Cannot hear any virtual instrument played on Cakewalk

Sumana

Hello everyone,

I have just installed my first ever DAW  Cakewalk. I have no audio gear like audio interface or MiDi Controller etc. since I am just getting started. 

The problem I am facing is: When I pick any virtual instrument like SI - Drumkit or Bass, I cannot hear any sound while playing the instrument. But strangely, I can hear keyboard sound though and that is the only sound I can hear. How to resolve this issue? How do I start hearing the drums and other instruments that I play on Cakewalk?

The input and output drivers are my computer mic and speaker. 

I have also just downloaded and installed Cakewalk, and have the same problem. I went through every page of previous posts about this issue and watched every video and tried every setting, but I still am not getting any sound.  As a total beginner I find it frustrating that tutorials for "beginners" start off assume we beginners know stuff we clearly don't know.

Anyway, the only time I get sound is when I direct the output to "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth", and clearly that's not coming from the soft synth.

Hi both, what happens if you drag an audio file such as a  .wav file into Cakewalk and press play. Do you get a sound out of the speakers then?

if so, then it means your output assignment is OK.  With virtual instruments there is a bit more to understand but I would be surprised if you can't learn from the tutorials available. Mike from Creative Sauce has just released one on SI drums which I think is easy to understand. Not having a midi controller keyboard makes things a bit difficult but using the piano roll view you can still get sounds out of these VI's

Edited by Hatstand

OK, audio works.

Next try opening (File > Open) a MIDI file without any output device enabled in preferences.

This will create a project with the MIDI file and TTS-1 setup ready to play.

Click the play button in the transport or the space bar to start playing the MIDI file.

or

Use the Add Track Menu to add TTS-1 to a new project by performing the following steps

• Click the Add track button
  • Click the Instrument Tab in the Add Track menu
  • Click Create in the Add track menu

Make sure input echo button, to the right of the record button, is enabled in the newly added track

Then use your hardware controller or the virtual controller to play TTS-1

Try both to see the different ways soft synths may be routed in CbB.

• Like 1

On my web page there are lots of videos about using midi. 

https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/cakewalk-videos

This is a 5 part series you'll find there that covers everything starting out with using the TTS-1 and then moving on to other VST instruments. 

https://youtu.be/HdXWLq0PMDc

This one is for hooking up a midi controller but also important info on set up. 

https://youtu.be/qInIUuy8xiQ

Thanks. OK, I loaded an existing MIDI file and played it. It worked perfectly. I don't see the TTS-1 in the synth rack view, and I don't seem to be able to change any of the instruments. When I loaded an old Cakewalk WRK file I had from 14 years ago (the last time I played with any audio) I got no sound.

Next I'll plug in my little Oygen 25 MIDI keyboard and see what happens.

16 minutes ago, Gary Shannon said:

Thanks. OK, I loaded an existing MIDI file and played it. It worked perfectly. I don't see the TTS-1 in the synth rack view, and I don't seem to be able to change any of the instruments.

It is important there are no MIDI output devices enabled in preferences.

If MIDI output devices are enabled, TTS-1 will not be automatically added and setup when opening MIDI files.

If TTS-1 is not in the synth rack, then the MIDI file is likely playing through the MS GS Wavetable synth. Disable this and any other MID output device in preferences, then open a MIDI file.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I did resolve the problem eventually! The problem was that when was choosing the settings for my virtual instruments, I had selected 'MIDI Output' checkbox which is wrong. I unchecked it and I started to hear sounds when I play drums, bass etc.