Is Skylight interface getting obsolete?

MarianoGF

Considering that you can customize how it looks and how you use it, I don't see that there is an issue here. The default interface works well for some folks. For others, just arrange things the way you like, and you're good to go.

• Like 1

As someone previously mentioned, nothing is perfect, but I like the GUI on CbB best, and I've tried a few. I hope they never change the overall look and feel of it too much. If they want to change the technology behind it someday to make it resize more easily, that's fine.

I don't think the Theme Editor is all that hard to work with, once you've spent some time with it. I'm glad we have it, I've made a custom theme for myself that I really enjoy.

Edited by ptheisen
typo

On 4/7/2019 at 12:45 PM, panup said:

> Please go back to the SONAR name

Funny.. I like Cakewalk much more. IMO SONAR is is not a beautiful word.
And maybe Bandlab may not use SONAR name. Many other goodies were left behind, like tonsof old plug-ins.  Cakewalk is as well known trademark as SONAR if not even more.

I've been using Cakewalk for so many years - started on Cakewalk 3 by Twelve Tone Systems - that I even referred to "Sonar" as Cakewalk.  So, since it is now called "Cakewalk" again I don't look like I'm an antique to the younger users when I call it Cakewalk.  😁

Edited by Oscar Myer
  • Like 1

I like the Skylight interface, but at the same time I think it might certainly be possible to streamline it a little, make it a little more space efficient.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:31 AM, Craig Anderton said:

The trend to dark interfaces is mainly because of so many people using smartphones. Black pixels draw virtually no current with AMOLED displays, so it extends battery life (this isn't about brightness, which is the case with LCDs; it applies only if the pixel is true black).

I would say that the switch to dark interfaces for creative software on the desktop was caused by – at least it correlates well with – the proliferation of bigger and bigger LCD/LED screens.

I myself loathed dark interfaces and couldn't understand why people liked them... until I got to work with big flat-screens. Now, where did I put those shades...? 😎

11 minutes ago, Deckard said:

I like the Skylight interface, but at the same time I think it might certainly be possible to streamline it a little, make it a little more space efficient.

When I "donated" my second monitor to my daughter, I thought it was a good time to get used to using just the one HD monitor. The idea being, that if I swapped to using my laptop, I wouldn't feel restricted in any way in my workflow.

The key thing for me is to have a screen-set for each operation. It varies from project to project, but the basic idea is:

Screen-set 1: Everything on it, but browser & track inspector minimised
Screen-set 2: Console view full screen; no browser, track inspector minimised
Screen-set 3: Track view full screen; browser & track inspector minimised
Screen-set 4: PRV full screen

Switching to a screen set for the function I want, means nothing is ever cluttered, and my workflow is sped up.

I guess lenses go a stage further, but I've never felt a need for them myself - quite the opposite - when I open the control bar I like it to be exactly the same each time.

• Great Idea 2

I feel that Skylight already got an "update" and that was Tungsten. That was the move to a modern, flat, dark interface. It took a little getting used to but I decided I liked it better than Mercury and that's what I use now. Please don't change anything, it's perfect.

Sometimes in the past Cakewalk went backwards with their interfaces -- for example, going from Sonar 3's beautiful blue scheme to Sonar 4 and 5's gray was int he wrong direction; thankfully, the colors could be fixed easily. But then Sonar 6-8 was so horribly ugly I boycotted upgrading until Cakewalk gave me a special deal for 8.5 ahead of the X1 release, which was when Cakewalk finally got it right again.

The Cakewalk user interface is practical, good looking and customizable. The flexibility of the Control Bar is best in class. The docking interface can be easily adapted to different workflows through screen sets and lenses. And those who don’t like the look of things can always use some customized theme or make their own tweaks using the Theme Editor.

Changing this GUI would be suicide. Also, given the limited number of development resources I can’t really see that happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shayne White said:

Sometimes in the past Cakewalk went backwards with their interfaces -- for example, going from Sonar 3's beautiful blue scheme to Sonar 4 and 5's gray was int he wrong direction; thankfully, the colors could be fixed easily. But then Sonar 6-8 was so horribly ugly I boycotted upgrading until Cakewalk gave me a special deal for 8.5 ahead of the X1 release, which was when Cakewalk finally got it right again.

I feel exactly the oposite as you. But that is a great thing into the world of Cakewalk users. I like Mercury, not so much Tungsteen. I disliked at all SONAR 3 blue interface. I loved SONAR 1, 2, 4 and 6. I agree in that Skylight is a good interface for everybody like you and me who liked different UIs in the past. Good job so.