Does DLL in CAL scripts work anymore?

John Speth

Question

Does anybody know how to get the DLL command in CAL working in Bandlab?  I keep getting a "CAL Error 018: Miscellaneous Error "MessageBeep"" error box when I run the MessageBeep example script.

I know that Bandlab clearly advertises that CAL is no longer supported but instead simply included in Bandlab due to customer requests.

My script:  (do (DLL "C:\Windows\System32\User32.dll" "MessageBeep"))

Thanks - JJS

Edited by John Speth

3 answers to this question

16 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

My guess is it's down to 32/64 bitness (and doesn't support 64 bit dll's).

Try - in your case - C:\Windows\SysWow64\user32.dll

I tried both 32 bit (C:\Windows\SysWow64\user32.dll) vs 64 bit (C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll) and get the same result for both.

My installed Cakewalk/Bandlab is 64 bits. Therefore I should use the 64 bit version at C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll, according to this Wikipedia article. It says "In 64-bit versions of Windows, the 64-bit implementation of Windows USER is called user32.dll and is located in the System32 directory, while a modified 32-bit version (also called user32.dll) is present in the SysWOW64 directory."

I agree it's a 32/64 bit issue. It's probably unmaintained and presently broken. I was looking for a some hope from somebody who actually has gotten it working.

Thanks - JJS