Clavinova recording from aux out - muted by cakewalk?

Dan Fines

Question

Hi folks

Trying to record audio direct from aux out of my Clavinova CLP 575

Connecting via Focusrite Scarlett 8i18

All fine with setup until launching Cakewalk - sound from Clavinova then seems to be muted. Bizarrely even if you disconnect the cables from the instrument it remains muted until you turn off and on. Have tried via headphone output instead of aux out with same effect. Any ideas?

Dan

4 answers to this question

Sounds like Cakewalk is sending MIDI Master Volume (CC7) , lowering the output level from the Clavinova that resets when you power cycle it. By default, the Volume control in a MIDI track will be disabled as indicated by parens around the default value of (101). Moving the volume widget will immediately enable it and the new value will be sent every time the project is launched, and every time playback is started. I usually set Volumes to 127 on all MIDI tracks driving external hardware to start, and only lower it if the resulting input level is clipping.

Edited by David Baay
Clarification

Dan, when you say "muted" do you mean somewhat quieter or completely silent? If the sound is off entirely, then Cakewalk is probably sending a MIDI Local Off message to your Clavinova when it boots up. This message tells the Clavinova not to respond when its keys are played. If that's the case, you can set Cakewalk not to send this message.

Thanks all - does appear to be a local off message. As the clavinova was being used on this track for straight audio recording I finished up just disconnecting the midi in cable from it which sorted the problem. Cheating probably.....