[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.04 Update 1 Release Candidate [Updated to build 170]

HI:)

Tried out the EA Update 155 and now the AZController windows shows in correct size, before with

EnableWin10DPIAwareness=1

it showed with a very small font, I was unable to read it, needed the Windows magnifying glass.

With

EnablePluginMenuFix=1 

it shows correctly again! 

Additionally on my Studio Monitors (2x4k, 3840x2160 with 150% scaling, 1x4k, 1080x768) the FlyOut Window of the PCEQ shows correctly too, before it showed an empty window!

Thanks for this fix!

Greetz;)

Bassman.

• Like 1

@Glenn Stanton 

If you start Cakewalk up with a custom theme that is out of date, two things should happen:

1. You should get a warning message telling you that your theme is out of date.
2. If you choose to continue with the out-of-date theme, then Cakewalk will look incorrect even if you switch to Mercury afterwards.

IOW, to fully rectify the problem, switch to the Mercury or Tungsten factory themes and then restart CakewalkAfter that, if you wish to continue using a custom theme, you should open it in Theme Editor and resave it before attempting to use it in Cakewalk again.

If you do that and it still looks wrong, then please (a) let me know if you saw the theme warning message, and (b) PM me a copy of your custom theme if you're using one (the screenshot you posted on Saturday shows the Smart Tool button in the Control Bar with a different background color compared to both Mercury & Tungsten, which suggests you are).

We're unable to reproduce the problem, so your assistance would be much appreciated.

6 hours ago, apt said:

It is build 155

Thanks for verifying. Please would you try adding the following option in Preferences -> File -> Initialization File:

EnablePluginMenuFix=1

Then restart Cakewalk and let me know if your plugin menus look any better.

To be clear, that option should be enabled by default, so I'm not expecting it to make any difference, but I want to make sure it's enabled to rule out anything unexpected.

Many thanks!

When "Windows 10 high DPI rendering option" is enabled, the display of plugins of some manufacturers is distorted.
I tried "EnablePluginMenuFix = 0", but it didn't work.
※Ver. 2021.04 build 144&155(JP) | DisplaySize 3840x2160 125%

Checked owned plugins.
- Melda Production: All owned plugins.
- United Plugins: "Royal Compressor"
There may be others, but not all have been checked.

When "Windows 10 high DPI rendering option" is disabled, there is no problem.

Display example.
Bug.gif.f10596e8323cf975a12ec64de2359823.gif

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Toy said:

When "Windows 10 high DPI rendering option" is enabled, the display of plugins of some manufacturers is distorted.
I tried "EnablePluginMenuFix = 0", but it didn't work.
※Ver. 2021.04 build 144&155(JP) | DisplaySize 3840x2160 125%

Checked owned plugins.
- Melda Production: All owned plugins.
- United Plugins: "Royal Compressor"
There may be others, but not all have been checked.

When "Windows 10 high DPI rendering option" is disabled, there is no problem.

Display example.
Bug.gif.f10596e8323cf975a12ec64de2359823.gif

Thanks for the report. I'll investigate.

8 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

Thanks for the report. I'll investigate.

After checking, it seems that the screen is distorted by the plug-in with "GPU acceleration" setting.

Edited by Toy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

Thanks for verifying. Please would you try adding the following option in Preferences -> File -> Initialization File:

EnablePluginMenuFix=1

Then restart Cakewalk and let me know if your plugin menus look any better.

To be clear, that option should be enabled by default, so I'm not expecting it to make any difference, but I want to make sure it's enabled to rule out anything unexpected.

Many thanks!

I've just tried, and there's no difference.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2021 at 4:37 AM, Ben Staton said:

@Glenn Stanton 

If you start Cakewalk up with a custom theme that is out of date, two things should happen:

agreed @Ben Staton - however, the theme is not, nor ever was, the issue. 🙂 

however "FixTheMenu" thingie does work. perhaps we can make that a permanent part of the code as i'm not sure many people want the "TheMenuIsBroken" option 😉 new screen shots in Mercury. as a note, the custom theme is just fine.

before:

Clipboard02.jpg.6534c60eb969f95c0766167809eed6ff.jpg

after:

Clipboard03.jpg.6c1bcfd22bccc1050d0f69cf52e3c041.jpg

UPDATE*** - build 170 does not have this issue, i removed the plugin fix in the INI and restarted. all good again.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

7 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

@Glenn Stanton 

1. You should get a warning message telling you that your theme is out of date.
2. If you choose to continue with the out-of-date theme, then Cakewalk will look incorrect even if you switch to Mercury afterwards.

IOW, to fully rectify the problem, switch to the Mercury or Tungsten factory themes and then restart CakewalkAfter that, if you wish to continue using a custom theme, you should open it in Theme Editor and resave it before attempting to use it in Cakewalk again.

If you do that and it still looks wrong, then please (a) let me know if you saw the theme warning message, and (b) PM me a copy of your custom theme if you're using one (the screenshot you posted on Saturday shows the Smart Tool button in the Control Bar with a different background color compared to both Mercury & Tungsten, which suggests you are).

We're unable to reproduce the problem, so your assistance would be much appreciated.

Yes I just tested this on 155 and I get the warning. Now I need to see If I can remember how to change my theme again. The dumb thing is I'm fine with everything but I just cannot work in a Black PVR.   

Edit _ I'm getting nowhere with this and will start a thread in the regular forum. 

Screenshot (121).png

Edited by John Vere

yeah i saw several of my themes had that warning (flat, minimalistic orange, etc) but when the developers updated them for 2021.04 and they're working fine. but for testing i switch between my normal custom theme and the default mercury theme.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

On 5/9/2021 at 5:18 PM, chris.r said:

by the way please watch how the envelope get burst when I move just the notes, first it will get shifted slightly by one beat when I move notes to the left to 1:02:000 then it falls totally sideways if I attempt to bring the notes back either manually or with ctrl+Z or Edit>Undo menu (as on video)... there are more quirks as well... thx

cakewalk2.gif

just to clarify my self-created confusion :D: I repeated the same above with just the notes without the envelope and can see now how the whole clip gets shifted (both the start and the end of clip) because when I select manually all notes at once with lasso, Cakewalk treats it as if it's the whole clip being selected, and the selection (unexpectedly) starts from beginning, not just where the notes are (can see on video). Then we see what happens next to the clip along with the envelope after the notes are being moved. But, if I would leave just one note out of selection and drag the rest the same way then clip will stay unchanged and thus the envelope as well - and that's the expected result ( - maybe a hint for keeping the clip unchanged because envelope nodes are there still unselected?). Still not getting why the envelope alone is being stretched and why Undo works the way as on video, apart from seeing what I would describe a two-stage undo...

One can clearly see that I'm having not much experience with the envelopes, but I'm long time accustomed to how the clip boundaries behave and have learned my ways around it even taking it to an advantage when (very often) dragging notes between clips and re-arranging them my way. And it doesn't bother me the way it is maybe except that it always require a lot of caution when editing. But I would expect the envelope being connected more to the grid than to unstable clip ends when editing clip's content (even if it's a clip envelope). I can't say if this behavior had been introduced with the recent updates to the envelopes or everyone is long time used to it that way already - if that's the case then please ignore my whole post.

Edited by chris.r

A request for the next official release.

In VST Settings: Make the VST Migration optional.

As long as there are issues with certain venders VST3 instruments, I think it best not to force CbB to use these.  

Having the boxes unchecked by default would be preferable in my opinion.

• Like 2

This isn't going to be terribly helpful, but I figured you'd want to know. Cakewalk build 155 just up-n-vanished on me, leaving the application visible in the Task Manager but otherwise absent.

I was working in the PRV (as I have been a lot this week), select note events and moving them to align them with a previous performance. I click on a note to select it, and instead of selecting it, I get the spinning frisbee of death followed by... vanishing application.

This has happened twice before but in both previous cases, it was the earlier build (release 2021.04). I got a dialog saying that the app had crashed and there was a minidump available. After the second time, I decided I should install the EA build 155 so that if it happened again I could report it with the dump.

Alas - it is not even creating a dump file in 155.

12 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I had to set the ExceptionHandlingSeverity variable to 1 because the process of consistency of vst errors is very slow, even interfering in the opening of projects and also when exporting the mix. I had to set the ExceptionHandlingSeverity variable to 1 because the process of consistency of vst errors is very slow, even interfering in the opening of projects and also when exporting the mix.

@Milton Sica Are you sure about this? There is no cost unless of course an error occurs. Have you tried it with a setting of 5 instead of 1?
5 will at least detect heap corruption. Please check and let me know if you can actually demonstrate a slowdown by timing it or posting a video.
I’ve not noticed any slowdowns with many plugins.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:29 AM, Philip G Hunt said:

A request for the next official release.

In VST Settings: Make the VST Migration optional.

As long as there are issues with certain venders VST3 instruments, I think it best not to force CbB to use these.  

Having the boxes unchecked by default would be preferable in my opinion.

I don’t follow. It is already optional if you uncheck the box…

41 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

This isn't going to be terribly helpful, but I figured you'd want to know. Cakewalk build 155 just up-n-vanished on me, leaving the application visible in the Task Manager but otherwise absent.

I was working in the PRV (as I have been a lot this week), select note events and moving them to align them with a previous performance. I click on a note to select it, and instead of selecting it, I get the spinning frisbee of death followed by... vanishing application.

This has happened twice before but in both previous cases, it was the earlier build (release 2021.04). I got a dialog saying that the app had crashed and there was a minidump available. After the second time, I decided I should install the EA build 155 so that if it happened again I could report it with the dump.

Alas - it is not even creating a dump file in 15

>>5 - Unhandled errors and heap corruption is detected  (Default)

@Colin Nicholls What is your exception handling level set to? In 155 it defaults to 5 if you haven’t set it. You can try setting it back to 7 to catch even  more unhandled exceptions.

28 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

>>5 - Unhandled errors and heap corruption is detected  (Default)

@Colin Nicholls What is your exception handling level set to? In 155 it defaults to 5 if you haven’t set it. You can try setting it back to 7 to catch even  more unhandled exceptions.

I've set it to 7, and I'll see how things go tomorrow. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I don’t follow. It is already optional if you uncheck the box…

Yes, it's an optional OPT-OUT, but is it by any chance set to OPT-IN on the last release BY DEFAULT?

My argument is that it should be optional rather than a forced transition to VST3. 

Not everyone who updates from previous builds may realize what is happening, and, as not everyone is an IT wizard, they might lose days or weeks of work trying to troubleshoot a problem with drop-outs, stuttering audio, or unexpected closure of the software, when all they really want from the software is an out-the-box environment in which they can make music.

I can see from other Cakewalk users that I am not the only one to have experienced this issue, and it has caused projects to grind to a halt as a result. Yes, it can be argued that it is the fault of the VST vendor. Yes, it can be argued that VST3 is the new standard. All this can be argued, but until CbB works nicely with these VST3s (causing an interruption of service which in turn creates bad publicity for Cakewalk by Bandlab) the simplest solution would be to make those boxes OPT-IN, rather than OPT-OUT in each new build. This would have no negative impact on those who already have VST3s happily loaded in their projects, and it will have no negative impact on those who are happily using VST2 instruments.  But by FORCING the VST3 to replace VST2, it most definitely IS causing problems.

I hope this clarifies what I mean.

• Like 1