Transitory Evening - Music video with a tonne of CGI and live action

Chris Boshuizen

Hi All! Here is a song I wrote in Cake/Sonar.  I just released the music video that i made over the last 6 months. I think the video makes the song sound even more nuts!

Editing the vocal samples in this I used a pretty unconventional workflow. I wanted some of Haji Mikes phrases at natural speed (unedited) and others with a slightly quicker cadence. In fact, in this song are many sentences he didn't record exactly that way, I made them up in editing because it sounded cool. I also wanted to drop the vocals down one 1/2 step in pitch. 

Rather than using Cakewalk's clip tempo/stretch tool, or melodyne, I went offline and made two new audio files rendered in high quality, both pitched down, and one faster. I did the changes in Image Lines Edison because I liked the sound and quality best. I then dropped those into the project, applied a temporary tempo change to the sped up one to slow it back down and time match the original. Then I muted one clip, grouped them, and then split all the phrases and words I needed out of both audio files simultaneously. That was a super fast work flow, and gave me hundreds of linked pairs of vocal samples and phrases to select from. I then selected all of the clips corresponding the tempo changed clip, and took the temporary change off.  That left me with two tracks: one full of natural speed sliced clips, and the other with sped up clips, temporarily muted, but with each clip starting at the same start time. And this last point was the key - after split, everything was still in the same place. I could then drag each pair to where I wanted them for creative purposes. And one of the nice things about grouped clips in Cakewalk, if you mute them, the state of both clips flip, so the muted one becomes unmuted, and vice versa. So for every phrase, I could audition the faster or slower clip and see which sounded better just by hitting the k key. If you didn't follow any of this, I'll post a screenshot!

It is a bit strange, but I feel this way I got a higher quality result than just splitting on track, and stretching clips willy nilly as I needed them. 

And without further ado, here it is:

• Like 3

On 5/4/2021 at 3:31 PM, KurtS said:

Not my style of music but it sounds professionally done, so nice recording job.

Thanks Kurt! Appreciate the comment and thanks for listening!

On 5/5/2021 at 7:13 AM, jack c. said:

love l/r panning.great job of recording.jack c.

Haha yes, with this track we could do lots of silly things, it was a fun one to work on. 

On 5/4/2021 at 5:23 PM, David Sprouse said:

Loved this.    You have a really great song here IMHO.

Thank you David, really appreciate the kind words!

On 5/7/2021 at 4:21 AM, mark skinner said:

Excellent . I believe all the work put into this production was Well worth it. Very much enjoyed ..  mark

Thank you Mark! We probably spent too long on it, but hey, it works! By the way,  you seem to like Voyager! Here is one I posted last year, also made in Cake: 

On 5/4/2021 at 8:08 PM, Chris Boshuizen said:

Hi All! Here is a song I wrote in Cake/Sonar.  I just released the music video that i made over the last 6 months. I think the video makes the song sound even more nuts!

Editing the vocal samples in this I used a pretty unconventional workflow. I wanted some of Haji Mikes phrases at natural speed (unedited) and others with a slightly quicker cadence. In fact, in this song are many sentences he didn't record exactly that way, I made them up in editing because it sounded cool. I also wanted to drop the vocals down one 1/2 step in pitch. 

Rather than using Cakewalk's clip tempo/stretch tool, or melodyne, I went offline and made two new audio files rendered in high quality, both pitched down, and one faster. I did the changes in Image Lines Edison because I liked the sound and quality best. I then dropped those into the project, applied a temporary tempo change to the sped up one to slow it back down and time match the original. Then I muted one clip, grouped them, and then split all the phrases and words I needed out of both audio files simultaneously. That was a super fast work flow, and gave me hundreds of linked pairs of vocal samples and phrases to select from. I then selected all of the clips corresponding the tempo changed clip, and took the temporary change off.  That left me with two tracks: one full of natural speed sliced clips, and the other with sped up clips, temporarily muted, but with each clip starting at the same start time. And this last point was the key - after split, everything was still in the same place. I could then drag each pair to where I wanted them for creative purposes. And one of the nice things about grouped clips in Cakewalk, if you mute them, the state of both clips flip, so the muted one becomes unmuted, and vice versa. So for every phrase, I could audition the faster or slower clip and see which sounded better just by hitting the k key. If you didn't follow any of this, I'll post a screenshot!

It is a bit strange, but I feel this way I got a higher quality result than just splitting on track, and stretching clips willy nilly as I needed them. 

And without further ado, here it is:

Oh, I like the energy you got going here, nice work!