Take Lanes state Today

Logan_4600

Ag

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

If I stop the recording, top it, and start over, it will of course leave a stub clip. And then when I start recording again and Cakewalk comes to that point in the tracking, it will stop recording in the current clip in the current lane and start a new clip adjacent to the stub clip in the previous lane and continue the recording in that clip.

Now I am understanding your situation better now and I agree with David on this. That ain't right. It shouldn't be doing this. I am going upstairs and see if I can replicate your issue also.

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This is fixed for next release...

Will I still be able to record on a lane even if there are no selected/promoted clips on that lane?

Or will this fix only affect lanes that are muted by the mute button?

15 hours ago, David Baay said:

hat's unusual. If 'Create New Lanes on Overlap' is enabled, CbB should put the whole new take in a new lane. I played around, and was unable to make it do otherwise, regardless of where a 'stub' from a previously aborted take started and ended.

But if you don't intend to keep partial takes, you can just Ctrl-Z to undo the aborted recording, which will delete the partially recorded lane and heal the splits in previous takes.

I've found that to be true, from what I recall, that if Create New Lanes on Overlap is selected, it will put the take in the new lane, however, it will also create a split in the new take just at the previous take's boundaries.

And yes, you can delete your aborted takes, but you don't always want to, sometimes you were doing okay before you trainwrecked and want to keep that take for possible comping.

I'm assuming I abort a take, but keep it for whatever reason. And I may abort at different (and arbitrary) places at several different points in the process, so each time, I wind up with these splits that are there for no reason.

I'm sure there's an easy way to get rid of the splits in the clips that I just haven't learned yet, but I would like to turn off the action of putting in splits where I don't need them to begin with.

I'm interested to see if there are other behaviors that will change along with Noel's good news.

Edited by Starship Krupa

Ha! So I had always just deleted a stub when comping, so I didn't have any idea what some of you were talking about. But I just tried it then, that is the recording of more takes after a stub cut off and why does it spilt other takes like that??? Totally get it now! Record needs to only effect a new lane and shouldn't be splitting in line with previous lanes, it makes no sense.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm sure there's an easy way to get rid of the splits in the clips that I just haven't learned yet, but I would like to turn off the action of putting in splits where I don't need them to begin with.

To heal splits, you can swipe through an entire take lane, starting outside the longest running clip with the Comp tool in the lower half of the lane; usually that means swiping from right to left, and swiping past 1:01:000 to avoid creating a new split where you start or end the swipe.

Or you can select the track or any lane in it and Ctrl+click any selected segment with the Comp tool. Both methods will heal all splits in all takes. To heal a single split just select any two adjacent clips, and Ctrl-click one of them with the Comp tool.

Edited by David Baay
Corrected Shift+click to Ctrl+click
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

14 hours ago, David Baay said:

Or you can select the track or any lane in it and Ctrl+click any selected segment with the Comp tool. Both methods will heal all splits in all takes. To heal a single split just select any two adjacent clips, and Ctrl-click one of them with the Comp tool.

I was going to tell him about your first suggestion, that's what I do.

But your second suggestion is news to me! : ) Thanks David!

Thank you, gentlemen! Come on baby, let's heal the splits....

Not sure what the logic is behind it, with my workflow it has resulted in automatically comped tracks containing my first take up to a string of flubs! That is until I sort everything out.

I do think the documentation page could be clearer on what the user will get with the various options selected, and which ones should be selected for various workflow styles. Obviously, not everyone works and thinks in the same way.

It might benefit me to work more like Grem and break my songs down into smaller pieces rather than try for full length takes. It's probably just that I started with cassette 4-tracks 30 years ago and am only now learning other ways. I think of a song as something that I play all the way through, and isn't it nice that we have so much better ways of chopping up different takes and stitching them together.

It doesn't occur to me to record the verse part as many times as I need to until I get the take that does it for me, then the bridge 10 times until I nail it, then the chorus, etc. and comp all the best takes together. But there's no reason it shouldn't.

After this long discussion and my own ongoing testing of different modes and options, I'm curious as to who uses Overwrite mode, and what their workflow is. My own experience with it was sort of like the ending to Avengers: Infinity Wars.

The reason the clip gets split I think is because of comping. If you notice, all clips gets split all in the same place, like it does when you make your sections to comp. Not sure if this as intended or a type bug. 

if you do go with the section parts like I do, you might wanna think about doing them all the same day with the same feel. I have done sections over time and they all did not have the same feel/sound to them. Had to go back and redo them! So keep that in mind. Like you, all I use to do was record to tape.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:31 PM, micv said:

Could you confirm and show me where in the menu it is?  I don't see any envelop in the Right click menu.

For me the env cannot be activated in the Take Lane once moved out of the that lane.  You can collapse the lanes and go to the Track and edit the clipthere but not in the Take Lane.

A little late to the party, but since I do use clip envelopes fairly often...    if you have Take Lanes expanded, try Ctrl+Clicking on the clip gain envelope - that should activate it.   Although, Shift+Click does seem like the right gesture since it works in the parent track to activate the envelope or the clip.

Also, you can use Ctrl+Drag on a clip with no gain envelope to create a new one on-the-fly.