Just had a HDD failure but swaping SATA cabels saved it

Øyvind Skald

Had this exact same experience with my youngest son`s gaming computer. It had an SSD drive for the OS,  and it just up and stopped working six weeks after we installed it. I was thinking I`d need to RMA the drive, but after testing it on a partly disassembled test rig I keep in my basement (for just these sort of occasions), I discovered the drive still worked perfectly. Swapped out the SATA cable on my son`s computer, and we were back in business.  The drive has been running just fine for over a year now.  SATA cables seem to be a bit fragile or failure prone, maybe...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

SATA cables seem to be a bit fragile or failure prone, maybe...

Hey, I know people like that! 😆

But, more on topic, it's always a good thing to narrow down what, exactly, is the part that's failing.  In a few decades of doing IT, I've seen it all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BassDaddy said:

I have always wondered what kind of quality you get for $2.25 sata cables. I would be willing to pay a lot more if the quality was a lot higher. Thanks for sharing that. I think I might pick up a few for spares.

Yep, like some gold plated "Monster" cables! :P

I think these would get the job done:

Cable Matters 3-Pack 90 Degree Right Angle SATA III 6.0 Gbps SATA Cable (SATA 3 Cable) Black - 18 Inches $7.99

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3-Pack-Degree-Right/dp/B018Y2LEBE

• Like 1