The Mystery in the Cakewalk Theme Editor - Colin NicHolmes (SOLVED)

murat k.

I mentioned this issue in the Early Access topic before but I guess Feedback Loop is the right place for this.

Cakewalk Theme editor's assignments has a problem in the PlugIn Types section. When I open Theme Editor with the original Tungsten Theme, it shows PlugIn Types like this in the Theme Editor:

image.thumb.png.87191cead03a426b00b01de854d1877b.png

Icons are all greyed out. But they seem all colored in the Cakewalk

image.png.1f5a9c0d6d15aaf9067b5cc434968e63.png

I remember the original Tungsten Theme was not showing like that before. We could see all the PlugIn Type colors on the theme without removing action. I guess from this strange behaviour of the original Tungsten Theme that developers were aware of this issue and tried to fix it but gave up for some reason.

I use all PlugIn Type icons greyed out like in the image and I want to see that way. I am about to renew all my custom themes for the new Cakewalk release but this way I can't make it completely. 

Edited by murat k.

I was curious about this. I don't design entire themes, just elements as I need them, so I wanted to try to match the view that you use.  In the image you posted, the elements are there, but you can't see them well because they are dark grey on a black editor background (Dark  setting in the editor).  They are more visible if you use the Light setting.

Are you saying the issue is with the color of the icons Cakewalk uses in the Tungsten Theme?  (I don't generally use it, because I have trouble with the preponderance of greys and black, black on greys, etc.).

Or are you saying the image elements used with the Dark setting within the Editor are not the ones actually used in Cakewalk? 

image.png.4f04cd0b1aa8c32d45a62220e278f49b.png

Edited by User 905133
to delete a misplaced word

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Are you saying the issue is with the color of the icons Cakewalk uses in the Tungsten Theme?

The issue is about changing PlugIn Type Icons from the Cakewalk Theme Editor. Unfortunately it hasn't been working for about a year.

2 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

See Plug-in Browser, I don't believe the behavior has changed (outside of the changes to the insert menus in 2021.04)

The document is great @Colin Nicholls.

But the issue is about the Cakewalk Theme Editor itself. It was working without problem a year ago. I mean, I was able to change the Plugin Type Icons. Also one year old themes were working without problem in the Cakewalk too. Now we have to renew our themes, because old themes are not supported anymore.

30 minutes ago, murat k. said:

But the issue is about the Cakewalk Theme Editor itself. It was working without problem a year ago. I mean, I was able to change the Plugin Type Icons. Also one year old themes were working without problem in the Cakewalk too. Now we have to renew our themes, because old themes are not supported anymore.

The Theme Editor hasn't changed. It is still 1.2.0.14. And I can still edit the Browser/Plug-in Browser/PlugIn Types/* images, and save them in themes, it's just that they are not used by the Cakewalk application, not since a long time back - before I was creating themes.

In my document, I've marked them "Not yet identified" since the beginning.

The only way I know of changing plug-in icons is to alter the Plug-in Browser / Plug-in Tree Icons strip.

As for the theme compatibility warning, that's not a bug, it's a new feature. Old themes have always worked (for the most part) in new releases, and this is still true.

• Thanks 1

So far my theme personal tweaks have not gotten into tweaking the strips, but now that I know what's up with them, maybe I might look into it. So thanks to @murat k. for raising the issue and to @Colin Nicholls for providing the explanation.

Let me see if I understand it.  I booted the editor and selected Tungsten as the base for a potential new theme.  Correct me if I am wrong: the Original Plug-in Tree Icons [strip] is the base editor strip and the one above it (Theme) is the strip as it is in Tungsten.   

image.png.ebe971fb6c3f76c1f7ab1a6fff50cb38.png

Edited by User 905133

Yes, in all cases, the bottom image or color is from CbB resource files TTSImage.dll or TTSRES.dll, A.K.A. the Mercury theme.

The top image or color, if it exists, is read from the theme being edited.

Theme files store only the changes to Mercury.

AFAIK, the only differences between Tungsten and user themes are its location and file extension.

• Thanks 1