"Duplicate" Equivalent

Greetings...

I have been trying out another software for the past week.  I guess because of my using Sonar/CbB I won't be changing over any time soon.

But it had one function called "duplicate" that I really liked.  All I had to do was press "D" and it would duplicate the MIDI clip and it would copy the selected clip and place it in the exact place on the track without my having to "move" or "nudge" or do anything else to line it up manually behind the clip that comes before it.  Truly it is a very simple way to line things up other than doing a "Copy/Paste" and then fiddle around with it to put it exactly where I want it to be on the track.

I've searched all the keyboard shortcuts and haven't been able to find an equivalent function in CbB.  Is there a shortcut that is called something else that would let me do the same thing?

As usual, all replies are very much appreciated. 😊

/OM

Hi Oscar :)

I'm pretty sure that Cakewalk does not do this. I remember coming across this "feature" when trying at the same DAW as you, after the demise of SONAR, and it was certainly new to me back then.

That said, I am not up to speed with all the Cakewalk enhancements so hopefully someone with more experience will confirm.

However, if you select a clip and turn on "Groove-Clip Looping" this will at least let you drag out a clip over the required number of bars, or whatever. And, in a way, I actually prefer this.

cheers

andy

In CbB, "D" opens and closes the Multidock, but I'm guessing you already know that. If I recall you're asking about Addictive Drum clips. Really, the Cakewalk method is easier and more flexible. Select any clip (just click on it once), press Ctrl+L to convert it to a "Groove Clip," and drag the right end of the clip as far as you want. The clip will repeat on the timeline, with the added benefit that it stops wherever you stop dragging. For example, if you have a 4-bar clip and your musical section is ten measures you won't find yourself with 12 measures of Addictive Drums and have to cut one of them in half to fit your space. Just stop dragging at ten measures. If you are concerned about having to "move" or "nudge" your clip to position it correctly, just set the snap-to-grid value to what you want: quarter notes, whole notes, whole measures, etc., and your clips will follow that setting. Easy peasey!

2 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

to convert it to a "Groove Clip," and drag the right end of the clip as far as you want.

As per what I said above

4 hours ago, synkrotron said:

and turn on "Groove-Clip Looping" this will at least let you drag out a clip over the required number of bars, or whatever.

Just now, synkrotron said:

...and turn on "Groove-Clip Looping" this will at least let you drag out a clip over the required number of bars, or whatever.

Right, I know you said it first, Andy. Just wanted to stress the advantages of this looping function over Samplitude's "D" command, which really is kind of clunky.

Just now, Larry Jones said:

Right, I know you said it first, Andy. Just wanted to stress the advantages of this looping function over Samplitude's "D" command, which really is kind of clunky.

Okay Larry,

So, Samplitude does the "D" thing to duplicate too? I was thinking it was Studio One, which does the same :)

2 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Okay Larry,

So, Samplitude does the "D" thing to duplicate too? I was thinking it was Studio One, which does the same :)

Yes... Studio One was the DAW I was trying out and I really liked the "D" command.

I didn't want to call out Studio One by name because I thought you weren't allowed to do that here.  I sure don't want to get kicked out of here for doing so.  😀

7 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

So, Samplitude does the "D" thing to duplicate too? I was thinking it was Studio One, which does the same

I've used them both and I might have gotten mixed up about the "D" command. Either way I think it's not as good as Groove Clips.

Thanks for the replies, fellas...

I have been playing around with the suggestions given and have decided that I like the "paste special" way of duplicating clips.  I can't believe that for all the years I have been using Cakewalk I never bothered - or even knew about this function.  I guess there's still a lot to be learned, huh?  😕

/OM

44 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Re: Paste Special.
Often I want a clip to repeat every 16 bars (for example). Does Paste Special have the ability to put clips non-continuously, as in paste a 1-measure clip every 16 bars?

Yes, with Paste Special, you can set the starting time (the first pasted clip) and if you want to paste more than 1 repetitions, you can set the interval. It will work as "repeat every xxx measure".

BTW, instead of using copy-paste, I always use "Ctrl + drag" the clip to copy anywhere I want to duplicate the clip.

Edited by James Argo
add more info
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, James Argo said:

Yes, with Paste Special, you can set the starting time (the first pasted clip) and if you want to paste more than 1 repetitions, you can set the interval. It will work as "repeat every xxx measure".

Thanks, James.