape Machine 24) eight or nine times and sent the last dump following the instructions in the Crash Detected! dialog.  I thought it was interesting that Severity Levels 1 and 5 produced no dialogs while Levels 3 and 7 did.

I hope this helps.

That makes sense since 3 and 7 are the only levels that check for type access violation.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Have you got the log file open in a text editor? This will prevent the log being written and is one possible cause of that error.

Scanning doesn't use these settings currently. We could but it may flag many more plugins than it does today.

No, the log file was not open during scanning.

Ran a complete scan again - after deleting the log files, resetting the VSTs and rebooting.
Got the same TTSLogger error 3 times with these:
460: c:\audio\vst64\64main\Arturia\Stage-73 V.dll
1433: c:\audio\vst64\64main\Versilian Studios\BassRec_Win\BassRec_32B.dll
2384: c:\program files\common files\vst3\Spectre.vst3

One thing that I noticed is that all of these have 'dupes' that are scanned.
Stage-73 V.dll    /  Stage-73 V.vst3
BassRec_32B.dll / BassRec_64B.dll
Spectre.vst3 / Spectre.dll

On my system I normally prevent having duplicates of this kind by having such counter parts placed in folders not scanned by Cakewalk.
So  Stage-73 V.dll , BassRec_32B.dll  and Spectre.dll (2 of the 3 throwing that error) would not normally have been scanned.
At some point I'll clean this up and do another total rescan to see if the error still happens, and later add the folder not scanned which hold the 32bit plugs with 64 bits version and 64bit plugs that have VST3 version and rescan to see what happens.
But probably not today as a complete rescan of my 2,000+ plugins (without dupes) takes something like 2 plus hours with the current settings.

Note: other than the TTSLogger error the whole scanning process when through smoothly with no other hiccups.

VstScanLogs.zip

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

Something is blocking the mouse pointer from turning into shelf tool if two nodes are close to each, like less than 2 beats apart, and one of the nodes is close to the top.

cw1b68390c5a4bc110b.gif

Double clicking while in shelf mode can make the tempo envelope go funky.

cw27159d8cad9d22b30.gif

This is a mystery to me. I wish someone could shine some light on it. When moving the whole envelope with shelf tool why sometimes is the extra node at the end created and sometimes not? It's very inconsistent in my experience. Either it's a bug or I'm really missing something, wish someone could point me where I can read in detail about it what is going on here. I would expect nothing get created at the end. Perhaps it's a case similar to the 'phantom' node mystery I posted earlier...? Thx

cw3.gif

Edited by chris.r

I think there's also an older bug still present with shelf-tool when editing other envelopes as well:

If you select a region of the envelope on the envelope view itself (by "painting" the selection onto it), the shelf tool works correctly, even on multiple envelopes at the same time.

But, if you select the envelope track and then a region of it by clicking between two markers on the ruler, you can't use the shelf tool on the envelope selection, even though the mouse cursor shows the tool is active. Somehow, the tool just doesn't grab the envelope and no nodes are created. Sometimes it creates the nodes at the ends of the selection, but doesn't start adjusting the newly created section. I think, in this case, only two nodes are created, and not four to make that portion "shelf-toolable".  

I find this a bit frustrating, since the space between markers usually is a verse, chorus or such. You can select the part of the envelope easily and precisely from the ruler, but then the shelf tool is not working on the selection made this way and you have to to select the region by "painting" it on the envelope.

In build 155, if I connected a piece of audio equipment with an audio/midi interface then I get the usual dialog

Capture.PNG.6cef56f8179d5f8ef58be87759a52c0e.PNG

If I clicked 'Yes' then cakewalk crashes

Capture2.PNG.3bdaecb06acd3340c03d625b3b8d533d.PNG

Crash is always related to module RPCRT4.dll, regardless of equipment connected

This seems to be resolved in build 170, I guess due to the less strict error capture? Just providing for info really, as it's an edge case and is suppressed in RC1 - might be of interest as crash seems related to a windows system dll.

Using Windows 10 Pro, build 20H2

_05172021_081805.dmp

This morning I tried to render a video with new audio track in the new build. When the rendering process started I got a high pitched tone  throughout that wouldn't stop (even after the video has rendered) until I closed CbB.

The video itself had only half rendered, the audio was without this high pitched tone.

Any ideas?

1 minute ago, Milton Sica said:

Para o meu caso com o carregamento lento por Ozone 9 Elemenst, por mais incrível que possa parecer, ter Ilok instalado e funcionando, mesmo sem qualquer login, na verdade, feito carregamento é ultra rápido.

Há uma boa pesquisa para entender por que isso acontece dentro de Cakewalk.

Same here with Melodyne - that said, Melodyne behaves the same (slow startup) in Sound Forge, so I don't think it's Cakewalk specific.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chris.r said:

This is a mystery to me. I wish someone could shine some light on it. When moving the whole envelope with shelf tool why sometimes is the extra node at the end created and sometimes not? It's very inconsistent in my experience. Either it's a bug or I'm really missing something, wish someone could point me where I can read in detail about it what is going on here. I would expect nothing get created at the end. Perhaps it's a case similar to the 'phantom' node mystery I posted earlier...? Thx

cw3.gif

Also some of these issues, like the above, are happening in the audio/midi track envelopes as well.

There is also this. If I double click in an empty space in the tempo track, all nodes get highlighted (selected) for a short moment and then unselected right away the moment I'm releasing mouse button (the second click). Wasn't it supposed to select all nodes in a track when double clicking, but now it's broken? If not, then please consider adding it :) (and also 'Select All' and/or 'Select All Nodes' under right menu). Additionally all the normal audio/midi envelopes would also benefit from it, and also the controller lines in PRV🙏 (sorry I had to).

On 5/9/2021 at 10:18 AM, chris.r said:

the tempo track curve has influence on the shape of MIDI envelope when dragging the nodes alone but not when the envelope is moved with the clip, but the MIDI notes stay intact when dragging either way 

That looks like two bugs: First that the envelope should honor the musical timebase either way, but moreover that it should not be possible move Clip Automation independently of the clip. 

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

the envelope should honor the musical timebase either way

Thanks, that would be my understanding too.

it should not be possible move Clip Automation independently of the clip

I'm fine with it when editing clip content including envelopes. But would more expect the clip envelope being connected to the grid when editing some clip content, like just the notes, so it won't change/move while doing edit (ie. clip ends stay with the envelope versus envelope being moved with clip end).

It seems all fine when dragging whole clip.

Edited by chris.r

That looks like two bugs: First that the envelope should honor the musical timebase either way, but moreover that it should not be possible move Clip Automation independently of the clip. 

What about a scenario where you want to copy the clip automation elsewhere?