Can You Isolate Clips on MP3 Tracks?

Cakewalk only works with wav files and MIDI. Cakewalk will automatically convert an MP3 to wav for it to use it.  Be sure you have not locked the track or tracks.  I can't think of a reason you can't split a clip except for a track being locked.

3 minutes ago, John said:

Cakewalk only works with wav files and MIDI. Cakewalk will automatically convert an MP3 to wav for it to use it.  Be sure you have not locked the track or tracks.  I can't think of a reason you can't split a clip except for a track being locked.

They aren't locked. A collaborator emailed the files to me as MP3's-the tracks were created in ProTools. I didn't have any trouble exporting them to Cakewalk and they play fine.

I sometimes have a problem splitting some audio clips using the scissor tool so I have to position the now time marker at the appropriate place and then right click on the clip and select the spilt clip option and then it works. No idea why it happens, not locked clips, but when it does this is how I get around it.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:08 AM, 57Gregy said:

I was able to import and split several MP3s in CbB. 

If CW automatically converts MP3's to wav at import, doesn't the edited and saved result remain as wav, unless you export it sa MP3? Meaning, CW does not edit MP3's, as it always converts them to wav?

1 hour ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

If CW automatically converts MP3's to wav at import, doesn't the edited and saved result remain as wav, unless you export it sa MP3? Meaning, CW does not edit MP3's, as it always converts them to wav?

Right it does stay as a wav file in Cakewalk. You would have to export it as an MP3 to change it back.

There may be an editor that directly edits MP3s but offhand I can't think of any.  Nor would I be interested in one. 

• Like 1

Make sure the clip has the focus. Shift click until the clip has the focus. Then s to split. You can also select clip to have the focus on the drop down on the track header on the left.

Edited by Gswitz

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:06 AM, synkrotron said:

I'm curious, why MP3 files? Poor internet connection?

The sender was concerned about audio degradation using .wav files as opposed to MP3. Obviously this wouldn't be an issue so I'll tell him to go ahead and send them as .wav next time and see if that makes a difference in my ability to use certain features.