Change output

Michael Vonau

Question

During the first setup I've chosen my USB-interface als input and output. Now I would like to change the master output to my sound card because it's of better quality. In the cakewalk set up menue the soundcard is listed, but I can't select it as output, because it's faded out. What can I do?

6 answers to this question

Sound Blaster cards have a very badly written ASIO driver and are not recommended.  You're better off to pull that card and use your on board audio. Long history of issues.  It obviously doesn't support WASAPI. But you have a proper interface you should use that for in and out and things will work properly. If all you have is computer speakers then plug those in using an adapter to the interface headphones or the rear outputs. 

https://youtu.be/Avtw7dOb0fM

https://youtu.be/iAeqy0nW5uY

Edited by John Vere

The reason why I would like to try another output is the poor quality of the exported wav-files. The projects sound great when in listen to them in cakewalk, but as soon as I export them they sound completely different, dull, without any transparency, simply awfull and not presentable by any standards. So I thought I try another output. But maybe I try the onboard soundcard of my computer.

If they sound great in Cakewalk, then it isn't your Audio interface. Changing audio interfaces is not the answer.

There must be something not right in the export process. (Chosing the wrong bus, exporting from a submix, exporting as 128 bit mp3, etc.

Can you tell us a little more about what you're doing?

It may not be a problem with the export.

It may be a problem with the playback software.

To determine if the problem is the export or the playback, import the exported file back into CbB. If the  imported file sounds the same as the original project when played in CbB, the problem is the playback software. Make sure Windows and the playback software do not have any audio "enhancements" enabled.

• Like 1