Cakewalk by BandLab updated to version 2021.04

cclarry

Cakewalk has released Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) version 2021.04.

The 2021.04 release integrates BandLab library access directly within Cakewalk, introduces a new Tempo track and Tempo Inspector, PC2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier ProChannel module, automation enhancements, Arranger enhancements, lots of other enhancements and optimizations, and over 80 bug fixes that focus on stability and user reported issues.

2021.04 Highlights:

Integrated BandLab library access, with support for downloads and uploads and tracking revision state directly from within Cakewalk.

New envelope based Tempo track.

Tempo Inspector.

PC2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier ProChannel module.

Misc. enhancements:

Loop current arrangement indefinitely.

Plug-in menus have been greatly enhanced to make it easier and faster to find and select plug-ins.

Improved automation envelope UI.

Show values on automation envelopes.

Track Manager preset support.

Convert MIDI continuous controller (CC) events to/from automation envelopes.

Show optional waveform outlines in the Clips pane.

UI theme compatibility checker. Cakewalk checks to make sure the custom theme is compatible with the current version of Cakewalk.

Improved plug-in exception handling / crash reporting.

Optimizations:

High resolution plug-in automation improvements.

Accurate automation writing via MIDI remote control.

Windows 10 high DPI rendering option (experimental feature).

Run the BLA to update!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

I'm just starting to record music again after stopping for around 15 years. I was a Sonar user and it's actually been pretty easy to adapt to the current version of Cakewalk by Bandlab and it's great to see that they're actively supporting it. @cclarry -- and anyone else who's interested in responding -- how do you find it compares to Studio One (I remember when the previous Cakewalk owner announced they were stopping the business and I bought Studio One Pro 4 based on their offer in the previous Cakewalk forum, but I've never actually used it and consequently, never updated it)? As, like me, you play rock music, are there certain features in Studio One Pro you find worth the money?

Thanks! Otherwise, I hope all is well and, I appreciate having you back. Your absence was very much felt here. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Really Reaper is probably the most efficient DAW out but for some reason my brain is allergic to it.  Maybe I should take some Claritin and see if that helps me learn the program :D 

It is pretty amazing what they pack into such a small footprint, that's for sure

But what specifically are the features that makes Studio One Pro better? I'm just starting to use Cakewalk again after a long absence and I like it, but, of course, I'm interested in how the latest version of Studio One Pro compares, I mean, what does it do better that justifies the price difference?  

23 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I only have version 4 still but things like the chord track are really cool IMO.  They also have the arranger track before CbB etc...

If CbB is meeting your needs @PavlovsCat  be happy that you don't have to spend any $$ on Studio One Pro :D

Thanks, I just want to understand what the differences are and if people feel it's worth it, as now that I am starting to use Cakewalk, I can't help but be curious. I'll check into the features you were mentioning. One of the things I would like to be able to do more easily -- which may be easy to do in Cakewalk, I just haven't figured it out yet -- is to adjust the length of song sections or add song sections (e.g., add a bridge or a chorus, lengthen a verse or a chorus, etc). Just things that would make life easier when working on an original song. I tend to come up with a song from start to finish and then go back and make tweaks, and if I lay down say 12 multi-track parts on various instruments, it gets messy trying to say, lengthen a verse by 4 bars or insert a bridge after a chorus. So, I suppose workflow differences that addressed that area would be really valuable to me. One of the things that attracted me to Cakewalk is that it's easy to persuade fellow musician friends to collaborate in it, because they can download and install it free. 

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

Strange that you fell in-love with Death ;)      

Not that weird after the new CbB release! 😆 No, seriously, the last year until now there were too many dead bodies around me! 😢

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

Really Reaper is probably the most efficient DAW out but for some reason my brain is allergic to it.  Maybe I should take some Claritin and see if that helps me learn the program :D 

When the Gibson debacle had happened, I looked around on the DAW market like many others. Then I had the same feeling like you about Reaper, maybe I was too lazy to learn another way to work, 'cos it seemed to be really different (actually it is not so much as I thought). But I regret that I did not invest some learning effort earlier, instead of wasting my time with Cakewalk bugs! 😁

3 minutes ago, marled said:

Not that weird after the new CbB release! 😆 No, seriously, the last year until now there were too many dead bodies around me! 😢

When the Gibson debacle had happened, I looked around on the DAW market like many others. Then I had the same feeling like you about Reaper, maybe I was too lazy to learn another way to work, 'cos it seemed to be really different (actually it is not so much as I thought). But I regret that I did not invest some learning effort earlier, instead of wasting my time with Cakewalk bugs! 😁

You found a great DAW that works for you.   I only want to add that all DAW's (software) has Bugs! If there is a show-stopper for you in a DAW, go find another one that fits :D 

• Like 1

Okay, first, thanks, InstEd for mentioning the arranger from Studio One, it is what I was looking for. The big question I have, is does Cakewalk offer a feature similar to Studio One's Arranger that I'm not aware of? 

For anyone else following along, this is a video for an older version of Studio One (3), but it goes over the Arranger feature.