Where is the updated Theme Editor? SOLVED

gmp

I installed 2021.04 and it says Custom Theme incompatibility. The Theme I have is old and needs to be updated. I assume I need to download the new Theme Editor. I've searched all over and can't find it. Any clues on what I need to do

Thanks,

Edited by gmp

It is on the Install Add-Ons... menu in BandLab Assistant

S0FvdCU.png

While themes have occasionally required updating, the Cakewalk Theme Editor has not changed since the first release of CbB.

Starting with 2021.04 there is a check for out of date themes. 

• Like 1

I'd like anyone that reads this thread to know that I had a hard time having the theme editor saving the file. It doesn't seem to want to save it as the same name. I had to move the file from the folder and rename it "old" and then it saved it fine. The Theme editor apparently doesn't want to overwrite the old file in case we use an old version of CbB that's expecting the old file.

The theme must not be in use when trying to save.

When using the Edit button in preferences to open the current theme in the theme editor,  the edited theme will not save unless

• CbB is shut down
  • a different theme is selected in preferences or
  • the theme is saved as a different name.

For the time being, I reverted back to 2021.01.  As well as the theme not loading, I am having issues with the waves themselves looking different, too contrasty perhaps is a good description, and I really don't want to mess with this anymore right now. Question... if I open the theme in the editor, and manage to save it, will that fix the issue? Why in the name of God, did someone decide to mess with this?

Since CbB was released there have been several additions and changes to the images used by the DAW.

While additions may be ignored, when running a user theme changes to image size must be addressed.

In user themes, unmodified new images show up as they do in Mercury. While they may look odd; they function normally.

When an image is resized, the UI not only looks odd, the DAW does not work as documented. New images must be created to the new spec or the old custom images must be deleted in order for the UI and DAW to work as expected.

Since the introduction of themes in SONAR 2016.07 until CbB 2021.04, there was nothing to warn users about potential problems with an out of date theme.

The UI theme compatibility checker and  Waveform outlines  (possibly why "the waves themselves looking different") features are documented here http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.008.html

5 hours ago, scook said:

The theme must not be in use when trying to save.

When using the Edit button in preferences to open the current theme in the theme editor,  the edited theme will not save unless

• CbB is shut down
  • a different theme is selected in preferences or
  • the theme is saved as a different name.

Thanks that explains what I was seeing - makes sense

15 hours ago, scook said:

Since CbB was released there have been several additions and changes to the images used by the DAW.

While additions may be ignored, when running a user theme changes to image size must be addressed.

In user themes, unmodified new images show up as they do in Mercury. While they may look odd; they function normally.

When an image is resized, the UI not only looks odd, the DAW does not work as documented. New images must be created to the new spec or the old custom images must be deleted in order for the UI and DAW to work as expected.

Since the introduction of themes in SONAR 2016.07 until CbB 2021.04, there was nothing to warn users about potential problems with an out of date theme.

The UI theme compatibility checker and  Waveform outlines  (possibly why "the waves themselves looking different") features are documented here http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.008.html

Thanks for this information. I believe this is the waveform issue I was noticing... I'll try doing an edit/save later today and see if it helps with the errors and such...

I got the Waveform Outline issue resolved, thanks. As far as the theme issue, I opened the theme in the latest editor, applied a save as new name, attempted to select that theme, but still get the incompatibility error. I had thought that saving using the new editor would be what I needed to do, but apparently there's more that needs to happen? has anyone been able to get their current custom theme to work?

yes when you hit save, notice the date on the theme, it hasn't changed to today's date. I wish there was an error message. Once the theme is open in the theme editor, move the theme file to a different folder, then when you hit save as it will have today's date and be correct. It won't overwrite the old theme

44 minutes ago, gmp said:

yes when you hit save, notice the date on the theme, it hasn't changed to today's date. I wish there was an error message. Once the theme is open in the theme editor, move the theme file to a different folder, then when you hit save as it will have today's date and be correct. It won't overwrite the old theme

Thank You gmp... When I do this, I still get the error or warning that it's an old theme, but I tell it I want to use it and it loads, and all appears to be well. I tried this several times with the same result. Instead of switching folders, I simply renamed it, thus retaining the original, but I get the error every time. So far this has cost me several hours in time spent debugging the latest fix, and it still isn't right. I should probably just give in and use the default, but I rather liked what I had and hoped I could work around this easily... not so, for some reason. I downloaded and installed the latest Theme editor yesterday, Time stamps on both edited files are today. One thing I noticed is the original file is slightly larger that the edited versions 3872kb for the original, 3865kb for both edited files. Not sure if that is a problem... I open the file in the editor, and tell it to save as... it really shouldn't be this difficult.

Jackson Hawk

Hey Jackson, I ran into the same problem. I know it seems crazy but load the old theme in the new theme editor, choose save as and look at which folder it's being saved to, but don't save it yet. Mine is like this:

new theme editor and CbB use this folder for themes
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Themes - there's only 1 theme in there - logic GP 21.sth (this is my custom theme)

here are old Sonar themes - which have all the old themes, which need to be updated if you want to use them
C:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR Themes

Once you're sure of the folder, then open the old theme in Theme Editor and go to that folder and just move that old theme file temporarily to any folder , now choose save as and this time you'll notice it has today's date not something in 2017 Ike mine was. It's not updated until you have the current date. 

There really should be an error message pop up so others don't go through this. You can't just rename it old, like I did. That didn't work for me either, move it out of that folder.

You can do this, I'll help you. I wasted a lot of time to. I hope this post saves others all this frustration.

Really should review the changes noted in

Running a theme with images that are not the correct size messes with the ability to use the function associated with the image.

This is why it is important to either use a theme supplied with CbB, use a theme that is actively  maintained or learn how to use the theme editor to properly maintain a theme.

This part of the forum is dedicated for questions about the theme editor and current user themes.

12 hours ago, scook said:

Really should review the changes noted in

Running a theme with images that are not the correct size messes with the ability to use the function associated with the image.

This is why it is important to either use a theme supplied with CbB, use a theme that is actively  maintained or learn how to use the theme editor to properly maintain a theme.

This part of the forum is dedicated for questions about the theme editor and current user themes.

Seriously Scook? I am a musician, somewhat well versed in IT, software and computer hardware, but my primary goal here is making music. I try to keep up with it all, but not surprisingly, sometimes things get past me. I set this up in 2017, and really have not gone back to re-address it since. It's worked fine for 5 years now, until this latest change. I am not a programmer, nor do I wish to be, but it seems more and more I am expected to understand all the intricacies of all the varies packages I'm using. I do fine for the most part, but I think I've earned the right to throw up my arms on occasion. I mean no disrespect, and your knowledge of the software has been a godsend on numerous occasions, but not all of us have the time or inclination to dig real deep into Cakewalk, or any of the other 10-15 packages I use. I messed around with Themes 5 years ago long enough to get something to work that I liked, and honestly do not understand all the ramifications the recent changes have wrought. Be patient with those of us looking to record our songs. This change came out of left field for me, and I have spent hours struggling to find a fix. I have days where this frustrates the hell out of me...

Peace;

Jackson

13 hours ago, gmp said:

Hey Jackson, I ran into the same problem. I know it seems crazy but load the old theme in the new theme editor, choose save as and look at which folder it's being saved to, but don't save it yet. Mine is like this:

new theme editor and CbB use this folder for themes
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Themes - there's only 1 theme in there - logic GP 21.sth (this is my custom theme)

here are old Sonar themes - which have all the old themes, which need to be updated if you want to use them
C:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR Themes

Once you're sure of the folder, then open the old theme in Theme Editor and go to that folder and just move that old theme file temporarily to any folder , now choose save as and this time you'll notice it has today's date not something in 2017 Ike mine was. It's not updated until you have the current date. 

There really should be an error message pop up so others don't go through this. You can't just rename it old, like I did. That didn't work for me either, move it out of that folder.

You can do this, I'll help you. I wasted a lot of time to. I hope this post saves others all this frustration.

Wow...   that is the strangest behavior I have ever seen, but it worked sir, thanks so much for walking me through that process. I tried several renames that failed to work as expected, but this one did the trick and I am back in business. Many thanks for jumping in and sharing your results.

Best Regards;

Jackson

Actually, strike that. When I reconfigured to run from my desktop icon, it blew up again. When I loaded it previously, it appeared to open correctly, without the Theme error. Once I copied the files back to the Cakewalk Core folder, it shit again.  I'm done.

Hey Jackson, yes strange indeed. Like you, I spent a long time trying to figure this out and I hope this post saves others from the frustration we went through. I hope Cakewalk makes this easier in the future for long time users like us.

Once would think the renamed file would work, but no, you can't trick it into thinking this is a different file. It's weird, no doubt. Glad it worked, man.