Toontrack EZBass May

cclarry

20 hours ago, locrian said:

Will these^ presets work with the 'standard' EZBass, or do we have to buy a fretless EBX?

I imagine the EXBass MIDI will "work" with any EZBass model but would most likely not be as useful/meaningful if not used with the proper model (i.e. fretless). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zo said:

Why fretless such a thing ? Serious question here ...

To get the sound and get close to perfect pitch as possible with as little effort.  

That's my best guess.

5 hours ago, Bapu said:

Superb , but still , can you actually make the diff between a fretless versus regular by ears ? All i hear is a great player !! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zo said:

Superb , but still , can you actually make the diff between a fretless versus regular by ears ? All i hear is a great player !! 

My question is doesn't some of the "magic" of fretless vanish when you sample it?  MODO Bass in theory may do fretless better than any sample based bass (because of the simulation).  Though perhaps with enough round robins it won't really matter that much.  Seems kind of like the violin sampling problem.  But bass lines tend to be the same note over and over and over a bit more.

1 hour ago, Zo said:

I think so.  The raised frets cause a slight but definite attack similar to a brass/woodwind player tonguing individual notes as opposed to slurring (no tongue [awaiting obvious innuendos] 😉 or a string player playing legato or more closely playing notes without changing bow direction.  Can you play a glissando (slide) on a fretted bass?  Sure.  But it is much more smooth and effortless on a fretless and likewise more pronounced when playing individual notes.  While a gifted player such as Pastorius can probably mimic a fretless with ease, a fretless bass would free one of having to try.  Not to mention tuning flexibility as has been alluded to. IMHO of course.

Edited by Fwrend

You guys are driving me nutz with all this ezbass this and ezbass that.  Only way to squash this is to join you hehe.  Any suggestions based on your experience with toontrack sales when to jump in?  I’m not seeing any sales for ezbass May.  Seems Bestservice and Timespace at $149 are current best deals.