MIDI input routing bug and virtual synths

Ronny.G

@msmcleod I am very happy with the news!😃

Thanks to the entire development team for taking care of the bug.

For now, as you write, I will no longer use the track template function at all just to be sure 😉 so as to wait for the release of the fix and see if the problem is solved. I will report here.

Then I will start create again new templates, just to be sure to not mix for error those that have midi routing with the "normal" ones, starting from scratch.

Many thanks again for your and the entire development team, interest and work on fix this annoying bug

Edited by Ronny.G

@msmcleodGreat to see some fixes coming in on Midi input problems!

If you're looking at the code for this, can you take a look at the bugs I reported when virtual midi devices are being used:

• Inputs from virtual midi devices are being changed on project open after a new physical midi controller is connected to the PC (even though the new device is not even checked as an input / output in the midi preferences box)
  • 'Manage Presets' for Midi Inputs functionality has erratic behaviour

Midi Inputs - Please Help!

Edited by Matthew Carr

• 8 months later...

- I wait already for 25 years routing approach in Cakewalk to be solved (from 1997). I know, first problem is Windows. There is already a disturbing rule to loose and mix almost any type of Input in MIDI or VSTi Trascks. If you save a project, close the windows and reopen, the chance to find the saved routing ok are 90%. IF you will insert a Keyboard, there is 100% chances to find 50% of all your MIDI In routing damaged, mixed up or simple changed in IN= OMNI.  I still wait for Cakewalk a rock solid routing code, while this is in some aspects better then Cuabse, it became a nice and serious DAW.

- I spend on a particular complex project around 1h (or even more) to check each internal VSTi/MIDI routing: On each track I write down in the Description of each track. Sometime it is easy to read and understand what I've made and write there, sometimes is difficult to follow and check a nest of 100 internal track routing and interconnections. Now it became too time consuming all this cheeking and rerouting processes.

- Why I still work with Cakewalk? As an old musician, I know all major DAWs, and the price or money is not a criteria for me: Ableton, Acon Acoustica, Frutiy, Logic, Magix Samplitude, Sequoia, Reaper, Reason, Sibelius, Cubase, Studio One, Waveform Tracktion The reason is the nonlinear nondestructive MIDI approach. The only similar MIDI approach have Studio Oneand Waveform Tracktion, but they are young and will never invest in what cakewalk have, a huge MIDI experience, MIDI plugins for example.

- A few tricks which  help me to solve external MIDI IN Routing (but not to solve the internal routing dis-function) -it is a pity and a shame to try this kind of complicate workaround in 2022 in a legend DAW like Cakewalk !:

• disable all MIDI  IN and Out ports of Cakewalk
  • create via Loop MIDI as many virtual MIDI ports I needed (and some even more for reserve)
  • Install Bidule or PizMidi and connect VST/VSTi Cakewlk Track to the Hardware or virtual MIDI cable
  • any hardware MIDI External Devices will be manual connected to a Virtual MIDI port via the Connection Center app.

I wait for internal VSTi/MIDI Routing tricks from all of you till the Cakewalk team will completely rewrite the routing code.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by florinko
Added Content
  • Like 1

@florinko Unfortunately that's exactly how you write.

With time I learned to use some "tricks" to eliminate or minimize this problem. Some are helpful, others don't help that much. Unfortunately something is not working properly in saving inputs / outputs in the presence of VSTi routing. You never have the certainty that reopening the project or the track template, inputs have remained in place. Connecting and disconnecting the various external MIDI peripherals it's not the only cause of the problem that occurs even without touching anything, as well as Windows...
Some small improvements have been made recently (thanks again to the developers for this), but unfortunately we are not there yet. For those who need to make a routing between advanced VSTi (mine is like this...) it's still a pain.

As far as I'm concerned this VSTi routing is the CbB's real problem. It is a pity that we cannot solve the problem (or better say the problems) with it once and for all after so many years.

I tried several times to explain it. More and more you are also dependent on internal VSTi to make music and not only external gears and therefore the internal routing between these must work and it should be possible to recall the saves perfectly. It is not possible to waste time every time you reopen a project (and maybe you're in a hurry because you got an idea) because you are in the condition of having to correct and reconfigure what had already been saved properly previously.

I still do not give up hope (although due to this problem I am forced many times to use other DAW for large projects). I repeat, a lot of useful improvements have been made in the last two years (articulation maps, nested folders, automation envelopes, arranger,etc). And it was an extraordinary growth! It still remains this routing issue at the "heart" of the program though...

For me that's what CbB lacks (maybe even the chord track...) to be among the "big ones". Let's hope...

Edited by Ronny.G
  • Like 1