Studio One 25% off

cclarry

Well, FTR, I just used Apple as an example, because they're so familiar to everyone and they're an extremely successful brand (as I see this is getting politicized, I will clarify that I'm an Android user and even used to work for an Andrioid platofrm using mobile phone brand). I was merely explaining a very elementary business strategy concept. Apple, Google, Mercedes, Toyota, Nike --- very strong brands protect against deep discounting. It's literally what every brand aspires to. I realize Larry is reacting as a consumer that is ticked off that Presonus isn't discounting like they used to, and I wish they did too, but I am just trying to explain a basic business concept of why most very established brands want to protect against deep discounting. It's definitely not a rarity. Everyone who has been a business manager, brand manager or marketing manager is very familiar with the concepts. My key point is that it doesn't make a brand evil that they don't want to deep discount. But just because you don't understand a concept doesn't mean consumers are stupid or a company is bad. That is an illogical and unreasonable leap. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

5 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Presonus not at 50% off ever again. Please don't tell me so.   :(

Predicting the future price is problematic. Waiting until a few of weeks before the release of version 6 may get you a bargain on 5 especially during the silly season that used to be called Black Friday. At any rate, so far the policy has been to give upgrade pricing for any prior version of software, which you will probably feel is unfair if you are just one version behind, but if it holds, it is a good argument for skipping a version or two unless you need some new feature to function. I apparently got StudioOne 4 as an upgrade for $62.58 in November 2018, and I have not used it enough in the interim to replace it with a newer version at twice the price.

• Like 2

I got version three but didn't register it until version 4 came out.  So I got version 4 too because of the grace period.   I haven't used it enough to upgrade yet. I do like some of the features but as a hobbyist now I can wait for a great price or until version 6 is released. 

25 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

At any rate, so far the policy has been to give upgrade pricing for any prior version of software, which you will probably feel is unfair if you are just one version behind, but if it holds, it is a good argument for skipping a version or two unless you need some new feature to function.

This policy is what's keeping me from upgrading.  I've normally waited for the 50% off sale to upgrade (and regularly).  But if there's no penalty in waiting for a few versions to go by, why spend money now.  SO4 does everthing I need.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, abacab said:

For ugliest, I vote Reaper, FL, and Bitwig Studio. 😉

The only time I looked (when it seemed that it might be able to both open and play .cwp files) Reaper could be made to look ok, via themes, but the menus were terrible, almost as if the makers had never considered that a user might need to find something at some point. Never seriously looked at the other two, but yeah if Bitwig was on a dating site, it would be probably be described as fun and cuddly with GSOH.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, cclarry said:

Granted...but my point is that they are getting "Singer syndrome"....if you know what I mean....their ego is getting bigger than it should,
which results in "we're great so we don't have to" mentality, which is ultimately detrimental to the cause...

It's NEVER good to become so "steeped" in "my product" that all objectivity goes out the window...

Another one with Singer’s syndrome (great term!) is Celemony. They have forgotten about Studio version customers who’ve spent more on their products than anyone else. Actually, they’ve not forgotten, they treat us as suckers who they take for granted. 

• Like 2

I have Studio One Pro 3 and am just starting to get back into using a DAW and have only been using Cakewalk. What are the specific features that those of you who prefer Studio One think makes it worth the money? 

I'm definitely interested if I find there's a compelling advantage to Studio One. 

If you don't know what you need yet, then Cakewalk is probably enough for you now.

Cakewalk is a very deep and powerful DAW, that can do most things well. I have been using it for over 20 years. And I also have Studio One Pro, that I picked up when Gibson first shut Cakewalk down.

But you will know when the time comes to try something new, when you cannot do something easily that you need to do in Cakewalk. But only you can know what that is, and everybody has different workflow needs, so there's no one-size-fits-all answer to what is the best DAW.

Best suggestion I could make is subscribe to PreSonus Sphere for a month or two, and give everything a go. Then decide if it's worth it to upgrade.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 3

3 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I would say the chord track is a neat feature of Studio One that I hope Cakewalk adds soon.  

When you start fiddling with already printed material and want to play with altering arrangements or chord progressions on the fly, Studio One will stand out. The ARA2 integration into the chord track itself is rather impressive.

For anyone considering demoing this upgrade I read somewhere that if you're not careful you can end up being locked out of your projects - ie once opened in 5 you will no longer open them in your v3 for example. No idea if that is true or not and can't remember where I read it now, probably here somewhere, but just in case it might be an idea to only try it on a copy of your project so you still have the original if this is true.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, paulo said:

For anyone considering demoing this upgrade I read somewhere that if you're not careful you can end up being locked out of your projects - ie once opened in 5 you will no longer open them in your v3 for example. No idea if that is true or not and can't remember where I read it now, probably here somewhere, but just in case it might be an idea to only try it on a copy of your project so you still have the original if this is true.

You would have to save said project, not just open it for that to happen. That's always been my experience anyway.

That's pretty much how it's been in all versions, part of it is just like CbB or any other, if you get a new feature and use it in your project and save, and then say, nah I don't like this version, when you go back to the previous version which doesn't have said feature, when you try to open it you can expect something. Then there may be other reasons to it IDK, but, you don't go in blind, you are forewarned when you open a project from a prior version in a latter version. Just save a copy first, or save another version from within when and if you save, it's no big deal.

Edited by Fret Flintstone

2 hours ago, paulo said:

This is true for Studio One. I believe it's the save that bites you, not just opening, but it wouldn't hurt to be careful.

Always use a "copy" of a project in testing any new software version, in any DAW. New features once saved to a file are not always backwards compatible with old versions.

• Like 1