Feature request: Show last point in song

I've run into this on a few projects over the years and it's really kind of annoying.

So I have a song as you can see in the image. When I do a CTRL+F, this is how it fills the screen. So there's something at the end that is extending the project WAY beyond the end of the music... AND I CANNOT FIND IT. It's not a floating piece of audio. It doesn't appear to be an envelope marker. I have no idea what it is. But it's there, and now exporting this track takes twice as long because it dumps this whole thing, and I have to go in and cut over a third of the track out.

So my request is: would it be possible to have a button or something where, when you hit it, it will show you where the absolute end of your song is and/or what is the very last thing in your track? So if you have a loose envelope marker from a rearranging you did on a track andCakewalk-screengrab.thumb.gif.0743db0e142240ed6f420048d6eba2c5.gif forgot about, or some piece of audio or whatever was left well beyond the end, it can show you what that is so you can delete it?

- OR -  maybe have it so you can put the Now Time marker at where you consider to be the end of the song, and have a menu feature that says "Delete everything beyond the Now Marker" or something like that, and it will just nuke everything beyond that point, so you no longer get invisible extended songs.

• Like 1

Cakewalk plays until the last bit of data is encountered (and beyond if Stop at Project End is disabled).

Most often there is a MIDI event or automation node far to the right on the timeline.

The steps to truncate the length of a project are:

• Position Now time at the expected end of the project,
  • Enable Ripple Edit all,
  • Select everything to the right of Now,  (ex. use "Select All" then "Select From Now"  from the main edit menu)
  • Delete the selection and
  • Turn off Ripple Edit

Should this method fail, submit the project to support.

There has been one report of a problem with a template some years back too. This would not truncate using the process mentioned above. I do not believe support reviewed the issue. The user rebuilt suspect template and the project and the problem disappeared.

This method should deal with export length too.

Since I always disable Stop at Project End my projects always play until I stop the transport. Also, I always export a time-based selection. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lapasoa said:

Hey Scook , don't you think that it's far more easy that Cakewalk bakers can implemet a button or whatever in a way an user  could stop the somg at a point he likes?

Unless I misunderstand what you want, you can just jump to a marker that designates the point you want, and hit stop.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Unless I misunderstand what you want, you can just jump to a marker that designates the point you want, and hit stop.

It is exactly what I wanted to propose,as opposed to somebody else that prefers  some workaround.

22 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Control + End will take you to the end point

This is interesting. I never thought of this and tried it on a 5:16 song. Ctrl-End took me to 7:44. There is nothing out there or past 5:16. But you would think it would take you to the last bit of data.

4 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

3 hours ago, lapasoa said:

It is exactly what I wanted to propose,as opposed to somebody else that prefers  some workaround.

Folks... several of us have brought up the "Project End" issue over time, for which allowing the setting of a Marker to indicate the Project End woulod be all that is needed. It seems like a fairly simple programminmg change, or a maintenance fix, since checking the "Stop at project end" box works inconsistently.

lapasoa ... I commend your persistence. Hoping one of the tech folks at Bandlab can provide whether such a "Project Marker" addition is very complex or problematic, or agree that the Project End checkbox is not working correctly and agree to add it the list of "bugs" or on the enhancement list. I know I reported it as a "bug" two years ago, and in the various threads on this issue, adding the marker should also be on the enhancements list.

Scook ... I understand your bias, just feel differently, but am continually thankful for your various workaround suggestions!

Enough said... will continue living with the problem and enjoying all else Cakewalk offers me!

22 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

This is interesting. I never thought of this and tried it on a 5:16 song. Ctrl-End took me to 7:44. There is nothing out there or past 5:16. But you would think it would take you to the last bit of data.

I looked into this more and it turns out there was a Tempo node out at 7:44. I am not sure why since I didn't intentionally add it. I deleted it and it stops correctly and CTRL-End is at the correct spot.

23 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

I looked into this more and it turns out there was a Tempo node out at 7:44. I am not sure why since I didn't intentionally add it. I deleted it and it stops correctly and CTRL-End is at the correct spot.

I've noticed that since the new Tempo Track a tempo node is added at the end of the project every time I right click>'Reset Tempo Map' or 'Clear All' in the Tempo Track assuming there's none already. It's a little bit puzzling.

Edited by chris.r

53 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I've noticed that since the new Tempo Track a tempo node is added at the end of the project every time I right click>'Reset Tempo Map' or 'Clear All' in the Tempo Track assuming there's none already. It's a little bit puzzling.

I'll post it in the 2021.4 thread. Maybe something is amiss. Thanks for the followup Chris.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

I'll post it in the 2021.4 thread. Maybe something is amiss. Thanks for the followup Chris.

More of those quirks also with the regular envelopes. I guess it's still a work in progress overall. The only thing is that I'm afraid it is all going the more convoluted direction and not the most simple regarding expected versus received results, at least that's how it looks like by now. If so, in future it may result in many traps here and there when quick editing, even for the more experienced users not only beginners, where you will edit for example a note event and something different somewhere else, like an envelope at the other end of clip, will get 'corrupted' as an result without you even noticing it.

Edited by chris.r

On 5/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, lapasoa said:

Hey Scook , don't you think that it's far more easy that Cakewalk bakers can implemet a button or whatever in a way an user  could stop the somg at a point he likes?

You can force a song to pause or stop by inserting an MCI command in a MIDI track ( use either pause or stop in the data field as required )

image.png.720474a5a077ee50800d07851f9f7641.png

On 5/8/2021 at 9:16 PM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Control + End will take you to the end point

You can also click here, which will have the same effect:
image.png.a02a386cca9eb114d891e08ef5a54e4d.png

• Like 1