Assign a new VST Synth to a MIDI Track

Fabian Flaßkamp

Question

Hello everyone,

I am an absoluet beginner who has never mixed anything in his life. But I like to compose and I write small songs in GuitarPro and TuxGuitar. I recently decided that they all should have proper sound so I got myself some VSTs and Cakewalk.

My plan is to import MIDI files and assign new Instruments to the tracks (similar to what I would do in GP). But I am having some trouble. specifically when I open or import the file attached it opens as two MIDI Tracks and a TTS1 Track, I guess. I have imported all my VSTs successfully. For this one I want to assign this little melody a self-programmed patch from my Wavestation VST. This is my process:

I insert a new Soft Synth, choose my trusty Wavestation and I copy everything from the second MIDI track to the Wavestation's Track. and then delete everything but that track.

Now here comes the problem: When open the VST and try to change anything, it's all reset once I press play to listen to it. Even when I assign the TTS-1 as a Soft Synth. No mattter what I change it's all undone once I press play. I am extremely frustrated and I need your help.

Please keep in mind that I am an absolute bloody beginner with no music background.  Thank you in advance for your help, I assure you it is very appreciated!

snowstorm.mid

7 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, Fabian Flaßkamp said:

This is my process:

I insert a new Soft Synth, choose my trusty Wavestation and I copy everything from the second MIDI track to the Wavestation's Track. and then delete everything but that track.

Now here comes the problem: When open the VST and try to change anything, it's all reset once I press play to listen to it. Even when I assign the TTS-1 as a Soft Synth. No mattter what I change it's all undone once I press play. I am extremely frustrated and I need your help. 

QUICK UPDATE: I opened your file, loaded TTS-1, pointed track 2 to TTS-1, it played.

1st reply: I am not awake yet, my audio interface has not yet been booted, and only took a very brief look at the midi data.  Its a shot in the dark, but see if the attached tweak plays. 

image.png.71853f83a2f9b9bb6893adb4b751a195.png

Explanation for 1st reply (just some background):  Some software synths have been known to become silent when certain midi data is sent to them. Others have noted that "Pitch Bend Sensitivity" data does this with some synths.  That's why I suggested it initially.

However, when I tested your file with TTS-1, PB Sensitivity (which is in track 1) did not mute TTS-1.  I did try it with another soft synth (Dimension Pro) and sure enough, track 2 played, but when I pointed track 1 to Dim Pro, it became silent.  

Rather than delete the admittedly shot-in-the-dark reply, I figured you might run into this issue somewhere down the road based on the data in track 1 in this file.

snowstorm--PSSensitivity removed.mid

Edited by User 905133

Welcome to the forum.

I have found that some synths want the patch to be selected in the track pane, and others will play the patch chosen in the synth's patch browser. TTS-1 likes the patch in the track pane.

You can change the output of your MIDI track to your preferred synth; no need to drag the data.

And just so it’s clear to others who might read this thread. 
If you have issues with midi changing patches or volume or pa or effects.  Go to the event list and delete any data events that would cause this. 
You can unselect data you want to keep like notes so it’s easier to see the unwanted data 

Any bank or patch changes entered in the midi track pane will always override the soft synth GUI. You should set these to none. 

38 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Welcome to the forum.

I have found that some synths want the patch to be selected in the track pane, and others will play the patch chosen in the synth's patch browser. TTS-1 likes the patch in the track pane.

You can change the output of your MIDI track to your preferred synth; no need to drag the data.

Thank you for your reply. I know it now (also thanks to User 905133) but it does not solve the problem. I can even assign the correct patch and it still plays the wrong patch. I think there might be problems with the file itself. I have since rewritten it and exported it with different programs but I had no success.

17 hours ago, John Vere said:

In my signature is a link to my tutorials and I have a whole series on using midi files. 

Thank you. I have watched thru all aof your videos. If anyone is curious, here is a rundown to solve my particular Problem:

Create a new Master Audio Bus

Delete all Events that are not Notes

And then create a new synth and channel the Output to the desired MIDI Instrument

Sorry for the mayman terminology. Thank you all for your answers. I learned a lot since yesterday and I am incredibly grateful.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:07 AM, 57Gregy said:

Welcome to the forum.

I have experienced this same thing with some virtual instrument plugins working on the midi track and some needing a feeder track, as well as patches switching to other random patches on their own. If you find a synth sound you like, bounce it ASAP, save the adjustments as a preset and even screen shot the settings because there's no guarantee that they'll be the same when you reopen the project. It's the most convoluted experience of working with virtual instruments I've ever seen.  Experimenting with different synth plugins on one midi track is ridiculously cumbersome.