Problem converting audio to midi

Keni

I have a monophonic guitar recording.

When I drag it to a midi track, i get the conversion dialog followed by every clip on every track getting a midi track written to my destination track including clips that were deleted from the song file.

What's going on? I haven’t used this function in a long time, but it never did this before.

I have Melodyne Editor 4 installed.

I have been having this for many months now using melodyne studio 5 and i am behind on my cake update version. I adapted by moving anything i want to change to midi to  beyond the end of the song so the only midi i get is the clip or track i want, then move the midi to the location it belongs back in the song. Otherwise like you say every single track in the project will convert to midi on the destination track all lumped together. I hope to learn why this happens and how to make it work right.  

I don't know but I just tried this were I took a lead guitar solo and dragged it to a new midi track and I got a pretty good tracking of the guitar solo. Only a few octave jumps to edit and it's done. Did you set the dialog to "melodic" ? I have the latest Cakewalk with Build 147 and Melodyne Assistant 5. 

Only thing that I can think of is your selecting more than the one track,, but that wouldn't explain the deleted files. 

Screenshot (114).png

Edited by John Vere

For me, it has happened a bunch of times and I am sure at least one of those was a melodic algorithm. I suspect it has something to do with selection of the material one wants to midi, but have just worked around it so haven't put much time into figuring it out. 

26 minutes ago, treesha said:

I have been having this for many months now using melodyne studio 5 and i am behind on my cake update version. I adapted by moving anything i want to change to midi to  beyond the end of the song so the only midi i get is the clip or track i want, then move the midi to the location it belongs back in the song. Otherwise like you say every single track in the project will convert to midi on the destination track all lumped together. I hope to learn why this happens and how to make it work right.  

Thanks Treesha...

Yes. My workaround was to copt/paste the track to a new project and convert where it was the only clip in the project. Then copy/pasted the midi back to my project.

It does a decent job of converting. I’ve long known that but hadn’t encountered this issue until just now.

6 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I don't know but I just tried this were I took a lead guitar solo and dragged it to a new midi track and I got a pretty good tracking of the guitar solo. Only a few octave jumps to edit and it's done. Did you set the dialog to "melodic" ? 

Screenshot (114).png

Thanks John...

I’ve used the pitch to midi conversion many times in the past but not recently. The conversion is working even now, but for some reason it's converting every clip in the audio folder into a midi clip and depositing them all on my destination track.

As I explain above, doing this in a project with only one audio clip got around the issue for now.

1 minute ago, treesha said:

I have used  cakewalk and melodyne for years too and only recently encountered this too, not even after a specific upgrade if I recall right. I am still on 9.2020  and current melodyne studio 5. 

I’m running 2021.04 and melo 4 editor as I’m trapped at win8.1

Has anyone formally reported this to bandlab/celemony?

I may post such for additional support anyway.

Might be a bug in version 4? I just did it again in the same song same guitar but a different clip.. The song has a lot of audio and midi going on. And doing this I created a cool sound by now doubling the guitar riff with a Banjo VST called YoJo. 

Anyhow in the past I've probably converted close to 100 bass tracks into midi. I even did this with Home studio. 

So I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem but here's what we do now.. @Noel Borthwick   - now Noel will read this thread. 

He'll probably ask for you to send a copy of the project. 

I have melodyne studio version 5 not 4. I have had this happen when  I want to convert some audio to midi which I don't do on every project and I don't have a current project with a wacky conversion and I don't know which of my completed projects it happened in, so I couldn't provide a project until it happens again in a future project.  So hopefully if a project is needed the current one Keni is having the issue with is available. 

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Might be a bug in version 4? I just did it again in the same song same guitar but a different clip.. The song has a lot of audio and midi going on. And doing this I created a cool sound by now doubling the guitar riff with a Banjo VST called YoJo. 

Anyhow in the past I've probably converted close to 100 bass tracks into midi. I even did this with Home studio. 

So I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem but here's what we do now.. @Noel Borthwick   - now Noel will read this thread. 

He'll probably ask for you to send a copy of the project. 

Thanks John.

Pretty big project to send but I will if needed. Bug appears in both melo 4&5. I've done this many times over the years starting back before Melodyne was involved, so I doubt it's something I'm doing. When I moved (copy/pasted) the track to an empty project and it worked fine.

• Like 2