Still using Sonar 8.5

Deano

Hey guys, believe it or not im still using this old software, and wondering about trying out bandlab......my only concern is installing it wont somehow prevent my old sonar 8 from working will it?

Also, is there any real reason to upgrade? I know its newer and more features but can somebody tell me apart from features, is it really worth it? Is it easier on resources? does it run smoother and more stable?

If you're running a 64-bit version of Windows, there is no reason not to install Cakewalk By Bandlab and give it a try!

I currently have SONAR 8.5, X2, and Platinum installed on my DAW alongside Cakewalk 2021.04.

Bonus - you'll get to keep all those nice third-party goodies if you keep SONAR 8.5 installed - Cakewalk By Bandlab will see them and make them available to you.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Great Idea 1

+1 to what Colin said.  I still have 8.5 installed because there is a few VST's I steal from it and it doesn't take up any room on my hard drive. I stayed with 8.5 right up until Sonar X3 e came out. I skipped the x Series more or less. I didn't like the change and there were a lot of complaints about bugs etc. Besides it cost a lot of money back then to stay on the upgrade path. I figured out the interface within a few sessions and never looked back. Now if I open 8.5 all I see is a zillion missing tools I use everyday. And one thing for sure is they have made huge improvements to stability and its near to bug free now. 

There's absolutely 1,000's of reason to install and give it a few weeks until your up to speed. 

All your projects will open and run exactly the same and you can leave 8.5 alone. 

• Like 1

I also have 8.5 Producer on my machine as well as CWB. There was no issues at all in either accessing old vst inst or effects. In fact I just no longer use 8.5 as CWB is light years ahead now. I never changed after 8.5 due to the bugs I kept hearing about. The fact that Gibson no longer allowed me to upgrade through my usual dealer etc.

I would strongly suggest you do the same. You won't regret it.

Hi everyone! This is fantastic news! I was so worried I would lose access to my old 8.5! but now hearing your experiences I have no reason not to try it out! I also skipped the X series as at the time I was happy with 8 and didnt like it but now its free, and modern I am intrigued to give it a go!

Thanks again for the help! :)

I have you beat. Still using SONAR Home Studio 6.
Reason? My DAW is an old 32-bit XP computer and has an interface already in it.
This 64-bit 4 GB Win 10 box would probably be under-powered for CbB, and I would have to get an interface. I do have Cakewalk installed on it just to look at things asked about here. Or to listen.