East West Opus

Thomas Roller

Anyone using East West Opus and Hollywood Orchestrator with Cakewalk.

I install Opus and add Orchestrator and as soon as I explore the possibilities it crashes.  I've been using East West libraries and the Play Engine for years with good results. So I think I set it up correctly but maybe not.  :)

Opus and Orchestrator are functioning correctly for me on i5 with 32gb and ssd drives.  2 days ago new updates appeared in EW Installation Center so update if you haven't.  And contact EW support, they have been using TeamViewer to help users with config issues.

Thanks Steve:

East West says they do not support or suggest using OPUS with Cakewalk.  I have Presonus studio one so I can use that.   Nice to know it's working for you.  All the other
Play instruments work fine in Cakewalk.  

I haven't watched any videos on OPUS but they way I attempted to use it with Cakewalk is this:     I install OPUS as a soft synth track and once inside OPUS I add the Orchestrator. I assume this is correct.   From this point no matter what I do Cakewalk crashes.  

I have an i7 with 32 gb but no SSD.  I assume the lack of SSD would be an issue with loading time but not the cause of the crashing. 

Thanks.

I have several forum buddies who are using Opus and Orchestrator with Cakewalk, really putting it thru the paces.

Turns out that Cakewalk can easily capture midi output from Orchestrator.  But folks with Logic Pro cannot, with no quick fix in sight there is a lot of groaning going on.

I just installed OPUS as well, and it crashed twice.    I think the problem is that it is installed on a SATA drive while my main operating system is on an SSD.  Just bought a new 2 TB ssd and will reinstall everything there to see if that makes a difference.  Will post back here when done.   I have 32 GB ram.  8Core processor 1 year old build.

I just licensed it two nights ago and had the same experience and everything is installed on and SSD drive.

Tried to run orchestrator and it crashed Cakewalk.

I then tried to create a simple template for just Violins, Violas, Celli and Base - 

When I added the basses cakewalk crashed.

I hope I haven't made  $200 dollar subscription mistake.

I also tried it on Cubase which is supported and had the same issue when I tried creating a piece with opus and only 6 tracks.   Crashed - 

Everything is on SSD drives and I have AMD FX 8 core with 32 Gigs of ram so there should not be an issue

On 4/29/2021 at 6:48 PM, Thomas Roller said:

Thanks Steve:

East West says they do not support or suggest using OPUS with Cakewalk.  I have Presonus studio one so I can use that.   Nice to know it's working for you.  All the other
Play instruments work fine in Cakewalk.  

@Thomas Roller Where did you get this information from EastWest?

On 5/8/2021 at 9:48 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Thomas Roller Where did you get this information from EastWest?

Hello Thomas,

Cakewalk / Sonar are not officially supported with the use of the latest Opus engine, the Orchestrator, and the Opus Edition libraries, thus we do not recommend using Opus in it, though Play 6 is supported in there. See here for a compatibility chart with sequencers/DAWs as a reference - http://media.soundsonline.com/manuals/EW-Hollywood-Orchestra-Opus-Edition-User-Manual-b.pdf#page=15

Let us know if you have any other questions or need any further assistance!

All the best,
Thomas P.
EW Technical Support

• Thanks 1

All I can say is Opus and Orchestrator and Cakewalk and Scaler together are functioning under heavy performances for me.  So I'm not concerned that Cakewalk hasn't been "blessed" by a written list somewhere.

Right after Opus release I had interactions with both Wolfgang Kundras and Michael Plubell re CCX subscription white noise issue.  Michael asked about how Opus was working in Cakewalk.  EW support has been very responsive.

Logic Pro users are dealing with a number of big Orchestrator issues so I'm glad I'm on Cakewalk.

Edited by Steve Harder
  • Like 1