[Solved] Snapshot Automation Help

Syphus

Question

I was looking in the manual about Snapshot and how it is used.  The manual says the following:

To create a snapshot of a track or bus parameter

1.Move the parameter control to where you want it.

2.Move the Now Time to the location where you want to create the snapshot.

3.Right-click the control and choose Automation Snapshot in the pop-up menu. You don’t have to write-enable the track or bus module.An indicator will appear on the control to show that automation has been added, and a node will be added to the control's envelope on the track.

4.Make sure the appropriate Automation Read button is enabled, play your project and listen to the results. You can undo the snapshot by using the Undo command, or by taking another snapshot at the same Now Time.

So I go to a project,   Select an Audio track, move the volume fader to 0 then right-click on the fader an select "Automation Snapshot".  Now I have an automation envelope that is sitting at 0 at my selected "Now Time" for the entire select track (per the envelope).

Now I RTZ and set my fader to it's correct level and hit play.  The volume goes to zero immediately and stays there.      This is what happens when I follow the directions above from the manual.

In reality,  I have to set a "snapshot" at Now Time set to the start (bar 1:0:0) with my selected volume level set for the track average (lets say 0 dbs for now) , then move to my new Now Time where I want to have the volume drop to zero and snapshot it there also.  Now everything goes according to plan (sound until I hit second Now Time).

Am I missing something or are the directions making an assumption that I was not aware of?   Should the documentation explain this better or is it not working the way it is supposed to. 

Once I figured it out,  it seems to be the right way.   What do you think - am I doing something wrong per the instructions? Opinions please, or correct me if I'm wrong . . .

Thanks for your time.

Syphus

Edited by Syphus
Solved

3 answers to this question

I think that you have figured out how it works. On your first snapshot it will set the whole automation envelope to that first value since it is the only data that the track knows about. Then you need to take snapshots or add automation nodes in other places if you want the value to be different.  As for the documentation, it seems correct but was not clear enough for what you were expecting.

19 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I think that you have figured out how it works. On your first snapshot it will set the whole automation envelope to that first value since it is the only data that the track knows about. Then you need to take snapshots or add automation nodes in other places if you want the value to be different.  As for the documentation, it seems correct but was not clear enough for what you were expecting.

It is clear that my method is the "way" to do it.  I will search the documentation and see if there is a hint.   If I was a total newbie, I would be searching for help because the  instructions are somewhat misleading - at this point a minor irritation.

I just wanted to see if I missed something . . .   Hopefully, this will save someone a few minutes/hours of time by posting.  Thanks for your response.

Syphus

Note:  I sent a note to support about this issue and asked them to reword the entry for "Snapshot" so that it made it a bit clear that this works on an existing "Automation envelope"

For anyone looking to this thread for an answer here it is:

IF you what to use "Snapshot", be aware that this works on an "existing" envelope.  If you were not intending to automation on the entire track and just wanted to do say one or two measures of (for example volume), do this:

Go to the start of the track after you have established you level for the track and do a "Snapshot" at that point.

Set you "Now Time" to the point you want a change (for example - measure 10 [ 10:01:00 ])

Set your volume to what you want at this point with the track fader.

Do another "Snapshot" at this "Now Time" and all will be done.

Remember you can "Undo" all this if it does not fit your needs or work the way you envisioned it.

I am marking this as "Solved" and hopefully we will see some kind of update in the documentation.

Syphus