2021.04 Feedback

On 5/25/2021 at 2:09 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Will Zégal Its very unlikely that the latest release caused any of these issues but have you tried rolling back to the prior release to verify?  A link to the rollback installer is always listed at the top of the new release thread. Very often issues are being attributed to the latest release when they are preexisting or externally caused issues so its important to roll back and verify if you have a reprodicble issue.

Is the problem reproducible every time or intermittent? Which version of Kontakt are you using?

Sorry for the late reply. Much work to do.

I use the up to date version Kontak (6.5.3)

I've done the rollback and the problems are gone, even if I sometimes still have some menus issues when a plugin is open on my secondary screen.

I have another problem with Kontakt (and often with Reaktor).

For instance, I try to use 8Dio Glass Marimba instrument.

Here is the state of the plugin when I open the project

_tmp.jpg.f9950e885a7aa3d05e4f280082e254e9.jpg

and each time I stop the playing

_tmp2.jpg.69f8f6e5f28b4643b39610220e81fd0c.jpg

there is nothing else than some notes on the MIDI track that is the default one created by the insertion of the instrument in the synth rack. No controller, no sysex or RPN nor anythin of that kind. And the project is almost empty with just another audio track with a audio clip imported on it.

I've tried this instrument in Maschine and do not encounter this problem.

I often problems like that. For instance, I often can't change the master volume in Kontakt. Everytime I hit "play", it returns to it's default -6dB state. (notice that it's not the case this time : only the filter state changes.

[Edit : I've found the cause : the filter is controlled by the modulation wheel. There's no modulation wheel information one the track no modulation line, but when I hit stop, the mod wheel in Kontakt returns to zero even if I have tuned it]

I encounter some similar problems in Reaktor : with many Reaktor instruments, hitting play make some changes in them. Often I can't tell which ones because there are not audible, but Reaktor adds the star to the name of my saved preset that indicate it has been changed.

Edited by Will Zégal

59 minutes ago, Will Zégal said:

I've done the rollback and the problems are gone, even if I sometimes still have some menus issues when a plugin is open on my secondary screen.

there is nothing else than some notes on the MIDI track that is the default one created by the insertion of the instrument in the synth rack. No controller, no sysex or RPN nor anythin of that kind. And the project is almost empty with just another audio track with a audio clip imported on it.

I often problems like that. For instance, I often can't change the master volume in Kontakt. Everytime I hit "play", it returns to it's default -6dB state. (notice that it's not the case this time : only the filter state changes.

[Edit : I've found the cause : the filter is controlled by the modulation wheel. There's no modulation wheel information one the track no modulation line, but when I hit stop, the mod wheel in Kontakt returns to zero even if I have tuned it]

I encounter some similar problems in Reaktor : with many Reaktor instruments, hitting play make some changes in them. Often I can't tell which ones because there are not audible, but Reaktor adds the star to the name of my saved preset that indicate it has been changed.

This looks very much like the Filter control is bound to the Modulation Wheel control (CC #0), and you have "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" checked within Preferences->Project->MIDI.

The default value for CC#0 is zero, so when the controllers are reset, this is set to zero.

4 hours ago, Will Zégal said:

VST2 plugins have no way to distinguish between reset CC data sent when playback is stopped. CbB resets certain CC’s on playback stop such as CC 0, CC 64. Generally you should not use such CC’s to control plugin parameters for this reason.

3 minutes ago, rescareguy said:

FET compressor in Pro Channel crashes Cakewalk

It is not a CbB 2021.04 issue.

It is a bug in the Softube code from April 2020.

There is no reason to cross-post in this thread

• Like 1

Hello

I asked in Q&A but I will ask this here too because I tried different things and seems like it's somehow related to 2021.04 update.

Yesterday I installed CbB 2021.01 on my laptop to check out what's going on (I had only the latest Platinum on my laptop until now and don't have this problem).

If  Non desctrutive MIDI editing is enabled the MIDI clip always stays intact, if Non desctrutive MIDI editing is disabled the MIDI clip always cut to the last note in the clip.

Then I updated CbB to the latest version 27.04.0.175 (2021-04).

When Non desctrutive MIDI editing is enabled, if I move a MIDI clip (drag with left mouse click) the length of the clip will be cut to the end of the last MIDI note. If I CTRL+C and CTRL+V or CTRL+left mouse click and drag to  duplicate, the lenght won't change.

When Non desctrutive MIDI editing is disabled (unchecked) the length of the clip will be cut to the end of the last MIDI note in all 3 cases.

It looks like, it has something to do with this update but i don't see anyone else to mention this problem. 

Edited by Ferenc Hegedus

15 minutes ago, Ferenc Hegedus said:

Hello

I asked in Q&A but I will ask this here too because I tried different things and seems like it's somehow related to 2021.04 update.

Yesterday I installed CbB 2021.01 on my laptop to check out what's going on (I had only the latest Platinum on my laptop until now and don't have this problem).

If  Non desctrutive MIDI editing is enabled the MIDI clip always stays intact, if Non desctrutive MIDI editing is disabled the MIDI clip always cut to the last note in the clip.

Then I updated CbB to the latest version 27.04.0.175 (2021-04).

When Non desctrutive MIDI editing is enabled, if I move a MIDI clip (drag with left mouse click) the length of the clip will be cut to the end of the last MIDI note. If I CTRL+C and CTRL+V or CTRL+left mouse click and drag to  duplicate, the lenght won't change.

When Non desctrutive MIDI editing is disabled (unchecked) the length of the clip will be cut to the end of the last MIDI note in all 3 cases.

It looks like, it has something to do with this update but i don't see anyone else to mention this problem. 

Confirmed this is a regression.

It's fixed for the next release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Milton Sica said:

@msmcleod @scook

Teleport Server(32 bits)

I have encountered some crashes when exporting the mix.

The application is in "not responding" status.

From the Task Manager I identify that there are only two applications running: Cakewalk and Teleport Server (32) bits.

I know that Teleport Server acts as a layer for 32 vst plugins.

In my preferences I changed the values as below.

image.png.6dc236b77675d5fd87f2a0bf405ecfdc.png

The question is: is there any way to optimize or avoid this lockdown of the mix export process?

Maybe the 32-bit plugin you're wrapping doesn't support fast bounce.

You could try doing a real-time bounce.

The only other thing is to try JBridge instead - it may cope with it better.  BitBridge (Teleport Server) is a very simple wrapper, whereas JBridge has far more options to tweak that may get around this issue... however, if it is just that the plugin doesn't support fast bounce, it probably won't help.

Which 32 bit plugin are you using?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

In one of the projects I use some 32 vst plugins.

How to install and run JBrige on Cakewalk ?

You just run the setup forJBridge.  Cakewalk has in built JBridge support, so don't run a scan within JBridger application.

In Cakewalk, set this property in the plugins properties. I normally do this from the Plugin Manager:

image.png.e2f72cdfb07b12427e75c37f545c0d92.png

• Great Idea 3

6 hours ago, Vyacheslav said:

Sorry, I didn't know that jBridge integrates into Cakewalk by BandLab!

once you go JBridge you'll never look back 🙂 

(because its much better than the bitbridge, and if you need a bridge for your plugins, get the best one)

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Confused 1

@Milton Sica  / @Vyacheslav  - FYI... one of the main reasons for using the inbuilt Cakewalk JBridge integration, and not using JBridger to create a wrapper, is that Cakewalk will retain the original plugin id, whereas when using a JBridger wrapper it will be seen as a different plugin.

So basically, if you use Cakewalk's JBridge support, then loading previous projects with wrapped 32 bit plugins will simply work.

If you use a wrapper created by the JBridger scanner, then it won't be picked up by your previous projects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Milton Sica said:

very good, but should i install JBridger?

For me the plugin properties appear with the box to load the jBridge package without being able to check it.

image.png.4602fe1f018091e3d6e575e451c85168.png

Yes install it, but don't do a scan / create wrappers within jbridger. 

Cakewalk will pick up the JBridger libraries once its installed, and the option will then become available in Cakewalk's plugin properties.

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Great. Two questions:

1) Do you have any suggestions for downloading the most updated version of JBridger?
2) Is there anything in the Cakewalk documentation that references this improved handling of VST 32 ?

1 - https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

2 - "Different" not improved - I've got a few 32 bit plugins that do not behave in jBridge at all (lock up their GUI and then Cakewalk almost immediately), which are solid in BitBridge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Thanks a lot for the help. I still have several doubts about the topic. 1) Should I brand Jbridge use for all plugins? 2) How to identify which plugins could be optimized with jBridge?

1.  No - just non Cakewalk 32 bit plugins.
2.  If it's a 32 bit Cakewalk plugin, use BitBridge  otherwise use JBridge for other 32 bit plugins.  The only other plugins that benefit from JBridge are the UJAM virtual guitarist plugins ( yes, I know they're 64 bit, but they work much better in Cakewalk via JBridge ).

• Like 3

Hi.  Just to make a suggestion.  Perhaps undoing some change in piano roll view doesn't eliminate the selection of notes I had made.  It's kind of bothersome to select meticulously many notes in the piano roll view, edit them in someway, undo the change, and then have all my preciously selected notes go away.  Pleaseeee.  It would make a world of difference for some of us.  Thank you for the updates by the way.  Really cool.  I haven't noticed anything strange. Just stuttered playback in projects with many plugins which I didn't experience before.  But I just updated windows too, so it may be on that side.  Perhaps some drivers issues.