2021.04 Feedback

I'm using the latest build 175. Since 2021.04 the Tempo change box defaults have changed. I prefer the previous way it's been done for decades. First go to any bar from bar 2 on up and hit stop. Go to Project  - insert tempo change. Hit the mouse on "click here to tap tempo". I do that then quickly start tapping the spacebar which is far more accurate. 

In the past the default selection was "Change the most recent tempo". Now the selection is "Insert a new tempo". If I leave the default like I used to and  I hit Ok and go back to bar 1. The new tempo won't kick in until I get to the bar I was at when I did the tempo change.

Most of the time when I need to change the tempo it's because I'm trying to match the tempo of a prerecorded rough demo track that I imported into CbB. Many times I go to near the middle of the track, since if the writer was playing with no click track they may speed up. 

So I listen there and then bring up the tempo change box and change the tempo. Since I'm not at bar 1 the tempo change is inserted at whatever bar I'm at. Whereas in the past I didn't have to change the selection to "Change the most recent tempo", I just hit ok.

Are there any others out there like me that prefer the old default in this box? I don't change tempos every day otherwise I'd remember this change. I hope we can return to the old default selection. I've been using Cakewalk since 1992 and it's always been like this even back then - why change?

• Like 1

There was a bug in the tempo track that included a crash.
*Cakewalk 2021.04 Update 1 (build 27.04.0.175)

It was deleted when "Change the Most Recent Tempo." was set to the same value as the tempo immediately after.

bug2.gif.d1c81703cdbc4d013719a99745cbc943.gif

If there is an envelope setting, "Insert a New Tempo" will be executed instead of "Change the Most Recent Tempo.".
* In this case, it is linear.

bug1.gif.2a04841c214633a63ac324584ea88310.gif

If the two situations overlap, double registration will result and the tempo will be out of order.
Bug3.gif.287a3ec45d5e71a74e57e5d38c4135bd.gif

If the same tempo continues, the "Change the Most Recent Tempo." is not selected and the "farthest tempo" is changed.
bug4.gif.00d1e586883b2b28e9c70e04f902cf60.gif

First, move the "default tempo (1:01: 000)" and it will be duplicated.
I was able to change it by continuously editing the "default tempo".
Erases tempos other than "default tempo".
It crashed when I edited the tempo before the "default tempo".
CrashBug.gif.8256024ef93e68836f14017033603079.gif

Edited by Toy

I am still at the early stages of exploring how the new Browse Bandlab (Load and Import) and Publish to Bandlab features might fit into my musical goals. (I have been looking forward to them since I saw early versions in The Reference Guide as forthcoming features.)

In another thread related to using Bandlab resources in Cakewalk specifically on the issue of resource having a timing issue in Cakewalk, Noel Borthwick wrote:

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I think it has to do with conversion from M4A when importing . . . .

I seem to have verified that the Bandlab resources do indeed have gaps at the beginning. However, a personal *.wav loop I tested previously doesn't have a gap. For some reason though, when I published a new test project (consisting of just tracks 1 and 2 below) and imported the project, my *.wav was changed. (See below.)

I am interested in what might have happened (user error? bug?) because I very much want to develop a collaborative workflow using the new features.      UPDATE:  Solved  🙂  User inexperience with the Mix feature. 😞   (See immediately below.) 

image.thumb.png.882567fe3be1e7aa5ef64903b828428b.png

Edited by User 905133
(2) to mark is specific post solved; (1) replaced and reduced image

3 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

In this version I started to verify that in some projects after exporting some synthesizers are silenced in the MIX.

THANKS!!!!!  I reset the Mix using Mix Recall:

image.png.a6be79a60d6032f7f1583141d16d37c2.png

I never intentionally use different mix settings, but evidently one time I tested it.

@User 905133 are you sure that you don't have the gaps in your original project on Bandlab? The gaps applied only to MP3/M4a files. Wave files wouldnt have this problem. We already fixed issues related to MP3 files last year.

Regarding track 4 is it possible that you uploaded with the track hard panned? Does it sound stereo in the bandlab project?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carlos Iglesias said:

Akai Mpc beats keeps crashing  version after version and I don't know if it's a Cakewalk or Akai problem it's really frustrating.

MPC beats has a problem that we reported to AKAI months ago. You can forward the crash dump and we can verify if its the same issue.

19 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@User 905133 are you sure that you don't have the gaps in your original project on Bandlab? The gaps applied only to MP3/M4a files. Wave files wouldnt have this problem. We already fixed issues related to MP3 files last year.

Regarding track 4 is it possible that you uploaded with the track hard panned? Does it sound stereo in the bandlab project?

Good points; thanks. I will try to double check the gap in the track 1/track 3 Bandlab resource  from the 2020 test and give the Bandlab version of track 4 a listen. 

UPDATE: image.png.a8df0b3d768ab6fd59901eea02f1f7db.png

Edited by User 905133
to add an update re: track 4 in the first post I did

5 hours ago, Toy said:

There was a bug in the tempo track that included a crash.
*Cakewalk 2021.04 Update 1 (build 27.04.0.175)

It was deleted when "Change the Most Recent Tempo." was set to the same value as the tempo immediately after.

Hey Toy, I'm unsure from your post if this Tempo crash bug and quirky behavior you outlined was fixed in build 175 or is it still being worked on. I haven't been having any crashes with the tiny amount o tempo change work I do. I very rarely ever have more than 1 tempo in a song and never have a series of tempo changes like a ritard. 

The only problem, which is more of an inconvenience is that the default setting has changed in the tempo box and I have to retrain myself to remember that. It sounds like the whole Tempo box and Tempo view were broken and got buggy. I hope they fix the default behavior too, if they're still working on it. Let me know if the problem you wee having is fixed and if this is all again working the way it was for you.

9 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We had early access on for over two weeks and non of this was reported. It will now be addressed in the next release.

Who's post are you referring to?

1 hour ago, gmp said:

Hey Toy, I'm unsure from your post if this Tempo crash bug and quirky behavior you outlined was fixed in build 175 or is it still being worked on.

This has been confirmed multiple times in build 175 that it definitely occurs on two Japanese PCs. The video is the reproduction procedure.
 After confirming that "Change the Most Recent Tempo." Was not initially selected, it was very inconvenient, and then an operation test was performed. As a result, it was found that the operation was very strange.

Hi Everyone, I just upgraded to this new version of Cakewalk. Everything seems to be just fine except one cosmetic issue that I am having. In the inspector pane under the timeline, the separator seems significantly thicker than the previous versions. I am not sure whether this is a theme issue, it shouldn't be since I am using the default Tungsten theme and the issue persists with the Mercury theme as well. 

I know it seems like a rather minor nuisance, but that bit of real estate is definitely more useful for displaying tracks rather than a separator since I am on a 1366x768 resolution laptop.

Please see attached image.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

Just now, scook said:

It's a little thicker because of the new tempo envelope.

But If I'm not using the tempo envelope, it shouldn't be thicker, makes no sense for it to be thicker. I have seen screenshots in this same thread of people using this new version with the separator being the same thickness as before.

• Like 1

Hi there, today I installed 2021.04 Update 1.

I'm facing a problem with deleting tracks from the console view. I'm not sure if this is caused by the update or if I just didn't run into this problem so far.

Situation: the project consists of many VSTis with separate MIDI and audio tracks. I set up the track view to show only the MIDI tracks and the console view to show only the audio tracks.
I want to delete an empty audio track (not used by any VSTi). I select it in the console view, open the context menu and select to delete the track.

Problem: The audio track does not get deleted but the selection changes to the next track.
The selection change lead me to the impression that some other track may have been deleted (I asked myself if I really selected the correct track for deletion or if I unintentionally deleted a different track). As far as I can see, this didn't happen. Just nothing was deleted.

After including the audio track in the track view, delete was successful when invoked from the track view.

Hi, I'm running 2021.04 update 1 and it happens that audio engine stops after having some clip editing and convert to clip to join some audio clips.

It's then impossible to start audio engine, unless project is closed. I'll have to go back to previous version ...

----
Sorry, after reinstall of 2021.01 same bug happens, this looks to not be a specific 2021.04 issue...
-----
This is a dropout issue, as indicated by the "dropout" label in the audio-engine panel.
I tried to increase buffers size and filesystem buffers but that doesn't help. Once the audio engine is stuck, there is no way to restart it without closing the project.
Very frustrating....

Cheers,

Edited by Marc Bleuwart
update after go back to 2021.01