Music Creator and Focusrite Scarlett issues

Carol

Hello:  I use Cakewalk Music Creator 5 and a Focusrite Scarlett solo external soundcard to reduce latency.  I use the vst instruments that come with Cakewalk.  Even with the external sound card, the high notes are dropping out.  I usually use the piano vst tracks and have several tracks I want played at the same time.  What am I doing wrong?

It is difficult from the OP to know if the user is reporting actual audio drop outs (usually accompanied with a message from the DAW or the audio engine is shutting down) or some MIDI data not being played. Providing a little more info may help such as, the name of the failing plug-in, project sample rate and ASIO buffer settings, OS and details about the PC hardware.

3 hours ago, Carol said:

What software would you recommend?

Cakewalk by BandLab is the latest version of Sonar Platinum, which was the flag ship Cakewalk product before the demise of Cakewalk Inc. Music Creator was the entry level product at the time.

I'd recommend installing Cakewalk by BandLab. Not only do you get a flagship product, but it's now free.

AFAIK it should load your Music Creator projects - can anyone here confirm this is the case?

The Music Creator series was based on SONAR code. The project files made in MC5 are similar to SONAR 8.

The issues moving from MC5 to CbB are

• CbB requires 64bit Win7 or newer. It works best on Win10. CbB does run on 32bit Windows.
  • CbB requires an internet connection to activate the software.
  • MC5 is a 32bit DAW. Any projects containing 32bit DX plug-ins may load without those plug-ins unless there are 64bit DX versions installed.

The minimum requirements for CbB are listed on this page

I have windows 10 64 bit, so I will go get the Cakewalk by BandLab.  Most of my files are midi, so I don't forsee a problem transferring, I just need to learn the new program.  

I am wondering if my processor is too slow for my plug-ins?  I have AMD E1-2500 APU.  Maybe I need a faster processor.

14 minutes ago, Carol said:

I have windows 10 64 bit, so I will go get the Cakewalk by BandLab.  Most of my files are midi, so I don't forsee a problem transferring, I just need to learn the new program. 

I am wondering if my processor is too slow for my plug-ins?  I have AMD E1-2500 APU.  Maybe I need a faster processor.

That CPU is a bit dated by today's standards, at 1.4GHz. http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/E1-Series/E1-2500.html

But if you can run Windows 10 you should be able to work with it, as long as you can keep the track and plugin count low.

Audio files are actually less demanding on the CPU than MIDI, if you are relying on virtual instruments to generate the sounds.

But you can "freeze" the instrument tracks, which generates audio files from the MIDI, to reduce demand on your CPU. You can unfreeze them to make changes, and then refreeze them. That will allow you to work with more tracks on a slower CPU.