Issues transitioning Cakewalk from PC to laptop

Matt Dunn

Question

Hi, 

I'm transitioning my Cakewalk activity from a Windows 10 PC to a brand new laptop. Same version of Cakewalk on both machines (2021.04 (Build 144, 64 bit). Thought it would be more-or-less a 'straight swap', but I'm encountering some odd issues that I'm not tech-savvy enough to understand.

1. I can't get Rapture Session to load. It showed the error "Cakewalk VST Scan: VST Plug-in Load Error" during the initial vst scan. The content reads: The following plug-in caused an error during loading: Rapture64LE, and The failure point was reported as: Main Call. When in a project, I can select it from the instrument list, but throws the error message Sorry, a fatal error occured: Failed to locate resources. Then it creates the track, but only shows the outline of the top of the Rapture window border, with nothing underneath it. Also, Rapture LE is gone altogether.

2. Roland Groove Synth (which I frequently use) is no longer listed as an instrument at all, although a search reveals 123 files containing Roland in the name, so I'm guessing it's there somewhere in one form or another. Another called PSYN II is also now missing -- both are shown as DX in the instrument list on the PC, while the rest that are still showing up in the list on the laptop are VST2/VST3 -- is that relevant?

3. Cakewalk Sound Centre doesn't do anything. All the instruments are listed, but there are no images to the side and nothing loads.  

Am I missing something really obvious here? Is any of this simply because I haven't disconnected my keyboard from the PC and hooked it up to the laptop yet? Is this somehow reliant on the MIDI Input being detected? (I have no idea if that's a really clever or a really dumb question!)

Any help, advise or suggestions gratefully accepted, coz I don't really know where to start.

Cheers,
Matt

1501056605_Raptureloaderror.png.9f13432bb05a05ccfa23586d187075c1.png

947116560_CakewalkSoundCentreerror.png.f5912d7fd6bdb69d6c6acf23e4516534.png

3 answers to this question

It does sound like a bad install.

May want to perform a clean install.

The instructions are here https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab

If you elect to perform a clean install be aware that step 8 will delete all 3rd party plug-ins under the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" folder. If you have any 3rd party plug-ins installed there (usually they would be in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins") consider save the folder to somewhere else before  proceeding with step 8 and restore the folder(s) after running the CbB installer.

After cleaning the previous installs off the PC, here is a post about building a new DAW using SONAR and CbB.

BTW,  make sure to install Rapture Session after completely installing Cakewalk Sound Center and any expansion packs (and any versions of Dimension, Rapture and their expansion packs too). This will allow Rapture Session to copy the legacy presets into its preset browser. Rapture Session is the 64bit replacement for Cakewalk Sound Center. 

• Thanks 1