Reference Guide PDF now available [Updated 4-Jan-2022]

"Failed to open help" is caused by the registry setting to use local help still being read from the registry and CbB not having a SONAR.chm in the program folder. This never worked with the pdf. The old value causing the error was introduced when settings were copied from a prior SONAR installation. The local help feature is no longer supported.

The error may be remedied by setting UseOnlyOfflineHelp to 0 in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core. This restores CbB to using the web-based help.

One could copy an old SONAR.chm into the program folder but the  local help system is not maintained so while suppressing the error the help may not be useful.

Any pdf may be added to the Utility menu. Using the ToolsEditor that I wrote (see this thread for more info) set the Type to Generic and add the fully qualified name of the pdf in Exe Path.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 3:20 PM, scook said:

"Failed to open help" is caused by the registry setting to use local help still being read from the registry and CbB not having a SONAR.chm in the program folder. This never worked with the pdf. The old value causing the error was introduced when settings were copied from a prior SONAR installation. The local help feature is no longer supported.

The error may be remedied by setting UseOnlyOfflineHelp to 0 in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core. This restores CbB to using the web-based help.

One could copy an old SONAR.chm into the program folder but the  local help system is not maintained so while suppressing the error the help may not be useful.

Any pdf may be added to the Utility menu. Using the ToolsEditor that I wrote (see this thread for more info) set the Type to Generic and add the fully qualified name of the pdf in Exe Path.

It's a pity that CHM help was dropped, means daw have to be online - which it isn't.

Is the last chm available to download at least - and we can enter registry stuff ourselves?

Anyway, manual is really, really good.

And to get the most use of it I could tip on using PDF Xchange Editor instead of Adobe Reader.

You can make own bookmarks(remeber to save), since that part is empty in pdf manual - and it always retains last place you were in a document next time you open it. Better search as well. Highly configurable beyond anything I saw, everything in gui as you wish.

https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

I use the free version, still can save bookmarks.

21 minutes ago, LarsF said:

Is the last chm available to download at least

No, it was part of SONAR a product BandLab did not purchase. BandLab purchased the IP not the products from Gibson.

Currently the best way to integrate the Reference Guide PDF is add it to the Tools section of the Utility menu. If one needs more help doing this please post in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don’t know who needs to know.  
On page 704 regarding the Event View it says select Print Preview but the Print options are greyed out.

However pressing <cntrl> < p> brings up the print box.  

Actually I just wanted a version CSV or whatever to read whilst working on the file.  I was able to get it to print to PDF which is even better for my needs.

thanks Tony

54 minutes ago, reevant said:

Don’t know who needs to know.  
On page 704 regarding the Event View it says select Print Preview but the Print options are greyed out.

However pressing <cntrl> < p> brings up the print box.  

Actually I just wanted a version CSV or whatever to read whilst working on the file.  I was able to get it to print to PDF which is even better for my needs.

thanks Tony

Interesting. I saw this, and tested it because I was curious.  I found the same results as you did. I was able to get a CSV by cutting and pasting the data from a print-to-pdf document into notepad and then opening that into an Open Office Spreadsheet. 

Edited by User 905133

Ok there is a correct method I found in the olde Sonar X2 book by Scott R Garrigus.   It seems you undock the Event List then you click in the Top Left Corner and tell the window not to float.  That then opens up the print options.  Although the <cntrl><p> in the screen did the trick.  

Either way the current doco needs fixing

Tony

• Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be really great if this essential tool were made available via BandLab Assistant via the "Install Add-Ons" menu.

After all, BA allows the user to install the Theme Editor, which for most users is not going to be nearly as useful as the Reference Guide.

As it stands, AFAIK, a user has to do a good bit of hunting to find it and keep it updated.

• Great Idea 1

• Morten Saether changed the title to Reference Guide PDF now available [Updated 28-Apr-2020]
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

NB: While opening the Cakewalk Reference Guide on my iPad.

Does anyone else experience the Cakewalk Reference Guide pdf closing whenever a link is selected. It doesn’t happen with other PDF files only with the Cakewalk Reference guides. The current and previous 2 versions all exhibit this behaviour.

I can touch and scroll a page but as soon as I tap a link in the table of contents, bang, it closes,

• Morten Saether changed the title to Reference Guide PDF now available [Updated 10-Nov-2020]

The current release is now November, 2020.

Mort and all the developers involved in maintaining the Reference Guide, thank you for your tireless effort.

😂  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! 😁 Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! 🙄

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Morten Saether changed the title to Reference Guide PDF now available [Updated 4-Jan-2022]