Metronome - 3/4 Waltz

I'm new to all of this, so apologies in advance if I ask a very silly question. I want to create a simple click track and need to change my metronome settings. I want a Waltz, so 3/4, but when I set the 'beat per measure'  to 3 and 'beat value' to 4, I get the 3/4 time signature, but how do I create the Waltz feel? Any help would be most appreciated! :)

You may need to enter a more negative dB value for Other Beats in metronome properties. I usually go with -1 and -7dB for First Beat and Other Beats, respectively. I think the default is only 3dB lower, and does not provide enough 'contrast' for my taste.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

You are correct and it's why I often avoid using the metronome.  I use drum patterns instead, most originated with my Roland 505 drum machine. 

Here are a few of my midi drum patterns as well as the Tennessee Waltz which has bass and strings as well.

Make sure you have NO midi output devices selected in Preferences and the TTS-1 should load and play these files. 

waltz beat 85 BPM.mid WALTZ 2 104 BPM.mid Waltz 3 122 BPM.mid

TENNESSEE WALTZ.mid

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Um... define "Waltz feel". The metronome should provide a "BAP  bip  bip  BAP  bip  bip" without any difficulty.

Yeah, that's correct, that's very easy to do, but that won't help if the feel of the song is different, e.g. something like:

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

You are correct and it's why I often avoid using the metronome.  I use drum patterns instead, most originated with my Roland 505 drum machine. 

Here are a few of my midi drum patterns as well as the Tennessee Waltz which has bass and strings as well.

Make sure you have NO midi output devices selected in Preferences and the TTS-1 should load and play these files. 

waltz beat 85 BPM.mid 4.62 kB · 1 download WALTZ 2 104 BPM.mid 3.9 kB · 0 downloads Waltz 3 122 BPM.mid 4.69 kB · 2 downloads

TENNESSEE WALTZ.mid 6.71 kB · 0 downloads

That's great, thanks so much! :)

Hi, I'd like to comment that an alternative to waltz feel could be the use of Midi Fx Midi Quantize on the Fx bin.
Sometimes I use it on melodies, setting the resolution to 1/8 triplets or 1/16 triplets.
Maybe it could work on a click track!

By the way, John Vere nice rhythm MIDI clips, thanks for sharing!

Edited by mgustavo