Plugin Numeric Keypad Parameter Entries Redirected [Solved]

Bill Phillips

Question

I believe that I was using the numeric keypad to make an entry into a free Eventide ULTRACHANNEL EQ Frequency which was not accepting them. I tried switching to the number row at the top of the keyboard which made a screenset change to Track View which showed that a gap the size of the loop I was playing had opened in all tracks as if I'd deleted the looped section of all tracks. I looked at the change history and saw about a dozen nudge commnads which didn't seem like it could have deleted a number of measures sense the nudges were all in frames and milliseconds. I was able to revert to an earlier auto-saved version to recover but I don't see how this could have happened. And it's happened before under different circumstances.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or can anyone suggest what might have happened? Keep in mind I was not even looking at track view.

Unfortunately I was so worried about recovering that I didn't take any screenshots.

Edited by Bill Phillips

4 answers to this question

I just test both VST2 and VST3 version 3.7.4  of UltraChannel in CbB 2021.04 EA2.

Numeric input using the typewriter and numpad both worked OK in EQ values without enabling capture all keystrokes (the keyboard on the right above the plug-in UI).

If you have not updated UltraChannel in a while give the latest version a try.

The current version (3.7.4) was released in March 2021.

One way to get the version number of the plug-in is right-click Eventide at the bottom left of the plug-in UI copy and paste the support info into notepad and look for PluginVersion in the text. 

Eventide downloads are here https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads

• Thanks 1

Global shortcuts work regardless of the active view.

Most of the number keys have global bindings.

The account in the OP is one reason, I am not a fan of single key shortcuts. That said, AFAIK they have been used in every product Twelve Tone Systems and Cakewalk made. They are part of CbB too.

I am not a console view user.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. The version upgrade did it for me. I had version 2.5 I think.

What concerns me most is what was going on in Track View even though it was not visible. Is that expected behavior? To me it's scary and totally unexpected. I found it by playing the loop while looking at Console view and hearing nothing.

I used D to go to Track View and found the portions of all tracks in the looped portion missing. I checked Undo History and only found a few Nudges. However, since I was making plugin changes I may have saved during that process possibly removing the clip cut operations it that's what happened. I've had similar things happen before. The problem is I'm not aware I'm editing clips which makes it hard for me to determine how it happened.

I just reviewed the project audio folder. There are no apparent changes to the clips in size and length, though all show that they were created today at 11:41 AM which could be the result of reverting to an earlier auto-saved version.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, scook said:

Global shortcuts work regardless of the active view.

Most of the number keys have global bindings.

The account in the OP is one reason, I am not a fan of single key shortcuts. That said, AFAIK they have been used in every product Twelve Tone Systems and Cakewalk made. They are part of CbB too.

I am not a console view user.

Thanks for the insights. I reviewed documentation on key bindings. Most keys have single key shortcuts though many of those are view specific. The smart tool related single key shortcuts are particularly ominous, though I'm sure very helpful when doing a lot of editing. I'm currently waiting for prices to drop to get a 38" curved monitor and hope to keep a small track view display always visible so that I can see any accidental editing I do.