Free open source AUDACITY acquired by MUSE GROUP

aidan o driscoll

I personally don't see what the problem is - according to the article, the telemetry is optional.

Furthermore, it remains open source - anyone with relevant programming experience (including the original owners/maintainers of Audacity) can fork the latest release and disable the telemetry if they felt that strongly about it.

• Like 2

Because Audacity is GPL there is no way it can include ASIO support in the published binaries.  In order to get that you have to download the source, have a compiler and build it.  Kind of kills it's value.  I have the tools and can do this self compile, but even I won't waste the time to do it.

I've seen what looks like Google Analytics telemetry output when running Cakewalk in a debugger, coming from some plugin no doubt.  Not sure it's that big a deal really but I think it's more common than most people think.

• Thanks 1

I was curious and I think it's Kontakt that is spewing this when I instert it:

Tracker UA-125056275-1 enqueued hit:
  "aip" = "1"
  "cd1" = "release"
  "cd2" = "Authorized"
  "cd3" = "Online"
  "cd4" = "Off"
  "cd5" = "Windows 10 (10.0.19042.964)"
  "ea" = "StartSession"
  "ec" = "Lifecycle"
  "sc" = "start"
  "sr" = "0x0"
  "t" = "event"
  "ul" = "English"

I may have authorized Kontakt to collect data though.  Can't remember.  I usually say no but I make exceptions for companies I want to help.

Update: Nope, it's turned off in Kontakt but it's definitely spitting that to the debug output when I start it.  And that is a Google Analytics tracking code.

Edited by Matthew Sorrels
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, Matthew Sorrels said:

Because Audacity is GPL there is no way it can include ASIO support in the published binaries.  In order to get that you have to download the source, have a compiler and build it.  Kind of kills it's value.  I have the tools and can do this self compile, but even I won't waste the time to do it.

I did it once years ago partly just to see if I could do it, to refresh my build skills. Setting up the whole build environment on Windows 7, downloading all the dependencies, getting all the variables right, wow, what a string of chores. And then after that I couldn't even legally give it away. And it didn't work any better than WASAPI.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

And it didn't work any better than WASAPI.

Audio editors may be one of the few apps that lower latency ASIO isn't a huge win.  But having it as a option can be really important depending on the quality and compatibility of your audio drivers.  Otherwise you may not be able to run both the audio editor and your DAW at the same time.   It would be really good for the world if Steinberg would change their licensing so that GPL software could work with it.  It would also be nice if they could open VST2 and VST3 up.  Never going to happen though.