[SOLVED-ISH] Camel Audio Alchemy & Patches Problem

jim137

I know Camel Audio's Alchemy is a dead program for PC, but I still love it sounds and used it on many older tracks.

This is my problem, I pick a preset/patch for instance: "Double Autoharp".

I check in the event viewer and the MIDI track has no patches on it.

I start the track and either I get no sound or "Autoharp-Binaural" (another listed patch in the browser).

If I look in the Synth Rack, the "Double Autoharp" patch is selected, but no sound.

If I select it again while playing, it turns on or sometimes switches and turn on to "Autoharp-Binaural".

I have tried bouncing the track to audio, freezing the track and recording the track live to an audio track.

But still get nothing, or the wrong patch, or miss the start of the track because i must manually choose the patch again.

I have gone into prefs and I have Zero controller..., MIDI  chase on play..., and Include Note Events checked.

I have tried various versions of checked and unchecked these three choices with no differences to the problem.

Going into the patch browser only one patch is listed: "Autoharp-Binaural" most of the time.

I have tried changing the controller normal, controller 32 etc.

On a fresh insertion of Alchemy, the patch browser only lists "1963SemiAcoustic Short" as the only available Patch.

No other synth has this problem.  I know it is probably in Alchemy and it is a lost cause.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the synth with no differences.

When you reinstall, and load it the first time it goes through some sort of check for patches like Dimension Pro used to go through with the refresh key.

Cakewalk_2019-04-07_09-48-09.png.add73df010e59e37f7505aa2d3ec98ec.png

Any advice, suggestions?

Please advise. 

image.png

Edited by jim137
solved

The only thing I can think of is that you have a controller setting the volume to zero. Be aware that some controller information in Alchemy is global, you may change a controller in one patch and it will effect another patch - yikes! Bit me. That doesn't explain why patches change. I know it's not much help, but Alchemy works fine with the latest cbb and platinum on win 7 and it's been working fine for me on win 10.

Thanks for the responses. Neither response led to any changes.

Out of curiosity, I loaded it into Cubase and have the same problem.

Must be in the program or the version of the program or in the presets themselves.

I guess I just must move on and let go of the synth. 

I was using Alchemy a week or so ago in Studio One 4. Worked fine. Will try it again and also in CbB when I am back at my DAW. Very disappointed if this doesn't work. "Camel" and Apple can both rot in Hell. Thinking of all the convolutions to download and keep installers and data files with no certainty that the program would re-install/authenticate etc.   It's inevitable that it will go I suppose though still infuriating.

I too have Studio One R4.

But it too exhibits the same jumping patch when played as the other DAWS.

I set "Double Autoharp" as patch; hit play; patch jumps to Plain "Autoharp."

I set "80s Disco Funk" as patch; hit play; patch humps to "1963SemiAcoutic Short."

ok.

I now have a work around.

One must be sure that in Studio One, that only one preset is listed in the presets window after a search otherwise it will jump to the top preset.Studio_One_2019-04-11_10-03-27.png.38e6e70c566c3b8b70466583da9838fc.png

The correct patch will play repeatedly.

I bounced to audio and then imported back  into Cakewalk.

Whew!

At least I can  make it do what I want it too now.