Wavesfactory Strum Guitar

cclarry

I remember one of the reasoning for left hand chords/right hand strumming for a guitar library was that when playing on a guitar you're basically doing the same, that is playing chords with your left hand and strumms with right so it's more natural that way. I'm not sure offhand but I think it was Acousticsamples. And I kinda get it, but I can see how people would like it to be the other way. Also some libraries do allow us to move the keyswitches freely, I think it was also Acousticsamples :). EDIT: LOL posting at the same time with Paulo 😂

Edited by chris.r

30 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I was seriously considering this, but now I think I'll save my money towards an Ample Sound guitar.

As PavlovsCat mentioned, both OTS and AS sound great; here's some additional info to consider when deciding which to go with:

• OTS libraries are Kontakt (Player, so you don't need to buy anything else) based; AS have their own plugin.
  • AS are MIDI guitar compatible (e.g. channel 1 for string 1, channel 2 for string 2, etc); not sure if OTS are (I don't have any OTS guitar libraries)
  • AS have recently released updates for some of their instruments, sometimes adding new articulations (e.g. a pick-sound library); they've released their updates for free
  • The more you buy in one order with AS, the bigger a discount you'll get.
  • Even during a sale, it's probably cheaper to go with OTS if you want an 'everything' bundle
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. At this point, I am only going to be able to afford one library so I am not looking for an everything bundle. I am playing with AGML, the lite version of AS Martin. I like what I see so far. There is no demo that I can see for the OTS guitars. I already have NI Session Guitarists Strummed Acoustic 1 & 2 Session Guitarist Picked Acoustic, all the UJAM guitars, AAS Strum  and Sugar Bytes Guitarist. I am looking for something more flexible and sounds good.

Wavesfactory has put a ton of thought into this.  They've really tried to make it unique and great.  I truly don't understand why they didn't let users re-assign the placement of keyswitches.  This is a pretty standard feature.

Yes, I've played guitar for 50 years and I can strum with my right and play the chords with my left hand.  I imagine it would be very hard to strum with my left and chord with my right.   And if somebody created a guitar that I had to play like that I wouldn't buy it.  Life is too short. 😡

So why create a virtual instrument and make it all topsy-turvy like that?   Seriously I would like to see somebody from Wavesfactory play this freaking thing.   And if any of you think I'm wrong, make a video of you being a guitar hero with this.   You must be real keyboard aces, leaving even Simeon in the dust.

I've sent a note to Wavesfactory to see what they say about adding a feature where you can move the key switches in a future update. 👍

Certainly, I could re-map the keyswitches right within Cubase.  And I could create a template within Komplete Kontrol so everything would be easy to see.   But you know... it's kind of their job to make their instruments playable out of the box--so I can buy them.  🤔 I am ready to buy this today.

If only it was a crap product then I wouldn't be upset.  But it really looks great. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Yeah, forgot about Indiginus. Quite unique indeed. 

I haven't bought any of his libraries, but I'll always remember when a certain developer friend of mine was being attacked in a forum by one super abbrassive guy, the Indiginus developer stepped in and was just such a decent and fair person I really respected him. I know my friend Jay Asher uses his libraries and really likes them. 

10 hours ago, chris.r said:

At last. Are there any good known alternatives already?

I have a Taylor acoustic in the living room, a LP and Tele in another room.  Maybe I should start strumming those.  With today's DAW technology I should be able to edit the suck out of my playing hopefully.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, antler said:

As PavlovsCat mentioned, both OTS and AS sound great; here's some additional info to consider when deciding which to go with:

• OTS libraries are Kontakt (Player, so you don't need to buy anything else) based; AS have their own plugin.
  • AS are MIDI guitar compatible (e.g. channel 1 for string 1, channel 2 for string 2, etc); not sure if OTS are (I don't have any OTS guitar libraries)
  • AS have recently released updates for some of their instruments, sometimes adding new articulations (e.g. a pick-sound library); they've released their updates for free
  • The more you buy in one order with AS, the bigger a discount you'll get.
  • Even during a sale, it's probably cheaper to go with OTS if you want an 'everything' bundle
  • AS can read TAB, and you can drag it to the piano roll (well, I *think* you can, so maybe it's also a TAB - MIDI converter?)
  • AS forum seem to be a lot more active
  • OTS models moving the right hand closer/farther from the bridge, although it doesn't do this with samples but with an algorithm. AS does not have this feature.

I got in touch with Jesus from Wavesfactory and they have already made the change.   On the settings page there is a mapping option that allows you to choose left or right.

Unfortunately I have just discovered that I can't see the colors for key switches in Kontakt.  I don't know when this problem started.  Anyway  I'm not going to be able to figure this out for a while.   [NOTE: I figured this out.  Did you know that you can turn off the colored keyswitches in Kontakt settings?  Why would you want to do that?  Well if you want, you can.]

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

For electric guitar libraries, I am especially in love with their Rock Standard, a Les Paul, Evolution Songwriter Acoustic Guitar and Evolution Flatpick 6 -- these guitars have just beautiful tone and the presets are superb (their mandolin library is also amazing, IMO).

I just wish the mandolin owner had his mandolin properly setup beforehand. There's way too much fret buzz. You can get rid of it by limiting velocity to less than 50, but this limits your dynamics. Still, it's the best mandolin VST out there, except for tremolo (which is a BIG part of mandolin playing - I end up manually entering the tremolo note-by-note to get it to sound right, very tedious).

Sorry, about intercepting this thread but I very much want a better mandolin VSTi.....

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

I just wish the mandolin owner had his mandolin properly setup beforehand. There's way too much fret buzz. You can get rid of it by limiting velocity to less than 50, but this limits your dynamics. Still, it's the best mandolin VST out there, except for tremolo (which is a BIG part of mandolin playing - I end up manually entering the tremolo note-by-note to get it to sound right, very tedious).

Sorry, about intercepting this thread but I very much want a better mandolin VSTi.....

Have you explored the Indiginus Mandolin?  I don't have it, but I really like their guitars.   One of my favorite features is that they let you auto-generate harmony playing.   You can hear this feature in the demos.

https://www.indiginus.com/the-mandolin

Edited by Reid Rosefelt

Yes, thank you, Reid. I auditioned that  mandolin but that sound was more like classical "Italian style" bowl-back mandolins rather than bluegrass "German style" archtop mandolins. I'm looking for the latter.

• Like 1

I like this, but the main problem is that it doesn't recognize many chords.  I don't know what it does beyond  major and minors.   It doesn't really say.

There are also two extra nkis-- one with chords and one with notes.  So you can play lead lines with this as well as strum. 

I'm going to give the edge to the NI strummers because they recognize more chords.  The AAS and ujam guitars also recognize a lot of complex chords.   

But this has its place.  I like being able to stack four guitars at once, and the strumming engine is good. 👍

• Thanks 1